aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2014

Soda Jerk

Been playing this for the last week or so now :)

Did a season with Arsenal to get a feel for it all, only signed Benteke and Ashley Williams, oh and took an Argie winger Salvio on loan in January. Finished 2nd, knocked out the league cup in the 4th round, FA cup final defeat to Chelsea and a quarter final knock out against Bayern, so not too bad overall. Benteke is a beast as a lone striker, finished with 28 goals for me in his first season. Got bored of that quickly so i moved onto my long term Dons save already. 2nd in January, signed Lewis Milne, Jay Fulton, and Max Clayton on loan from Liverpool. 

Really enjoying this one so far, the ME looks much better this year, the transers are a bit better, and overall it just feels a bit smoother. 

I think it looks alot better. some bits have been streamlined, especially the inbox, where you can respond to the media, or transfer speculation or renegotiate within the message, rather than having to click away and then come back. I like that alot actually.

The tactics are completely different too. I can't decide if this is for better or worse yet. Less sliders and more "Do this, and NOT this, you twat!". It's black or white. Not "take a few shots, now and again". You either take shots constantly, or you never, ever, ever take shots.

Also, there's Financial Fair Play stipulations to abide to, which is weird, considering they are not in full force at all in real football yet. It makes it harder to be a big spender, unless you've got the wedge that you've earned yourself to back it.

There's an official real-time editor too, which you can sue in-game, rather than flicking in and out between FM and the unofficial real-time editor. I love to cause chaos. I usually load two nations and I cause mayhem in the nation I'm not managing in. Massive transfers between rivals, clubs into administration, changing star player relationships so they hate their current club and team mates, whilst I sit back and eat all the cake.

Goteborg is a dull save. They don't even have a domestic cup in Sweden. Or maybe they do, but FM haven't included it. Finished 3rd in the first season, 2 points off the title winners. Now I'm top and unbeaten 3/4 through the second season. 11 points clear. It's a snooze.

So I started again last night. Southampton. I'm going to mimic what they are doing at the moment. Bielsa style football. High line. Suicidal pressing. Then once in possession, everyone bombs forward.

I held a team meeting and told the boys that we can qualify for the Europa League. Everyone is enchanted by my lofty ambition. Little Nat Clyne chimes in, with his stupid fucking face, "Nah boss. We can't expect that this year". You're right, Nat. You won't be qualifying for Europe. Not whilst you're in the reserves. Fabio in on loan.

When will they learn?

• Upvote 2

Van Bastard makes typos too. They are the only errors he makes.

I've noticed that it seems possible to snatch just about anyone on loan, whereas previously, it was young players with potential who weren't in the first team yet, or unwanted players. I've got Benteke and Pjanic on loan, who are in neither of those categories. Swansea even agreed to loan me Michu, but I went with Pjanic instead, as his wages were less. Juventus also accepted a loan for Pogba, but I called that one off too, as he wanted silly money, and he's also a cunt.

It'll probably be fixed with the next patch, so you should loan everyone whilst you can.

Why is it taking my team forever to become comfortable with a formation? I'm at Christmas in the first season with Southampton, and the formation familiarity bar is very low, ranked at "awkward". Match training is on high. All the training focus is on tactics, teamwork, team cohesion. My coaches are good too. It's only 4-5-1. Nothing crazy. I'm doing shit. 2nd bottom. Can't score goals or keep possession. Probably because nobody knows how to play in the 2nd most basic football formation after 4-4-2.

What gives?!

I'm pretty sure I said this in the 2012 and 2013 threads but I'm still playing FM2010. Currently riding high in Division 1 as East Fife. Turned them from P/T to F/T and transformed the club. I've been offered some big jobs but not quitting until I've got East Fife into the Champion's League. AC Milan playing at Bayview. Just wait and see.

I got sacked at Southampton at the end of the first season, even though I finished 8th and scored the 3rd highest amount of goals in the league. The chairdame, Louise Cortese, didn't like that I didn't sign Italian players. And the fans hated that I sold "terrace favourite" Steven Diego Mara Davis.

The fuck?

Edited by Joda Serk

I got sacked at Southampton at the end of the first season, even though I finished 8th and scored the 3rd highest amount of goals in the league. The chairdame, Louise Cortese, didn't like that I didn't sign Italian players. And the fans hated that I sold "terrace favourite" Steven Diego Mara Davis.

The fuck?

Fully justified if you ask me. 

Im just reaching the end of my third season, Killie have humped me, Celtic have humped me, i can only beat Rangers at Ibrox and hibs are away to steal the last Euro cup slot from me, fuck FM. 

Why does telling my players at half time "You're playing well, but don't let your performance level drop" get such a terrible response. If I'm only winning 1-0, or 2-1, that sounds bang on to me. But every time, I get at least 4 or 5 players marked in red saying "Looked demotivated and confused". What's confusing about "You're playing good. So don't start playing shit, yeah?"

Fucking mongs.