aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Aggro hip-hop? Get some Onyx in yer ears. They're proper stupid, but Bacdafucup, Shut 'Em Down and especially All We Got Iz Us are awesome slags of dumb, primal aggression.

M.O.P. Listen to Warriorz. Amazing production and two complete loons yelling into the microphone like boisterous knee-crappers.

Ice Cube's first two solo albums are absolutely essential.

Sean Price! Any album will do, because they're all pretty much the same. Pretty much all this guy does is rap about how great he is at rapping, and how he's going to fuck you up.

Scarface's first album, Mr. Scarface Is Back. He has two borderline classics in his discography (The Fix & The Diary), but this is his most unhinged.

Dead Prez, Let's Get Free. Hardcore, militant, pro-African, anti-state classic.

I lot of people recommend Jedi Mind Tricks within this mould. I fucking hate how Vinnie Paz raps, so I can't really endorse them, but you might like them -- loads of people are really into them.

Want some more modern sounds? Denzel Curry spits like a motherfucker. His last two albums are good.

Excellent. I'll track these down and give them a spin. Cheers.

I agree with you on Vinnie Paz. I can listen to the other guy in Jedi, but Paz is pretty awful. Army of Pharoahs would be a lot better without him too.

I've never been a full on rap fanatic, tend to dip in and out on occasion, not really aware of current stuff. I watched 'King of New York' for the first time in a while last week, which led to a quick look on Amazon to see the Schoolly D situation (couple of his songs on the soundtrack, usually horrendously expensive to get hold of his stuff), found 'Saturday Night (the Album)' going cheap these days so picked that up. Its OK, typically 80's mysoginist moments though. 'Am I Black Enough For Ya' still affa dear though.

• 1 month later...

Mutoid Man - Bleeder

metal-injection-mutoid-man-bleeder.jpg

This is one of the many projects of Steven Brodsky, primarily of Cave In, featuring drums from Ben Koller of Converge and Some Guy on bass. It's got more riffs than is healthy and songs that effortlessly straddle the gap between technical brilliance and catchy pop hooks. Ben Koller's drumming is as ridiculous as it always is. You should listen to it.

Rating: TEN OUT OF TEN GOOD ALBUM

• Upvote 3

Stuff what I listened to today.

220px-CKY_vol._1.jpg220px-InfiltrateDestroyRebuild.jpg

The first two CKY albums. I've ignored them for a long time, bar that riff that everyone knows. A fair chunk of filler on both records, but also lots of great jams. You could probably make one totally melting album with all the good tracks from both. However, the bad songs are like, really bad. But the riffs. Damn, yo.

toolcover.jpg

Continuing with the teen angst theme. I don't really get on with Tool. But once a year I get an urge to listen to one Tool album, and one album only. 6th August appears to be Tool day. 10,000 Days. That might be the amount of time it is until I listen to Tool again.

As with any Tool album, it seems like it's about 60% get on with it! and 40% fuck! this is awesome. You've really gotta work for that awesome. I just don't have the attention span for that. There are so many great riffs, but just far too much ambiance, and bongos, and nothingness, and silence.

R-1170961-1197998614.gif.jpg

Fuck Tool. My time isn't to be wasted on empty crescendo. If you hear any silence on a Combat record, it's because it has finished. Raging, bordering on unlistenable. My favourite powerviolence record. Probably.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dan Andriano in the Emergency Room - Party Adjacent

Dan_Andriano_-_Party_Adjecent.jpg

I'm not all that excited about the Alkaline Trio, and Dan's acoustic solo output isn't my bag either, but this is a great record. Less of the wishywashy campfire folk, and more ripping, full-band pop hooks. Twangy guitars, 80's pub-rock style keys, and warbled melodies. It has something of an Elvis Costello thing going on. A good fun listen and a solid 7 outta 10 record.

No Weather Talks - Undoing Defeat

20684_889162497792235_212378449347674201

Weird band name. Great band. There's a metric buttload of excellent punk rock coming out of Germany right now, and this is just some of it. I don't seem to hear too many punk bands with female lead vocals around, which is a shame. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places, and I only stumbled across this as I saw No Idea were releasing it in the US. Its great anyhow. Super great. Washed out 90's indie rock mixed with joyous catchy punk rock. Yeah! 8 outta 10.

http://noweathertalks.bandcamp.com/album/undoing-defeat

Edited by Soda van Jerk

• 2 weeks later...

Meat Wave - Delusion Moon

11223713_873746219371267_758678596695919

I don't know a dang thing about this band except that they had a track on a compilation album that a band I like featured on. It was a song that stood out from the pack so I thought I'd see if they had any other stuff to put in my ears and as luck would have it they released this album last week. Good timing, me! They play some sort of noisy punk rock, I guess. It's nothing that hasn't been done before but it's a solid version of that thing that's been done before but they play with a sense of urgency that keep things rolling. 7 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Ten Grand - The Comprehensive List of Everyone Who Has Ever Done Anything Wrong to Us

MI0000366560.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Discovered this lot through ILF. Great off-kilter hardcore from the early 00s. It reminded me of Books Lie and Wrangler Brutes, but it doesn't really sound like anyone. No two songs are alike. Chaotic, un-melodic, good.

Cool story about their name too. They started as Vida Blue, until Page McConnell of Phish wanted to use the name for a band he started with one of the Allman Brothers Band, and paid $10,000 for the original Vida Blue to release the rights. Ten Grand.

8,000 out of 10,000

Turncoat - I.R.I.S

a1494733542_16.jpg

Turncoat. Three piece ultra-pop punkrock from Japan. Great back-and-forth boy/girl vocals, massive hooks, super crunchy guitars. The riffs are totally wild. The guitar just sounds so good. The opening track is enormous. GREAT! The only downside is that it's only an EP. It leaves me wanting more. Lots more.

https://mostoffrecords.bandcamp.com/album/i-r-i-s

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 2

Noveller // Fantastic Planet

homepage_large.3212058a.jpg

Instrumental goodness here, mostly shimmering repetitive guitar melodies playing off one and other. Very few pieces bring crescendos and the album has a slightly off-kilter feel throughout. Parts remind me of 70's sci fi soundtracks with vintage synth squelches and the spareness of some of the arrangements.

I like it and some of you sons o' bitches could do well to make a rekkid this good.

TWO THUMBS UP

Turncoat - I.R.I.S

Turncoat. Three piece ultra-pop punkrock from Japan. Great back-and-forth boy/girl vocals, massive hooks, super crunchy guitars. The riffs are totally wild. The guitar just sounds so good. The opening track is enormous. GREAT! The only downside is that it's only an EP. It leaves me wanting more. Lots more.

Thx for sharing, this is right up my street. Great stuff.

Line & Circle // Split Figure

linecircle-split-557x560.jpg

Do you like The National, R.E.M., The Replacements and Echo and the Bunnymen? This band does too and they've decided to make good music, which I think even you sons o' bitches can agree is a good idea. An impressive rekkid with no props towards current indie rock trends. Well, at least in my mind, but I'm an old man.

248 out of 310

• 3 weeks later...

Leatherface - Mush

Dickie Hammond, founding guitarist of Leatherface, died yesterday. So, it's only right to listen to one of the best ever UK punk rock records. Since Mush, there's been about 10,000 bands trying to sound like Leatherface. Enormous record. Pretty much shaped what punk rock would sound like thereafter. It's just been reissued on vinyl. I think I'm going to have to get it.

War on Women - S/T

81y0dJol3tL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah, this is it. Album of the year, IMO. Ripping hardcore punk by pissed off feminists. Totally blistering. Lots of short blasts of off-kilter riffs, and the vocals are awesome. It flicks back and forth between piercing screeches, triumphant melodies, spoken word, and straight-up yelling. She can do it all. It's on Bridge Nine, so I expected it to be cookie-cutter hardcore; fast, slow, fast, chug end, but it's far from it. Has a slick Propagandhi thing going on in a lot of places, with the occasional blast of the weirder spectrum of hardcore, like Wrangler Brutes or Books Lie. Storming record. A stone cold rocker. Pissed off as fuck.

https://waronwomen.bandcamp.com/

• Upvote 3

War on Women - S/T

81y0dJol3tL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah, this is it. Album of the year, IMO. Ripping hardcore punk by pissed off feminists. Totally blistering. Lots of short blasts of off-kilter riffs, and the vocals are awesome. It flicks back and forth between piercing screeches, triumphant melodies, spoken word, and straight-up yelling. She can do it all. It's on Bridge Nine, so I expected it to be cookie-cutter hardcore; fast, slow, fast, chug end, but it's far from it. Has a slick Propagandhi thing going on in a lot of places, with the occasional blast of the weirder spectrum of hardcore, like Wrangler Brutes or Books Lie. Storming record. A stone cold rocker. Pissed off as fuck.

https://waronwomen.bandcamp.com/

This is dead good, super angry.