aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2014

Soda Jerk

They've given me 75 million to spend next season. I'm after a world class striker then investing the rest in young English players.

This didn't work out well. I dismantled a treble winning side, filled it with kids and Gareth Barry and now I'm 10th. I'm not even playing well but struggling to score, in being comprehensively outplayed and pinned in my own half in almost every game. My "world class striker" isn't even making the bench, but Jackson Martinez who I picked up fairly cheap is keeping me in a job with almost a goal a game.

Just given Barca the run around at the Nou Camp. 3-4. Barca were 3-0 up. Messi brace, and a Neymar penalty. My back four netted a goal each in the last 20 minutes. It's like I've got 4 Ronald Koemans back there.

De Vrij smashed in a close range volley in stoppage time to win it. Daley Blind sent Luis Suarez off on a stretcher.

Satisfaction.

RVP's been doing a solid job so far, though he's an emotionless stiff. Never responds either positively or negatively to anything I tell him. My rousing team talks have the whole starting 11 going totally ballistic with joy, except for Robin. No reaction. I gave him a few bollockings in his first half a dozen games for playing like shit. Nothing. Morale is always "Good" and on the pitch he is "Looking composed".

Robot van Persie.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

Much appreciated AdMo. I'm in the close season at the moment and won't get a chance to play for the next few days but I'll take all that on board and report back.

I'm going to experiment with 4-1-4-1 during pre-season. 4-5-1 served me well in the first but I think everyone has copped on now and I did better when I mixed it up a bit in the second season.

• 2 weeks later...

My 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2 variations are pretty great.  It's more like a 5-2-3, 5-1-3-1, 5-1-2-2, utilising a half back in the DM role.  I suppose you could also call it a back three as I use complete wing backs in the FB positions.  The philosophies are the same for all three formations, I just mix them up depending on who I'm playing/what formation I'm up against.  My usual is the 4-3-3 variation:

GK

CWB (a) - BPD (d) - BPD (d) - CWB (a)

HB (d)

DLP (d) - BBM (s)

AP (a)                                    AP (a)

AF (a)               

The 4-2-3-1 sees the BBM take up a supporting AP role in the whole and the 4-4-2 sees that position move up to Trequartista in the striker role, with the wide playmakers going into support mode.

I wanted a centre back that took the ball into midfield, which the HB role achieves (its basically a centre back who has more movement, like a Beckenbauer).  I also wanted wide APs as they seem to be the most effective role for wide roles in this game.  So many chances, its daft. 

Play fluid and controlling.

Play narrow, short passes, quick tempo, high line, early crosses, hassle opponents.

Some observations:

- Wing backs often get goals and MOM awards, it seems to work really well with world class full backs.

- Any 6'+ striker will score heaps, but seems best to have someone who can hold up play, or make goals for themself not an out and out target man; its just short, weak CFs seem to fail. 

- Wide APs get daft amounts of assists.  Like 20/season.

- I barely concede with the 4-3-3 incarnation, but leak goals with 4-4-2.  

- The midfield don't get high ratings but are almost certain to be around a 7 in every game.  very consistent.

- Centre backs get a lot of assists by playing quick balls over the top.

Try it out. 

Edited by Moose
  • Upvote 1