aberdeen-music

Reviews and Feedback for new bands

HonestCritic

Hi all,

I want to start a web page for new bands to get their demos/EPs reviewed and get feedback.

Also, the site will review local gigs and just general album releases that are of interest to the contributors to the site.

Are people interested in this? I was going to put the full site live soon (commitments depending).

The site will be here: http://www.honestcritic.com

So, if you're in a band and want your demo/EP/album reviewed, or you just want feedback, go to the site and e-mail the address there.

If it starts to take off I'll get more people on board. Ideally, I'd like more than one person to rep[ly to each submission as, obviously, opinions differ from person to person.

Cheers all.

HC

I couldn't edit my previous post, but I meant to say that I also wanted to help bands who may not want a review in public. I've spoken to musicians that want some feedback but would rather it was private. Before I put anything up I'd see if a band was happy with that first.

Obviously I'd ask before the review or it would just be an output of positive reviews! :)

When the site is done it'll state that they have to decide whether it's a public review or private feedback. Will be interesting to see what confidence comes through ;)

Reassuring you're not just going to be putting up possitive reviews from the sounds of things, theres a couple of local based sites which refuse to do this and it makes for a pretty crappy read.

I agree, while it's not nice to be told your Single, EP or Album is shit it's a necessary process to go through as a musician as it prepares you for the fact that:

• Not everyone will like your music
  • You'll have to develop a thick skin and not take reviews to heart
  • Criticism can be turned to a positive in that it can help you improve or refine your music if you want to grab the attention of the right people

I'm actually surprised you'll give the band a chance to not have it put up though, i'd be inclined to not give bands that option if I was doing the reviews.

I think that Aberdeen could really do with a local music blog which takes a more honest view of bands' gigs and releases. I think that the overall positivity and comaraderie of musicians in Aberdeen is a great thing, but a review site which wont honestly critique local music reads as more of a cheap advert for Aberdonian bands.

Of course, the blog has to be well written and well maintained, which is probably the most difficult part.

Edited by Jan

But you're going to have people sticking the boot in left right and centre if you make it outside Aberdeen. You can't and shouldn't expect all criticism to be constructive.

You really don't need to talk down to me about how the world is, but in fairness I should have made it clear that I was talking from my own critiquing point of view.  Don't get me wrong, if I don't like something I say so, and why.  But if I can't find one good thing to say about something, I don't write the piece in the first place.  It's about balance.  If I find something which I perceive to be poor, I feel it's more likely to help the content creator improve if there's a little bit of carrot in amongst all the stick.  Otherwise it's just "this is fucking shit" surrounded by some superfluous words which also mean "this is fucking shit", wrapped in some paper with "this is fucking shit" printed all over it tied up with a brown bow curled into the shape of a turd.  How does that help anyone?  So I don't do it.

That's just my take on criticism/critique, and I should have been specific about that in the first place.  Sorry about that.  Carry on!

• Upvote 1

You really don't need to talk down to me about how the world is, but in fairness I should have made it clear that I was talking from my own critiquing point of view.  Don't get me wrong, if I don't like something I say so, and why.  But if I can't find one good thing to say about something, I don't write the piece in the first place.  It's about balance.  If I find something which I perceive to be poor, I feel it's more likely to help the content creator improve if there's a little bit of carrot in amongst all the stick.  Otherwise it's just "this is fucking shit" surrounded by some superfluous words which also mean "this is fucking shit", wrapped in some paper with "this is fucking shit" printed all over it tied up with a brown bow curled into the shape of a turd.  How does that help anyone?  So I don't do it.

That's just my take on criticism/critique, and I should have been specific about that in the first place.  Sorry about that.  Carry on!

Who's talking down to you? Surely that's qualified criticism though and that's helpful in a different way to constructive criticism which is more along the lines of "here's what I didn't like and here's what I'd suggest doing to change it".

I agree with what you're saying otherwise though.

Don't take it out on Alkaline just because your band is shit, mate.

Who's talking down to you? Surely that's qualified criticism though and that's helpful in a different way to constructive criticism which is more along the lines of "here's what I didn't like and here's what I'd suggest doing to change it".

I agree with what you're saying otherwise though.

I stated a simple premise (about which I could have been clearer, admittedly) and got told how the world is and how it works, as if I am unaware.  I interpreted that negatively.  Perhaps I was too quick to judge, sorry about that.

I stated a simple premise (about which I could have been clearer, admittedly) and got told how the world is and how it works, as if I am unaware.  I interpreted that negatively.  Perhaps I was too quick to judge, sorry about that.

No probs, it wasn't meant like that at all, just as an opposing view of why I thought it was beneficial for bands to get both positive and negative feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Read what you've said and thanks for the chat.

The way I'm planning it, and it's still planning at the moment, is this:

A review: If I pick up an Album, EP, Demo, or see a band live the it's fair game. I or a contributor can write a review and that's that.

Feedback: This will be for the band and has to be asked for. This will be sent to a band after they have sent what they want feedback on.

Does that sound better? It does to me. 

Apart from my little rants/reviews on new albums by established bands I want to keep the reviews local. (For now anyway). Feedback will be from wherever.

OR

Reviews could be split in two: Local and Other.

Hoping to get shit done soon and get it all nailed down. Been a bit busier in the last wee while than expected, Once I have the site setup I'll be looking at people to contribute. Ideally I want a wide range of people with varying interests. I want a punk fan to feedback to a punk band. I don't want a hip-hop fan feeding back on a metal band.

Hopefully I'll have more soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Read what you've said and thanks for the chat.

The way I'm planning it, and it's still planning at the moment, is this:

A review: If I pick up an Album, EP, Demo, or see a band live the it's fair game. I or a contributor can write a review and that's that.

Feedback: This will be for the band and has to be asked for. This will be sent to a band after they have sent what they want feedback on.

Does that sound better? It does to me. 

Apart from my little rants/reviews on new albums by established bands I want to keep the reviews local. (For now anyway). Feedback will be from wherever.

OR

Reviews could be split in two: Local and Other.

Hoping to get shit done soon and get it all nailed down. Been a bit busier in the last wee while than expected, Once I have the site setup I'll be looking at people to contribute. Ideally I want a wide range of people with varying interests. I want a punk fan to feedback to a punk band. I don't want a hip-hop fan feeding back on a metal band.

Hopefully I'll have more soon.

All the best to in yr venture dude. There are a few blogs already that cover Aberdeen gigs/local stuff/gigs etc and they are bland as fuck mainly, so some straight talking would be a right sea change, or indeed some actual strongly held opinion of any sort.... Good luck.  keep us in the loop here...