aberdeen-music

Plug-ins (VST, Audio Units etc)

Alkaline

Cos they are made for purpose. A daw is made to be able to do everything. Someone like waves concentrate mostly on making these types of products. The time and precision is higher. I mainly use built in fx most the time but have the onboard plugins from Ableton, cubase and reason so get a good choice. You can still get hold of quite a lot of free plugins.

I use lots of different vst effects and instruments also in the past have used plenty audio units. What sort of music do you play and is it effects u are looking into or instruments. Kev

Hi Kev, It's more effects for mixing/mastering than instruments. I play in a punk band myself and record/mix/master our stuff but I'm keen to look at doing the same for other bands of different music styles to gain some experience.

Cool, if its for mixing and mastering izotope ozone is a great all in one mastering/mixing tool.. Depending on what your using computer wise abbey road eq's and compressors are excellent too. Also have a look at the ik multimedia website for nice effects. Try and get trial versions and give them a go!

I'm using a 2012 Mac Mini. I'll give those a look, cheers.

That will be an intel cpu so compatibility wont be an issue.. Are the mac minis good for recording purposes ie no lagging when you record lots of tracks?. I was offered one and wasnt sure of it.

Seems to be fine to me through what I've recorded/mixed. Mine could benefit from a bit more memory (currently only sitting at 4GB) but It's not a massive deal.

Also, there's nowhere near enough of this sort of chat on here.

Edited by Alkaline
  • Upvote 2

Izotope ozone is really good.  I think all of their products are worth a look..http://www.izotope.com/

I used to use this one a lot http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/dynamic_processors/psp_vintagewarmer2/

I recently got a Universal Audio Apollo 16 so been messing around with the UAD powered plugins... some of them are outstanding.  I really liked the tape machine plugins although only got to use them as demos.  They are on the expensive side.

This thread is relevant to my interests. I haven't used VSTs for a while (I got a maschine and switched to using pretty much only samples and the stock effects, etc that come with the maschine) but Ive now bought a midi controller because as great as the Maschine is, it's not ideal for developing melodies (also a bit fiddly when it comes to plug ins). I'm gonna dust off that hard drive with loads of VSTs.

Here's some good uns...

http://www.musictech.net/2013/10/freeware-synths-ten-of-the-best/

This thread is relevant to my interests. I haven't used VSTs for a while (I got a maschine and switched to using pretty much only samples and the stock effects, etc that come with the maschine) but Ive now bought a midi controller because as great as the Maschine is, it's not ideal for developing melodies (also a bit fiddly when it comes to plug ins). I'm gonna dust off that hard drive with loads of VSTs.

Here's some good uns...

http://www.musictech.net/2013/10/freeware-synths-ten-of-the-best/

I didn't know you were a fellow Maschine owner! I know Colin (RockAustin) has one. It's great at beats and triggering but you definitely need a midi controller of some description to take advantage of Massive, which has an epic array of synths.

Edited by Alkaline

I've had it for about a year now and really wanted to get to know it inside out before I added to my setup. Which I think I've done now. I'm an absolute devotee now - it's such a fantastic bit of hardware/software. I love how pretty much everything can be done on the hardware and if you know what you're doing, you hardly have to look at your screen. I really can't talk it up enough. I haven't yet splashed out on all the add-ons (again, because I wanted to really master the basics first) but I'm definitely gonna get some of the komplete bundles etc.

I'm at the point where I can make a solid beat with both the samples that come with the thing and using samples I record myself (youtube > mp3 > wav) - it's a lot of fun. Going a step beyond that and turning what I'm doing into more than just a few nice breaks and vaguely arranged synth patterns or whatever is what I want to do now so I got a Novation Launchkey controller and a doohicky that lets me connect my ipad to use it both as another controller and make use of the loads of synth apps out there. Both are in the post so I can't wait to get started. - I decided upon this setup with the help of Rockolinaustin.

He was actually over visiting me the other week and I was proud to say that I was able to show him a few new things on the Maschine (seeing as he's mr synth/electronic equipment I thought that was quite an accomplishment)

• Upvote 1

The iConnect Midi 2+ interface that you bought ca_gear is sounding more and more like an amazing purchase.  I think it will open the door for iPad to run all your softsynths externally freeing up your computer to purely process the sound.  If that is the case then we can expect a new swathe of softsynths for tablets/touch devices in the near future.  That is amazing news as the quality of the instruments will go up and they will remain as stand alone allowing you to use them straight up without a DAW.  Might get myself an iPad now.  

• Upvote 1

It was an accidental change, I thought I had the ability to change the bit above my avatar.  We've still got to have that synth session at some point how is that rack thing you bought working out?

Anyone got any reverb plugin recommendations? 

Yeah, I'm still interested in that, I haven't got a midi controller yet though and baby related nonsense is slowing my music progress at the moment as well :p