aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Really love this album. Great production (far better than camp). Canna be arsed to read the screen play though. 72 Pages? Are you eatin' tho?

Tyler, The Creator - Goblin 

His angstier follow up to his angsty debut. Lot of songs from alter egos/personas. Written a few years ago when he was about 18/19. Features all the stuff that Theresa May banned him from the UK for. You can tell Eminem was a big influence. Dark. Really dark. Really really really dark. His newer stuff is a lot more mellow, less songs about stalking and dracula. But that's what I came for when I put on this album, songs about stalking and dracula and stabbing Bruno Mars. 

Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday

First album they did as the original Tell All Your Friends line up, released a few years ago. Big fan of this. Singing along all the way down to Edinburgh. 

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

The stuff he was playing on Jools Holland the other month with Joshua Homme and thon drummer fae thon Arctic Monkeys. Picked it up in Fopp today. Really like it. Mellow. Cool. Yeah dude.

a3245615521_10.jpg

https://benseretan.bandcamp.com/

Ben Seretan - Bowl of Plums

Really enjoying this fellow at the moment. Masterful guitar playing that is showy, but helps lift his songs. Heartfelt indie rock that reminds me of Avi Buffalo or a mellower Lift to Experience.

4/5

a0229751885_10.jpg

Twin River - Passing Shade

http://twinriverband.com/album/passing-shade

Wistful 80's indie inspired pop, puts me in mind of Wild Nothing.

3.5/5

• 4 weeks later...

descendents-hypercaffium-spazzinate.jpg?

Better than I expected, and I expected it to be pretty good. I wasn't crazy about 'Cool To Be You' though it had 5 or 6 bangers on it. I was worried they'd sound aged and soft on this, but it is just excellent. Consistently good, even. Not a weak track on it, and I'm listening to the special edition which has the 6 'Spazzhazard' EP tracks on the end, which brings it to 21 tracks(!!) and they're all fun as fuck. The melodies are huge, and everything just sounds great, as you'd expect from a Blasting Room record.

Only thing it lacks is one or two more of the faster/weirder songs to break up the non-stop-pop, but it's a minor gripe. Really great record.

100 out of 100.

R-8626882-1465423280-1501.jpeg.jpg

Minority Threat - Culture Control

First off, the name couldn't be any more derivative. The only way to worsen it would be to call themselves Really Black Flag. Name aside, this totally rips. Vicious no-frills hardcore with the most repugnant of vocals. Pure nasty. Awesome. Eat it: https://minoritythreat.bandcamp.com/album/culture-control

molar-band-photo.jpg

Molar  - Demo

London girls sing sweet infectious melodies about how life is a bit shit. It is wonderful. They only have 5 recorded songs and 3 of them are on this demo. IT'S NOT ENOUGH. Molar rules. https://molartheband.bandcamp.com/

Yeah, I read the MRR New Blood section today.

65daysofstatic-770x470.jpg

65daysofstatic - Music For An Infinite Universe - No Man's Sky OST

Mesmerising. Perfect moments of peace mixed with a feeling of suddenness and urgency. Been weird having this on while playing Rocket League. Makes that extra time goal feel so much more important. It's perfect for No Man's Sky, and when it booms in while sentinels are attacking me I can go "oh I like this one!"

a3411155027_10.jpg

Brand New - 3 Songs, Reworked

A little miffed that all these years after Daisy, we still only have 3 actually new songs. Mene, it's B-side and I Am A Nightmare. These 3 songs are from 'Fight Off Your Demons', the leaked demos from when they were recording The Devil And God... Since Daisy we've had Mene as a download, then they released FOYD on tape as "Leaked Demos". Then we got I Am A Nightmare on vinyl, then 3 songs from those same leaked demos re-worked. Now they've released Mene with a b-side on vinyl too. Part of me isn't enjoying the money-grabbing from a band that seem to have hit writers block quite hard, part of me is glad I can own these all on vinyl, and part of me is glad that they've reworked these demos, as I'm a bigger fan of TDAG than I am of Deja. And IAAN and Mene seemed to be more deja-like. These songs hint that the new album might be a mix of deja and TDAG. Which I'm okay with. And it's nice to hear these songs recorded proper. Just seems a bit like a cash-grab. And they released a t-shirt with a death date for the band on it. Since Daisy they've been nothing but hype. And I'm the kind of sucker who damns the hype but then jumps on the wagon. Fuck you Jesse Lacey. I always preferred John Nolan as a teen, and now you've got me to switch sides just to break my heart. Fuck you. But keep releasing music. Even if it's old songs rerecorded. Please. But Fuck you. Please.

The past few days has been spent listening only to as much dungeon synth as I can find, as I just recently found out that dungeon synth exists, and what it is. It's weird as fuck.

Taur-nu-Fuin [remaster] cover art

Thangorodrim - Taur-nu-Fuin

Out of all the stuff I found, I gave this a few repeated listens, as it stood out among the rest so far. I was purposely seeking music I could listen to at work that was in no way catchy, overly distracting, rocking, righteous or provocative in anyway. So no riffs or righteous drums, no vocals (or at least kept to an unmelodic minimum). I just needed sounds and ambience. Dungeon synth has been a great soundtrack whilst I upgrade my energy sabre and buy healing potions mess about with enormous spreadsheets. It's cheesy, eerie and weird, and makes my working day feel like an old RPG. I'm still undecided whether or not this, or other similar releases, are actually any good, and if I really like them. It's better than the deathly silence in my office though, which is only broken by my boss punching the living daylights out of his keyboard.

Dinosaur_Jr_Give_a_glimpse_of_what_yer_n

I've been listening to Dinosaur Jr.'s new album this morning (Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not), fully expecting it be alright and sound like Dinosaur Jr. Imagine my surprise when I realised that the album is actually good and not some old guys going through the motions and definitely a lot better than than some of your bum hole music.

Pretty grim artwork though.

40,000/50,000

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Image result for pyramids a northern meadow

Pyramids - A Northern Meadow

My favourite kind of Black Metal is the type that makes precious BM elitists cry. Pyramids seem to be on a similar level to Deafheaven, because they're a bit shoegazey, and they have much cleaner, reverb soaked vocals, similar to JKB when he's singing on a Jesu record. They're not sponsored by Ray Ban Sunglasses though, so they don't get the same amount of hate, but they're still not very liked. Apart from the salty tears from the BM elite, it's genuinely a good record. Heavy, haunting, sludgy, spacey, crushing, fast, dreamy. epic. GOOD.

Image result for hooded menace never cross the dead

Hooded Menace - Never Cross The Dead

Not sure if this is a 100% sincere record, or if it is meant to be a bit tacky. It's fun as hell anyway. Sludgy, brutal death/doom, but it's triumphantly melodic at times, a little on the corny side. But still also GOOD.

yf1tivJ.jpg

Necro Deathmort - The Capsule

Normally their output is heavy and nasty, but this new one is probably their tamest to date. Much more minimalist, more ambient, less percussive but more haunting and layered. It's failed to grab me yet. Not sure it will. Not enough ear-splitting drum machines and disgusting acid bass.

Image result for scorn stealth

Scorn - Stealth

This is better than the above because it has tons of ear-splitting drum machines and disgusting acid bass. GOOD

• 2 weeks later...

Image result for afi black sails

AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset

I really can't stomach anything else they released, bar 2 or 3 songs from The Art of Drowning. The albums before Black Sails are rubbish. The albums after Art of Drowning are even worse. This album is a total ripper though. Those choruses are huge. All those woah-oh-ohs. Davey's voice was so vicious back then.

Gotta love Dexter Holland getting himself on the record too. He just seems to yell "Go! Yaaaah! Woooo!" in the background on a few songs. He probably blackmailed them by refusing to release it unless they let him on.

• 4 weeks later...

Image result for against me shape shift with me

Against Me! - Shape Shift With Me

I've had a complete u-turn on Against Me! recently. Loved Reinventing Axl Rose and Eternal Cowboy, and everything else that came out around that time. Really didn't get on with Searching For a Former Clarity when it came out, and New Wave was one of the worst records by a credible band that I've heard, so I didn't listen to anything that came afterwards. almost 10 years later, I stumble across the new single/video, "Crash", and it is fun as fuck. Also realised there's only two band members I even recognise. What happened?

This album is great anyway. Laura's vocals are badass, love the way the guitars weave in an out of one another. A solid foot-stomper. Which made me work backwards, and realise that Transgender Dysmorphia Blues is also great record. White Crosses I can take or leave. New Wave still sounds awful.

This though, 8 outta 10.