aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Cavalcades - Discography

Compilation cd put out by the Aberdeen emo/screamy band (I listen to too much of this stuff, it seems). Includes Nothing Worse Than Empty EP, their tracks from the Far Away Friends split and split w/Roots and their 12" EP Coping. Cracking listen. Old stuff is all heavy and hardcorey, then they got IMO a lot better with the clean guitars, effects and twinkly stuff. Cracking basslines and I like the vocals also. One of my favourite Aberdeen bands. 8/10 FFO the bands I listed earlier.

Title Fight - Shed

I don't know what these guys are, they are edging between pop-punk, hardcore, but all the UK emos post about them all the time. I'm going to stick with hardcore though. Lots of pop punky/hardcore riffs, with some emoy guitar parts, with shouted vocals. Maybe they're emo after all. I don't know. But I like this album. 7/10 FFO emoy pop-punky hardcorey places to keep your lawnmower. 

Notorious BIG - Life After Death. A bit long winded, I generally hate double albums due to too much filler, but this one is never less than good and it's high points are superb. Disc 2 is better.

Lil Kim - Notorious KIM - Another really good album, listening to Lil Kim often makes me feel like I need a shower, the filthy ho. Consistently good album, a lot of Biggie nods. A few too many actually.

Lil Kim - Ms GOAT. An mixtape of bits of songs tacked together. Some of the tunes are decent but it's filled with those annoying soundboard airhorns and gunshots sounds that ruin it since they're louder than the music and invasive. 

Eazy-E - It's On 187um Killa. AKA Eazy-E calls out Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg. Brilliant lyrics, a mix of funny and aggro, and I love E's delivery as well.

A Flock Of Seagulls - Best Of. Downloaded for "I Ran". Discovered a really good band with a lot of cool, weirdly dark songs. A few excellent instrumentals near the end as well. Will be investigating further.

Title Fight - Shed

I don't know what these guys are, they are edging between pop-punk, hardcore, but all the UK emos post about them all the time. I'm going to stick with hardcore though. Lots of pop punky/hardcore riffs, with some emoy guitar parts, with shouted vocals. Maybe they're emo after all. I don't know. But I like this album. 7/10 FFO emoy pop-punky hardcorey places to keep your lawnmower. 

Also, you should listen to some Hot Water Music, if you haven't already. They pretty much invented that kinda stuff. No Division or Flight and a Crash are banging.

• Upvote 2

Joy Division | Unknown Pleasures - Flights brought this up recently and I'll agree with what he said, just a perfect album really.

Radiohead | In Rainbows - Not listened to this from start to finish in a long time. Very good album though and today actually I  enjoyed the tracks I normally think of as weaker on it. Still I'd probably only rank it as 4th or 5th best in their discography.

The Libertines | Up The Bracket - This has got a lot of play over the last month. Has aged very well and still sounds great.

The Walkmen | Lisbon - I don't listen to this group as much as I should really, this is one of only two albums of theirs I've heard. (the other being you & me). I always seem to really like listening to them though so I'm not quite sure why I don't listen to these two more often and investigate their others.

Maximum RnR - The Black & White Years Awesome punk'n'roll from Toronto. One of my favourite bands Ive seen live recently and I had no idea who they were before they played. Fantastic stuff, and free to download.

http://maximumrnr.bandcamp.com/album/the-black-and-white-years

This is mint. There's not enough of this kind of stuff around.

Title Fight are fun. They sound a bit corny, like if Dag Nasty did a Bon Jovi cover. Enjoyable though.

Also, you should listen to some Hot Water Music, if you haven't already. They pretty much invented that kinda stuff. No Division or Flight and a Crash are banging.

I've only actually listened to Shed. I don't think they sound corny but I get where you're coming from. And cheers for the recommendations, I'll get stuck in to them tonight.

I normally just put my music on shuffle, but actually started listening to full albums more just so I can post in this thread.

Today is a Hip-Hop day.

Dead Prez - Let's Get Free,  Haven't listened to this in a while, it's not great. Hip-Hop and Animal in Man are genius though - 6/10

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back: Takes a few mins to get into its stride musically, probably until Terminator X to the Edge of Panic - but when it does hit - Black Steel, Night of the Living Baseheads, Rebel Without a Pause it's still fucking amazing, no one else sounds like Chuck at full throttle - 9/10

I always thought that album kicks off especially good. Bring The Noise is a classic.

I've only actually listened to Shed. I don't think they sound corny but I get where you're coming from. And cheers for the recommendations, I'll get stuck in to them tonight.

I normally just put my music on shuffle, but actually started listening to full albums more just so I can post in this thread.

Yeah, corny might not be the right word. It sounds like something that should be quite gritty, but then they belt out a major key melody. It's totally triumphant.

• Upvote 1

Todays spin was this:

220px-Descendents_-_Enjoy%21_cover.jpg

It's fun, but hasn't aged well. Cheer and Get The Time are still two of their best songs, and the cover of Wendy is great. There's a couple of other good songs too. Then there's weird heavy metal stuff, and the track Orgofart, which is just a track of farts. Probably should have been an EP. Great sleeve though.

Agree with mot of that about Public Enemy except  the thing about not getting into it's stride until Terminator X... 

Don't believe the fucking hype!

I didn't mean it's not brilliant, the first two tracks are stone classics - but musically it sounds like the first album to me. When Terminator X kicks in it sounds like nothing else, ever.

a1017301373_2.jpg

Pia Fraus - In Solarium

I quite like searching tags on bandcamp as it often churns out great listens. Today it produced this record. A great big chunk of jangly, dreamy shoegaze from Estonia.

It's not exactly ground breaking stuff but it's a fairly enjoyable listen if it's your cup of tea.

Plus they are a great bunch of lad and let you stream all of their albums on bandcamp.

http://piafraus.bandcamp.com/album/in-solarium

3/5

Edited by Flights

Houndstooth Ride out the DarkExcellent debut album by band from Portland.  They have one of the most appealing sounds I've heard in recent years: cool girl vocals and twangy guitars.  The songs are generally great, with only one or two out of the ten that are anything less than great.  My only reservation is that earlier versions of a couple of the tunes sounded a bit better to me than the album versions.  Fantastic stuff and one of my top ten albums of the year. 9/10.

Arp MoreThis is very different to his previous album 'The Soft Wave', which was mostly instrumental and electronic.  This has more guitars and singing.  It's a pleasant listen with a warm sound and some nice bits of field recording, samples etc in it.  There aren't any individual tracks really grabbing me in the way that some of 'The Soft Wave' did though.  7/10.

Haim | Days are gone - Oddly I always like this while I'm listening to it but there's something forgettable about it. Once it's finished I can't really recall much about it, the songs just don't make much of an impression. 

Arctic Monkeys | Whatever People Say...... & AM - The first and latest albums by one of my favourite bands going. Strangely I didn't really appreciate the debut as much as I do now until about a year ago, I'd always thought of it as a weak debut album and overlooked it for some reason. Love it now though. The new one is brilliant, their most consistent apart from FWN and will feature in my top ten of the year.

Chvrches | The bones of what you believe - Classic pop album style it opens up very strongly with the best songs on the album but the level doesn't dip too much. Solid album.

333.jpg

Jesu + Isis = Greymachine. Nasty as shit. Just pure horrible. Distorted everything. Swans meets Godflesh meets all that turgid AmRep stuff from the 90's. Recommended if you are seeking the most disgusting sounds your ears can find. I'm a big fan of just about everything Broaderick does, though this is perhaps not as instant as most of his output. 

Edited by Joda Serk