aberdeen-music

Broccoli

Paranoid Android

What are your thoughts on broccoli?

I know kids / teenagers are famously not big fans of vegetable and particularly green ones but I'm surprised by how many of my students name Broccoli as their most hated food. It's chosen more than any other food by some margin. 

Broccoli is brilliant, a top 3 vegetable without a doubt. I had some at lunch today so I know what I'm talking about.

• Upvote 1

Number one veg, no contest. I think part of the problem is that it's a somewhat fragile beast. If boiled to death, it's second only to sprouts for grey, uninspiring plate foliage.

It used to be go-to soup for making back in my coffee shop days -onions, garlic, wad of broccoli, packet of crushed almonds, stock. Fire in a bit of goats cheese to serve if that's your thing.

• Upvote 1

Three cheers for all the broccoli love. Good to see most people are here are sensible on the matter. I agree boiling it can make it a bit shit though, if I do boil it it's only for a very short amount of time.

One thing I can't accept though is raw broccoli, I didn't even realise this was a thing people would eat raw until last year when I saw a friend take a piece out of the fridge and put it straight in her god. I was stunned. Another friend there at the time said it wasn't strange but I think the majority were on my side.

Big fan. Love it stir fried but it's not my top veg. In fact not even top 5.

Top 5 veg:

Peas - Can't beat them straight from the pod but brilliant with most meats and foolproof to cook. Make a good soup.

Carrots - You can make a cake with them. CAKE! Great with soups and awesome roasted.

Parsnips - a roast parsnip is a wonderful thing.

Sprouts - Yeah I went there. Fried with chestnuts and bacon. Awesome.

Spinach - Popeye_%20Picture_jpg.gif

Carrot, Parsnip, Sweet Potato and Broccoli are my Champions League co-efficient of Vegetables.

Cauliflower sometimes beats Brocolli to 4th spot, but both are superb under a massive splodge of cheese sauce.

Sweetcorn is the dark horse. Sometimes I gobble it down. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for it and don't eat it for weeks. Sometimes I want nothing more than a corn on the cob roasted and lathered in butter. Midtable fodder, capable of a surge.

Peas get relegated and enter administration. I just hate peas.

I forgot Onions. I'm not rejigging the crap anaology. Onions are just boss. Red onion in a BLT is magnificent.

Garlic. Garlic with everything. Garlic on your chips. Garlic in your coffee. Garlic in your petrol tank. Garlic. Is it a vegetable? Garlic doesn't care. Eat Garlic.

• Upvote 2