aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2014

Soda Jerk

Just signed a contract extension halfway through my first season with Aberdeen keeping me at the club until 2016.  Currently 2nd in the league but annoying lost out in the league cup quarter final with a tight 1-0 defeat to Hearts. Bastards.

Mix of youth and experience and fearless attacking football is doing the business.  Though there's some shocking defending at times.

I was wrong to slag off Guardiola. Bit of a late bloomer I guess. He hasn't dropped points since February, and is now 11 points clear. The JAMMY CUNT.

Rigid/balanced/fluid?

Attacking/Counter?

Balanced and Rigid. I switch to Control if I'm playing some relegation fodder, and I go ATTACKING when I need a goal. Mostly works.

I never use Overload, because that seems to either do nothing, Or it seems to tell me entire team to go FUCKING BONKERS!

I was drawing 0-0 away to Hamburg, but I was bossing everything. 60% possession, 20 shots on target to their 2. 5 minutes left, and I'm thinking "I got this!" but I just needed a bit of oomph, so I go Overload, and change my tactics to pump ball in the box, clear to flanks, all the usual stuff. I just need a goal, because Hamburg were useless,

I lost. 5 minutes left and I lost. Narrow defeat? Nah mate. FOUR FUCKING NIL. Van Der Vaart scores a hat trick in 5 minutes and my goalkeeper scores an own goal in stoppage time, from a Van der Vaart shot.

VAN DER VAAAAAAAAAAART

vader.jpg

Edited by Joda Serk

Was 2nd in the league, playing slick attacking football and scoring goals galore. Culminating in a 9-2 demolition of East Stirlingshire in the league cup.  Shortly after I got cuffed 8-2 by Celtic in some kind of karmic retribution and since then everything's gone to shit. Abysmal defending seems to be the order of the day for my dons team. I've changed tactics employing a defensive midfielder instead of an attacker sitting behind the striker and occasionally shifted the wingers back to a flat middle four. Now it's like Craig Brown never left, endless draws. Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, tell me how to train tactics, so I can get the 'familiarity' bar higher than "AWKWARD".

I got it just less than half way up earlier last season, to "COMPETENT" but as soon as the winter break kicked in, it was back down to "ELEVEN HEADLESS CHICKENS". I play with the same 4-3-3 formation all the time. I used 4-4-2 for 5 or 6 games, but went back to 4-3-3, as I'm a sucker for a holding midfielder.

My coaches are great, My squad is great. Match training is maxed out on LOADS OF MATCH TRAINING. The general training is Tactics. The match preparation is Team Cohesion. It raises it very gradually, but then goes back down to zero at every break in the season, and I can't devote any time to anything else other than tactics, which seems a bit mental.

Tell me what you're doing, so I can copy it.

Still playing FM2010 myself, started a new career a few months back with East Fife, mid-table in Scottish Division 2. Escaping Division 2 didn't seem like that much of a challenge, I always find getting decent staff in place makes a huge difference, and after filling the holes in the squad, shipping out some of the old bastards and filling the team with promising (free) youngsters and sorting out the backroom stuff, winning the league came pretty easily. CHAMPIONES!

Second season, new boys in Division 1, I struggled most of the season but went on a run at the end and finished 8th. Third season I finished top of Division 1 and went up to the SPL, turned the club professional, and suddenly I was hot property. A few clubs starting sniffing around me, but I stuck with East Fife, strengthened the squad a bit more, and finished 5th in the SPL in my fourth season. Mid table Division 2 to mid table SPL in four seasons. OK I cheated a little bit in my last season.

By this point I was one of the most sought after young managers in Europe, being linked with mid-table clubs in Serie A, La Liga, and the Bundesliga. Deciding I'd taken East Fife as far as I could I started weighing up the options. Where would I go next? Stuttgart? Espanyol? Udinese? Nah. When the opportunity arose to manage one of my favourite clubs I had to make the jump. Aberdeen. Pittodrie. Where potential comes to die. The board has just lost patience with Billy Reid after finishing 11th in the SPL, and I thought I could cement my reputation with a move "up" to a bigger Scottish team and another couple of seasons in Scotland. The first season was pretty incredible. I poached all East Fife's good players, picked up Wayne Routledge on a free, and although I didn't win any silverware, I finished 2nd in the SPL, and qualified for the Champions League. I was being linked with a host of big clubs, like a Scottish Pep Guardiola. Despite this, things weren't great behind the scenes. The players hated me. Pretty much my entire squad had "Slight concern" about the way I conducted myself, whether it be not giving people enough playing time (I had a huge squad), the way I spoke to them on match days or whatever else. It was all fucking Charlie Mulgrew's fault, the cunt. He was unhappy because I wouldn't let him move to a bigger club and his bullshit attitude spread through the club, and soon they were all "dismayed by the lack of harmony in the club". By January I was sick of the moaning cunt so I released him on a free transfer. FUCK OFF CHARLIE MULGREW. This did nothing to appease the rest of the players who were incensed at the treatment of their captain. The board were never more than "Satisfied" with my performance all season due to the mood in the dressing room, which they were "monitoring". 

My second season should have gone so well. I'd kept the squad who finished second, added a few new faces and was in the Qualifying rounds of the Champion's League. But the players still hated me. I got off to an absolute disaster of a start. My pre-season went all to hell due to having to play games in Europe so the players weren't fit. I made it through the first round of Qualifiers then got knocked out by Arsenal, despite battling to a 0-0 draw at the Emirates. My keeper got injured and my star striker got injured. 10 games into the SPL season I was languishing bottom of the league with 0 wins and I'd only scored two goals. Then the "dismayed by the lack of harmony" brigade were joined by the "concerned by the team underperforming" and the writing was on the wall. Fuck these ungrateful assholes I thought. Don't they know I am? DON'T THEY KNOW HOW LUCKY THEY ARE TO HAVE ME. I'd fucking show them. So I applied for the vacant positions at Wigan and Southampton in the Premiership. The board got wind of me looking elsewhere and immediately sacked me. Unperturbed, I sat back and waited for the job offers to start rolling in. Imagine my shock when I was overlooked by both Wigan and Southampton for Kevin Blackwell and Mick fucking McCarthy. Mick McCarthy? Are you fucking kidding me Southampton? Why do you want that cunt when you could get one of the promising managers in Europe? 

Next up came Everton. I could manage Everton. Apply. Continue. Check news feed. "Kenwright laughs off interest from Rathen: Bill Kenwright has dismissed the possibilty of hiring Lucky Rathen as Everton's next manager, stating that hiring a manager of his stature would do nothing to help the club progress". Surely there must be some mistake. I'm Lucky fucking Rathen! My reputation is Continental. Or is it? I looked at my profile. National. NATIONAL! Somehow during the Aberdeen debacle my reputation had gone backwards. How could I go from Contintenal to National? Did people in Europe just forget who I was? I took Aberdeen into the Champion's League for fuck's sake! Fuck Aberdeen, and the fans, and Charlie Mulgrew. I realised then I'd become a footballing pariah. Nobody would touch me. Montpellier? Your application has been unsuccessful. Bristol City? Your application has been unsuccessful. Doncaster? Your application has been unsuccessful. I felt like Steve McLaren. Could this be it for me? Resigned to football's scrapheap at the age of 35?

After 3 months on the dole queue suddenly the phone rang.

"Lucky, this is Robbie Cowling"

"Who?"

"Robbie Cowling. I'm the chairman of Colchester United".

"OK, I'm listening."

"How would you like to be our new manager?"
"Are you fucking serious? I'm one of the most promising managers in Europe! I've been linked with Inter Milan! I'm not managing fucking Colchester!"

"You're not though. You made such a cunt of yourself at Aberdeen you'd be lucky to get a job managing a Sainsbury's. It's this or you go be a pundit on Albanian Match Of The Day"

"Fine. I'll come in for an interview. Just one question though."

"Go on."

"Where the fuck is Colchester?"

And so my Facebook feed reads "Lucky Rathen checked in at Weston Homes Community Stadium, Colchester" with the comment "OMG, new job, woooooo!". 10th in League One at the start of January, they've told me the minimum expectation is promotion. No mean feat considering they don't have a single left midfielder or a defensive midfielder, no coaches, one scout and the defence is leakier than a pair of ripped old Converse. First order of business, 6 coaches in, 6 scouts in, an assistant manager in, and a 60k deal (my entire transfer budget) to bring in 33-year-old Mark Kerr from Aberdeen. 2 games played, 2 wins and the playoffs aren't too far out of my grasp. It's an honour to be working here. Where the hell is Colchester again?

Fuck Aberdeen and fuck Charlie Mulgrew.

After reading this thread decided to go back to my 2013 Cambridge save, have won the Capital One Cup twice on the bounce with my fringe players and then went and won the Champions League last season, no mean feat considering expectation was 1st knockout round.  But cannot win the Premier League for love nor money and it is my last unfulfilled ambition on this version of the game.  And this season looking unlikely as well off the pace cos I keep drawing against the likes of Stoke and fucking Fulham.  Have bagged the prestigious Club World Championship and European Super Cup this season though... decided that is it, this is my last season on 2013, they have copies of 2014 for sale in the club shop at Cambridge and gonna buy the new one before our boxing day match against Braintree. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you keep Adnan Januzaj? He turns out absolutely mental on this game. Just ridiculous. Plays everywhere. Get Darren Fletcher tutoring him, and he will just take the piss. He's totally loyal, so he never gets his head turned by Madrid, and he's determined to always improve. You can give him all the bollockings imaginable, and he will always be LOOKING FIRED UP!

Unless you buy Pogba in the first possible window, he seems pretty impossible to buy so I've found, but a good option to bring back (and to adhere to your British philosophy) is Ravel Morrison, who also turns out pretty monstrous. Not quite at Pog or Januzaj's level, but he's available relatively cheap, and he always seems interested in signing for United.

Fernando Llorente is just twatting them in for me in my 2nd season at Hertha. 22 goals, 22 games. He wasn't getting a game at Juve, but I rescued that beautiful, blue eyed adonis. I drew Juve in the Champions League group too, beating them 3-0 home and away. Have it!

Sitting 2nd in the league, 7 points behind Bayern, who don't lose ever. Except to me. They're gonna slip. I can feel it.

January Window is about to open, and I need a good back up striker. Any suggestions? I've taken on a few washed up strikers to be rotation options, including Berbatov and Eto'o, both of who are godawful, and failed to score a SINGLE GOAL. Eto'o currently has an average rating of 5.51. He is just the worst.

Once the third update patch (it may be entitled 14.03.03 or something similar) is available, can someone please let me know? That will be my cue to purchase the game and install the relevant update patch.

I have spent the last week finally getting in to FM13, and it is seriously fucking sexy. Almost one season down with Aberdeen, and I have secured second spot before the league split and reached semi-finals of both domestic cups. Kris Boyd and Jari Litmanen were my only signings, and both have been utterly rubbish. I released Litmanen from his 3.1k per week wages in January. I'll learn from that mistake. I currently have a transfer embargo in place due to to takeover talks, so who knows what will happen in the summer. I hope I can bring some new faces in, but in the meantime I can't even offer terms to those with contracts expiring.

I'm perfecting my 2-4-3-1, and it really is solid as fuck. I have a better defensive record than Celtic, despite having Jamie Langfield in goals, and Considine and Reynolds as ball playing centre-backs. I look forward to seeing how it translates to FM14, but in the meantime I just hope the club doesn't fiscally collapse.

Just finished my 1st season with Liverpool. Without Europe it was a long season, I went out of both domestic cups early on but did pretty well with the League - finished 2nd after pushing Man Utd all the way to the final game. Had a fairly steady team playing a 4-1-2-3 with two wingers supporting Suarez, who only scored 16 goals through the whole season but the wingers chipped in with 12 + 15, all in all, a good season.Looking forward to next season.