aberdeen-music

a womens guide to gaming ;)

Little Green

right ok so i'm possibly thinking of getting an xbox 360 or ps3 (i'm about a decade behind the times right?) haha

but then i start looking at ones for sale and i'm like holy crap there are different types and idk the differences... :/

so yeah can anyone help me out.

first of all (and i know this is controversial/probably stupid) but xbox 360 v ps3? i understand it'll probably come down to opinion but is one better?

right so there is the ps3, the ps3 slim & the ps3 superslim.

the ps3 is the only one that is back compatible right?

xbox there is xbox 360, arcade & elite?

so for both the ps3 & the xbox360 what are the differences in the models? does newer mean better? 

yeah just tell me everything i should know.

obviously i'm aware the ps4 is about to come out...... which raises the question should i bother investing in a "dated" console (the ps3 or xb360?)

if it helps/matters i've had a ps1,ps2 & psp.... i have an xperia sp too which is playstation certified but i think i need a sony bravia tv to actually hook it all up and who the hell can afford one of those :p

ps. no offence intended in the title, was a joke :)

It really depends on budget. Ps3 id free online but the games tend to be a bit more expensive where as x box you pay for online and its a better experiance in my eye and games are reasonably priced newer doesnt mean better. With the slim 360 its wireless enabled and not as noisy but storage aint that good. Id really suggest x box if i were you thats just the main things

newer ps3s won't play ps2 games. as YoungA said online is free for playstation, but contrary to what he said, i'd say the online experience on xbox isn't that much better anymore. it used to be the case but now? not so much. just depends on who's hosting the games etc.

When it comes to the different models I think they all have different sized hard drives. no point buying a ps3 with a 12GB harddrive when you're gonna play GTA which is a 5GB installation. A lot of xbox users rave about the controller, I don't personally like it, but go in to HMV or game or something where they have consoles set up and play on them and see what you like best.

As you said, ps4 is about to come out, but I'm holding off too.

I haven't noticed a big difference in game prices. Just depends where you shop I think. Oh, and ps3 can play blu-rays. And you have a psp, which can be used on some games I think. 

the psp i have is the 2003 version.

when you say online do you mean like if i want to play against say a freind who is at their own house. i get i can play anyone in the world if i have their user number (haha technically term ;p )

bc i'd be really against paying to play online if that's what it means.

i'm not a big gamer but i am an idiot XD (and buy things i dont need) so i considered the ps4 but idk its new realse and arent a lot of bugs etc picked up at that time people say its better to wait a bit.

also will the ps3/xb360 be considered "outdated"

the psp i have is the 2003 version.

when you say online do you mean like if i want to play against say a freind who is at their own house. i get i can play anyone in the world if i have their user number (haha technically term ;p )

bc i'd be really against paying to play online if that's what it means.

i'm not a big gamer but i am an idiot XD (and buy things i dont need) so i considered the ps4 but idk its new realse and arent a lot of bugs etc picked up at that time people say its better to wait a bit.

also will the ps3/xb360 be considered "outdated"

Yeah, to play other people and friends online, it's free for ps3 and you have to pay for xbox live.

I don't think it'll be outdated. maybe in a year. when that time comes around just trade it in. job's a good'un.

lol i still have my ps2..... i never play it.... :/

and well that sux about the xb360 who wants to pay to play against their friends?

how much are the consoles roughly worth nowadays? i'd be looking to buy second hand off a private seller. are there any issues i should be wary of? (console specific i mean lol)

was the first ps3 wireless controller as well? (i'm not blonde honest ;).... just female)

.... the real problem is i make things hard for myself i like to know everything about an item before i buy it :$

lol i still have my ps2..... i never play it.... :/

and well that sux about the xb360 who wants to pay to play against their friends?

how much are the consoles roughly worth nowadays? i'd be looking to buy second hand off a private seller. are there any issues i should be wary of? (console specific i mean lol)

was the first ps3 wireless controller as well? (i'm not blonde honest ;).... just female)

.... the real problem is i make things hard for myself i like to know everything about an item before i buy it :$

Older ps3s are prone to YLOD. Older xboxs are prone to RROD. So be wary of that. and aye, the first ps3 controllers were wireless but didn't have vibrators in them.

ylod is the overheating problem.

meh.

so basically no excessive gameplay and the situation might be avoided?

2 people i know have had first model ps3's for 5-6 years and havent had that problem so is it down to luck....

so if i'm buying second hand as long as i see it in action first it should be fine?

does the first model have different disc slots then if it plays ps2 games & dvds as well as ps3 games & blueray? (bc i'm sure i read somewhere that the reason ps3 couldnt play ps2 games was bc it had a different reader/format)

ylod is the overheating problem.

meh.

so basically no excessive gameplay and the situation might be avoided?

2 people i know have had first model ps3's for 5-6 years and havent had that problem so is it down to luck....

so if i'm buying second hand as long as i see it in action first it should be fine?

does the first model have different disc slots then if it plays ps2 games & dvds as well as ps3 games & blueray? (bc i'm sure i read somewhere that the reason ps3 couldnt play ps2 games was bc it had a different reader/format)

not entirely sure. I just know that my first ps3 let me play old games, my second one didn't. haha.

haha i dont do shops with warrantys - which is gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

you know my problem? the fact i love a bargain.

do i need a ps3/xb360? no. will i use it? i'm hoping so.

but i was browsing around and stumbled upon a few that seem to be rather the bargain and i'm like i must have it. because it's a good deal! despite the fact i dont need it and probably wont use it enough to justify spending x amount of money on it. i can get it at a price lower than its worth and that is a good deal and so i must (must) buy it.

anyone know the rough value of these consoles? (just to be sure its a bargain ;) )

you don't pay extra for manufacturers warranties.

you are thinking about when argos asks you for extended guarantee.

usually you are covered by the place you bought it from money back warranty period within 30day, after that you contact the supplier. but in most cases if you still have the receipt and want an exchange the store will usually offer a replacement outwith the grace period if you stand your ground.

lmao how can you lose a games console.

yeah i dont really buy things from cex for exactly that reason its cheaper on gt or ebay. even ebay has a slightly better comeback that gt.

but as someone said no comeback if things go ape shit..... and one day it will come back to bite me in the ass. i think ps3 have not too bad memore apart from the 12gb superslim and apparently gta5 takes 5gb to install..... how can a game need so much space.