aberdeen-music

Santana "Saltana"

aly salam

Hi All,

About a year a go "Saltana" played their last gig. If you are not familiar with the name, we were one of only 2 Santana tribute bands in the UK and I was the drummer.

Now, I am thinking very very seriously of reviving "Saltana" except this time with Fresh faces and Fresh talents. Myself and the most talented Brazilian percussionist in the land will cover the percussion part.

So, heres the talent were after:

- 2 very accomplished singers that are not frightened of venturing into singing in Spanish (sometimes).

- 1 accomplished Bass Player.

- 1 accomplished Keyboard Player with reasonably good sounding gear (including Hammond and solid Brass sounds).

- 1 EXCELLENT Lead guitarist (and I mean EXCELLENT. After all, you will be plying Santana Solos). Also make sure you can reproduce the very distinctive Santana Guitar sound.

- 1 good Trumpet player.

- 1 good Trombone player.

Please Note: We are after talented and accomplished musicians therefore, if you are not well experienced then please make sure you have enough talent to do the job whatever age you happen to be. My recommendation is to listen to some old and new Santana work and honestly ask yourself if you can cut it.

Many thanks

Aly

• 2 weeks later...
I second that... I ain't a covers person myself... especially not when its just a tribute to one artist' date=' regardless of whether it is a great artist like santana[/quote']

Yeah people would much rather be in a blue/progish open minded sort of affair. Especially if they play keyboard/synth :up:

Thanks guys for your replies, I am glad at least someone is talking to me.

I do appreciate what you are saying about covering, and I will be one of the first people to advocate playing and creating your own material. I have been plying original material for a number of years now including Idle Youth Athletic and The Pictones. With all that said, I really should apologise for not making myself clear. I have always had a particular passion for plying progressive Latin music and most of all Santana and really was looking for musicians that share that passion especially for Santana music.

<slinks out after hi-jacking>

Now' date=' I am thinking very very seriously of reviving "Saltana" except this time with Fresh faces and Fresh talents. Myself and the most talented Brazilian percussionist in the land will cover the percussion part.

Aly[/quote']

Would that be Rossini? i think he lives in aberlour..

No i've never heard the band before, but i have encountered Rossini on a few of his trips to Prosound music on holburn street, and have heard some of the cd he made with his twin brother Rossano. He is an excellent percussionist, and the only brazilian i've ever met so i was taking an educated guess! Im sure Saltana was/will be a fantastic outfit if he's involved.

No i've never heard the band before' date=' but i have encountered Rossini on a few of his trips to Prosound music on holburn street, and have heard some of the cd he made with his twin brother Rossano. He is an excellent percussionist, and the only brazilian i've ever met so i was taking an educated guess! Im sure Saltana was/will be a fantastic outfit if he's involved.[/quote']

Thank you Bobby, you are too kind. Well, the idea has now changed somewhat, the band will be a Latin band that will play elements of Santana. However, there will be Salsa, Afro Cuban and other Latin vains. In short, a Latin band for people to mostly dance to. The lineup so far is totally just core people:

Mike Rae on Bass.

Aly Salam on Drums and Percussion.

Scotty Cruickshank on Lead Guitar.

and last but by no mean least is master

Rossini on Percussion.

WE hope to see you at one of the gigs Bobby. I don't know when that will be, but hopefully soon.

Cheers

Aly