aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

You'll Live - Above The Weather

North American emo/screamy band making happy music sound sad. Fantastic album. Even has a Woody Allen sample which takes up the entire song. His screams are more yelps than screams. It's that like, high pitched sort of cavalcades-y screams you hear in a lot of modern 'emo'. But I love it. When I first heard this music I wasn't a lover. But now it's one of my favourite albums. 8/10 FFO We Came Out Like Tigers, Cavalcades, Pianos Become The Teeth. Being sad but happy at the same time.

We Came Out Like Tigers - Agelessness And Lack

More emo/screamy stuff. But this has a violin. And some spoken word. Some lads from Englandshire who really really hate FRONT magazine. The music isn't as happy sounding as You'll Live. But definitely in the same vein as them. Bought the 12", along with the You'll Live 12" from Dog Knights Productions. Just as good. 8/10 FFO You'll Live, Cavalcades, Pianos Become The Teeth. Being sad but sad at the sad sad.

Modern Life Is War - Witness

I assume you know the score. Brilliant album. D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S. got played about 8 times in a row. Some good hardcore. 9/10 FFO Dead Swans, Defeater etc etc.

Danny Brown | Old - Again today, twice. Already said I like this a lot. Not much to add today.

The National | Trouble Will Find Me - Someone else posted this the other day and I said then that I rate it highly. I think the boxer will always be my favourite of theirs mostly because it was the one that got me into them but their output really is very consistent and this one is right up there. What would other The National fans pick as their top album?

Ariana Grande | Yours Truly - At its best I absolutely love this but it's let down by some real duds the last quarter is especially weak. I mean it has a song with mika on it for crying out loud. Mika was bad enough before but it's 2013 now what is he doing on albums?

Siriusmo - Mosaik - 8.5/10 -  it's quickly becoming one of my favourite ever electronic music albums. One of the rare albums I always listen to all the way through instead of just playing the odd track now and again. Every track is an utter belter in it's own right. Highly recommended for fans of... dunno really... music I guess.

Never heard of him/her/them. Recommend a track to try first?

Never heard of him/her/them. Recommend a track to try first?

Him. This is probably my favourite off the album. Itd not fully representative of the 'sound' except that its slightly glitchy.

Edit: cant seem to post links on mobile. Song name is 'Einmal in der woche schreien'

Edited by ca_gere

Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exits Only - I've had this playing in the car for the last few weeks. Really enjoying it. Very edgy but with some awesome grooves at sections. Really hoping they come to the UK next year. Recommended if you like/liked what Phil did with Superjoint Ritual and Trendkill era Pantera. A bit rougher round the edges than Trendkill, but still beasting.

• Upvote 1

Boris - Akuma No Yuta Probably the fucking heaviest record I've ever heard, in so many ways that aren't entirely obvious. Particularly the title track. 'nuff said.

Actually, not 'nuff said, watch this video of them live. SO FUCKING HEAVY.

(go to 1:00 minute to experience pure fucking TONE!)
  • Upvote 3

Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exits Only - I've had this playing in the car for the last few weeks. Really enjoying it. Very edgy but with some awesome grooves at sections. Really hoping they come to the UK next year. Recommended if you like/liked what Phil did with Superjoint Ritual and Trendkill era Pantera. A bit rougher round the edges than Trendkill, but still beasting.

Heck yes, I really like that'un, it's proper aggro.

220px-Unknownpleasures.jpg

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

TSTWDEN is thinking about doing a cover and for some reason I thought it was on this album. Turns out it's Interzone not Incubation. Still just an incredible piece of music so glad I gave it a spin this morning. The guitar tone is probably up there with my favourite of all time. Fuck knows what Bernard was using at the time but it sounds amazing. 10/10

Boris - Akuma No Yuta Probably the fucking heaviest record I've ever heard, in so many ways that aren't entirely obvious. Particularly the title track. 'nuff said.

Actually, not 'nuff said, watch this video of them live. SO FUCKING HEAVY.

(go to 1:00 minute to experience pure fucking TONE!)

This album is crazy good. Their drum tone / sound is unreal too. 26' bass drums should be made law.

220px-Unknownpleasures.jpg

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

TSTWDEN is thinking about doing a cover and for some reason I thought it was on this album. Turns out it's Interzone not Incubation. Still just an incredible piece of music so glad I gave it a spin this morning. The guitar tone is probably up there with my favourite of all time. Fuck knows what Bernard was using at the time but it sounds amazing. 10/10

Yeah one of the very best albums ever made.

Having said that on some days I may prefer Closer.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Guided by Voices Alien Lanes: Inspired a bit by whoever posted Bee Thousand, I had a listen to this today.  I guess it's my favourite GBV album.  In fact it's probably got more great songs on it than almost any other album I can think of, although having 28 tracks is a bit of an advantage for that.  I think it's Bob at the height of his powers, chaotically throwing great tune after great tune.  Almost every song on here would we be the best tune of most other bands I can think of, and they'd probably turn them into six minute epics and name albums after them.  Bob just whacks them out on a four track, mixes them with someone snoring (in one case) or makes it sound like he's singing underwater (in another).  He doesn't care because he's got a tonne of other great tunes lined up.  A classic 10/10.

• Upvote 2

John Foxx and the Belbury Circle Empty Avenues: This is really just a mini-album but it's been one of the more unexpected favourites of the year.  I mostly got it because I like the Advisory Circle, who has some involvement with the record, but it's really the first John Foxx record I'd listened to.  I can now see why he's a bit of a legend.  The songs are all incredibly well put together and evocative.  Foxx almost sounds like an electronica Robert Pollard for the quality of the songs and the quirky, inventive lyrics.  8.5/10.

Ile_zpse7d986c3.jpg

Pile - Magic isn't real.

I love this album, there is not one single bad song on it. Its full of little gems. Great guitar playing, drumming is fantastic, great lyrics and vocals. Awesome.

Goddamn Pile. Love "Dripping," great album. Bought the MP3 download/CD combo from Bandcamp. They posted me an empty CD case. Emailed them, no response. CURSES. Wonderful tunes.

Today:-

Dillon Cooper - "Cozmik". 20 y/o rapper out of Brooklyn, who'll (not unfairly) likely be compared to Joey Badass for the next year or so at least. Fun little mixtape, doesn't really do anything to reinvent the genre or anything, but his skills are excellent. The kid's enthusiasm and confidence are incredibly infectious and he rides the beats very well indeed. Versatile, too: there are a lot of traditional-style beats for people who never escaped 1990's New York, but there's a little bit of trap and a smattering of modern, electronic-style production thrown in too. If you like hip-hop and things that are fun and free, cop this. At least listen to State of Elevation, it'll be in your head for about a year. No shit. 

A$ap Ferg - "Trap Lord." So far, "fun," is definitely the word of the day. Better than Rocky's bullshit releases. Dude says absolutely nothing of importance over booming 808's and snapping snares bringing a healthy dose of absurdity with him (using Shabba Ranks as a metaphor for how much of a G he is, for example). Honestly, I feel like a complete dipshit for listening to this, especially when I catch myself bobbing my head to hooks like "I FUCKED YO' BITCH, N****, I FUCKED YO' BITCH," but whatevs. Several laugh-out-loud moments. Really, REALLY awful guest rappers (A$ap Rocky, Trinidad James, Waka Flocka...), derivative subject matter, shitloads of bounce. Sums it up pretty well. Avoid if you can't listen to music with your brain detached.

Edited by Murrr