aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves  Quite possibly the only concept record that I actually like, and even though I only heard it for the first time this year it's probably one of my favourite hip-hop albums of all time. A bunch of cool guest appearances, and the two main emcees and Prince Paul's production are awesome. Ridiculously good.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada

2-track EP that still lasts as long as some people's albums. This is my favourite of their records. First track, 'Moya' probably encapsulates everything that made Godspeed at their best an incredible listening experience. 'Blaise Bayley Finnegan III' intersperses street recorded interviews with a man ranting about paying speeding tickets and telling the judge to go fuck himself, reading his poetry, offering his thoughts on the state of the nation and the end of the world with an ebbing and flowing soundtrack. The best GYBE! Record for me.

Yesterdays listening was mostly of the traditional variety to calm me down after a crap day at work.

Julie Fowlis - Uam

Superb album of gaelic songs and trad tunes.  Easily my favourite Fowlis album - much more consistent than previous ones and has a brilliant duet with Eddie Reader on Wind and Rain.

Lori Watson and Rule of Three - Pleasure's Coin

Another superb album of trad tunes and songs, this time from borders fiddler Lori Watson and her band. Great versions of Golden Vanity and The Fair Flower of Northumberland.

Yesterday:

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City

One of my favourite rap albums of all time. And the skits add to it, and aren't just worthless dribble that I skip. Fantastic production, lyrics and vocals. 9/10 FFO: Drake, Dr Dre, Compton.

Today:

Gnarwolves - Funemployed

Fantastically fun pop punk from Gnarwolves. Love this EP. Much better than their earlier stuff. 7/10 FFO: pop punk, hardcore, weed and pizza.

220px-Doomriders_-_Grand_Blood.jpg

Doomriders have a new album (Grand Blood) that I didn't know about until Spotify said "Hey man! You totally listened to Saviours that one time, so we think you'll totally dig Doomriders, who you've probably already listened to 100 times". Thanks Spotify. I listened to it, and the listening was good. Put it in your earspace if you dig Saviours or Baroness or if you like the sound of Thin Lizzy being covered by Motorhead. Riffs, gravelly vocals, triumph.

mzi.wuucfqwh.255x255-75.jpg

Favez, from Lausanne, Switzerland, have an album called "From Lausanne, Switzerland". Brash, noisy indie rock, with serious hooks. Maybe a bit McClusky, a bit Jawbox. Plenty good.

Today's road music from Glasgow to Aberdeen:

OFF! - OFF!

off_album_300x305.jpeg?1334151669

Riffs a-plenty, really gnarly vocals (comprising of) quite rubbish lyrics, minute and a bit songs.  Excellent punk rock.

She & Him - Volume 2

she-and-him-volume-2-coverart1-300x300.j

Sometimes a man just needs to ease his Volvo gently down the motorway.  This is definitely my favourite album of their three: M Ward is the king of smooth understated guitar playing. The lyrics are a little sugary for me at times, but Zooey Deschanel's delivery really hits a sweet spot: a lot less bellow-y showgirl compared to the first album.  The mental 60s style backing vocals are a lot of fun too.

• Upvote 1

Got one or two new things today.

Kwes 'ilp: Have listened to this a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot.  He has a real mixture of styles, sometimes quite urban and sometimes quite pastoral. A record that I think appeals to both heart and head.  Will be listening a lot more. 8/10, possibly rising.

Tooth Ache Flash & Yearn: Tooth Ache is Alexandria Hall from Vermont.  She does very minimalistic synth pop, with really great languid vocals.  The best stuff on this very strong and atmospheric.  Another I shall be coming back to. 7/10 and maybe rising.

She & Him - Volume 2

she-and-him-volume-2-coverart1-300x300.j

Sometimes a man just needs to ease his Volvo gently down the motorway.  This is definitely my favourite album of their three: M Ward is the king of smooth understated guitar playing. The lyrics are a little sugary for me at times, but Zooey Deschanel's delivery really hits a sweet spot: a lot less bellow-y showgirl compared to the first album.  The mental 60s style backing vocals are a lot of fun too.

This is a great album, I didn't like it to begin with, I thought it was way inferior to the first album but it's a grower. I'm going through the same thing with the third album now....

Random_Access_Memories.jpg

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories.

This was kind of background music while I was working so I can't really review it fairly, but first impressions is that it's a lot poppier than their previous albums, but unlike the other three it doesn't drop off horribly on side 2. Enjoyed.

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.

Yeah, like you've never heard Dark Side Of The Moon. Still one of my favourite albums.

Reverend_And_The_Makers-A_French_Kiss_In

Reverend & The Makers - A French Kiss In The Chaos.

This is the only album of theirs I have but I really like it. Good catchy tunes and yer man is a pretty good lyricist. Drfits between indie pop and snarling "Up yours society!" disillusionment. It's an angry record. Top stuff. And it doesn't have the fucking awful "He said he loves me, he said he needs me" song on it, so that's definitely a plus.

This is a great album, I didn't like it to begin with, I thought it was way inferior to the first album but it's a grower. I'm going through the same thing with the third album now....

I really liked the single, but I've only given the whole third album a fleeting listen so far and it didn't really seem like it had a great deal of the M Ward flavour that I like to it.  Plus as much as I prefer Zooey dialling it down on Volume 2, it seems like she's taken it even further and gone a bit bland.  Might be a grower though, so I'll give it a proper go.

Vaccines_WDYEFTV_cover.jpg

The Vaccines - What Did You Expect? I've had this on my iPod for like two years but only just got round to listening to it. Straightforward indie mostly, thought a few of the songs were really interesting, kinda dark, a lot of anthemic minor key stuff and nice chord changes. A bit like Editors, or Glasvegas before they became terrible. Enjoyed very much. Standouts tracks: "If You Wanna" "A Lack Of Understanding" "Post Break Up Sex" "All In White".

Outkast - "Aquemini." I always, always, always forgot about how much I love this album, then I revisit it, and I listen to it about 10 times in a row. It's almost hard to comprehend how ahead of their time they were at this point in their careers. A near-perfect album, for me. A classic from start to finish. Andre 3000 is doing hip-hop a great disservice by not really making music any more, y'know.

Sean Price - "Mic Tyson." Ridiculous boasts and threats delivered by a big, gruff man over thumping, mid-paced boom-bap beats. Punchlines all over the place, nothing deep, no underlying messages, just fuckloads of unapologetic machismo and quoteables. If you're in the mood for that kind of thing, this album is very good. His persona is very entertaining, and he doesn't take this too seriously.

Inspectah Deck, 7L & Esoteric - "Czarface." AOTY contender for me. Pounding, NY-style early-90's bangers from start to finish, with great guest verses from guys like Roc Marciano, Raekwon and Action Bronson. Deck really came out of nowhere with this, even though Esoteric outshines him a bit throughout. 

Pusha T - "My Name is My Name." It's really grown on me. There are a couple of really weak tracks after the halfway point (that Kelly Rowland feature... ugh), but there's some definite fire on here. King Push, Nosetalgia, Numbers on the Boards... probably my favourite release of his.

Ill Bill - "The Grimy Awards." Never given this dude much of a chance. Listened to this once, it sounded really good. Needs a more thorough examination.

Edited by Murrr
  • Upvote 1