aberdeen-music

Your unpopular food opinions.

Paranoid Android

Tennants isn't veggie either. At least, it wasn't when I was vegan. Neither are some whiskies - can't remember which specifically though.

xx

It is vegan. Has been for a while. Barnivore is a great resource for checking this as they update every couple of months, with information directly obtained from manufacturers and suppliers. You should have a look.

Most whisky is vegan. You just need to watch for some of the sherry-cask aged stuff as the oak might still contain traces of egg.

It is vegan. Has been for a while. Barnivore is a great resource for checking this as they update every couple of months, with information directly obtained from manufacturers and suppliers. You should have a look.

Most whisky is vegan. You just need to watch for some of the sherry-cask aged stuff as the oak might still contain traces of egg.

Ah, must have updated their recipe. I'm sure it was Tennants and Fosters were the two that were in my local that were non-vegan although that site says Fosters is vegan now, too!

xx

Ah, must have updated their recipe. I'm sure it was Tennants and Fosters were the two that were in my local that were non-vegan although that site says Fosters is vegan now, too!

xx

It wasn't when I first became vegan, but got certified by the Vegetarian Society a couple of years ago. I don't drink Fosters, last time I checked, some of it is vegan, but it depends where it's produced. Saying that I'm not much of a fan of Tennents either, but it's nice to have options!

It wasn't when I first became vegan, but got certified by the Vegetarian Society a couple of years ago. I don't drink Fosters, last time I checked, some of it is vegan, but it depends where it's produced. Saying that I'm not much of a fan of Tennents either, but it's nice to have options!

Oh fuck yeah, Tennants and Fosters are both bogwater IMO, I avoided them anyway! Just have to know these things when it's such a major part of your life.

xx

It is whisky that definitely isn't vegetarian that he drinks, as he's giggled it off. 

Ah, well for Tennants he's okay then - I didn't realise the recipe had changed, I don't drink the stuff.

Chutney != jam, yes it is sweet but at least it's a bit vinegary/spiced and that's enough that it doesn't fall foul of the following:

Here's something I don't like - mixing savoury and sweet.  I don't take apple sauce with pork, I don't take cranberry sauce with turkey, and don't get me started on cheese with fruit invading it.  No thank you.

From vegansociety.com:

Alcoholic drinks, particularly beer and wine, are often fined (clarified) using animal-derived substances.

These include:

- gelatine (made from bones and connective tissues) 
- isinglass (from the swim bladders of fish)
- casein (derived from milk)
- chitosan (made from crustaceans) 
- egg albumen   

Finings are most commonly used to remove sediment from the finished product.

Obviously, honey whisky is out too. 

All cheese is disgusting. Why do you people eat it? Don't you realise it's the worst? What the hell is wrong with all of society?

Agreed about olives, though. Every time I'm in an Italian restaurant and they bring some over, though, I still always take one, convinced that one day I'll like them. I don't yet. Salty piss grenades.

Also agreed with tomato ketchup hate despite my love of tomatoes. I think, as with my hatred of fish and seafood, it's the smell.

Raisins and currants can fuck off too, especially their presence in cake. Fruit in cake in general is wrong. I like fruit, but just let cake be cake, bro.

Courgettes and cucumbers, also no. They're just watery and disgusting. I think other than them, though, I like all vegetables.

I don't really eat meat but would never label myself as a vegetarian because I feel it implies I give a shit about animals, rather than just not enjoying the taste and texture of meat (except bacon, although it needs to be crispy as hell and not that pale, floppy, fatty shit that burger vans throw in 14p softies). Also, it means you have to be strict about it, when I'll happily eat bacon and chicken when out if there's nothing else I want. I think vegan food is delicious and I would definitely live solely on it if I wasn't so lazy.

I love how aggressive a lot of the posts in this thread are. This is my favourite forum on the whole internet for the hilarious food-defensiveness.

• Upvote 1