aberdeen-music

Anyone know where I can get cheap kitchens?

Guest E.C

It's getting really annoying isn't it. If you google Kitchen Spam it's affecting loads of forums all over the country. Allegedly the work of just one cunt who owns a kitchen company. Posters on other forums have tracked him down and posted his address and phone number. Hopefully he's getting plagued with prank calls and pizzas and taxis turning up.

It reeks of scam.

You had any luck in suppressing the amount of posts?

Trying. This time last year they were literally spamming quicker than we could delete, I would block 10 new users, hit refresh and there would be another 10. So we changed it so that all new user sign ups had to be manually approved. Then we were getting about 200 new user sign-ups a day, and poor Dave had to trawl through them all manually every night and try to pick out the 1 or 2 genuine new users. That wasn't just for kitchens though, we were getting all sorts of weird spam for American sites and services. My favourite was for "trans-vaginal surgical mesh". Whatever the hell that is.

This guy is like the John McClane of kitchen spam.

I googled "kitchen spam" last night at your suggestion and watched the intro to that... so the guy is abroad (possibly Costa-del-Crime-style), the company grunts have no idea what's going on, and the actual spamming is being done from Indonesia? (the guy mentions "Indonesian spam bots" but as others have mentioned the fact they can circumvent captchas suggests humans...). Nasty.

I googled "kitchen spam" last night at your suggestion and watched the intro to that... so the guy is abroad (possibly Costa-del-Crime-style), the company grunts have no idea what's going on, and the actual spamming is being done from Indonesia? (the guy mentions "Indonesian spam bots" but as others have mentioned the fact they can circumvent captchas suggests humans...). Nasty.

Yup, most of the posts are made by humans in Indonesia. They are presumably paid pennies by this guy to go through the process of registering multiple accounts and making the posts, one-by-one. It's a fairly common problem on a lot of forums. I'm looking into simply blocking users based in specific countries from accessing the web site in order to prevent this from happening. I figure that not many people in Indonesia, China, Pakistan etc. need to be able to post on these forums...