aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

a0798732995_2.jpg

Bail - In Closing Memories

Germany has some of the best punx right now. Bail play shouty emo/post hardcore. For some reason, they remind me a bit of Carson Wells, with a bit less chops and changes. Lots of quiet/loud dynamics. A total rocker. Get your earballs around it.

http://timeasacolor.bandcamp.com/album/time-30-bail-in-closing-memories-lp

Not an album, but long enough to be.

So good. There's something like 40 rappers on this, so a few verses are inadvertently wack, but so many of these guys just murder the beat (looking at you, Killer Mike, Problem and Raekwon). The real stand-out is Hudson Mohawke though: that beat could level mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

homepage_large.3bb7c019.jpg

California X - Nights in the Dark

Fuzzpunx California X bring serious pop chops. I was big into their self titled record, but this is a colossal step forwards, IMO. The previous record was a rocker, but this is all about the hooks. Huge melodies, syrupy vocals and walls of low-tuned fuzzed guitars. Insert lazy Weezer comparison here. It's apt though. 10 thumbs up.

• Upvote 1

Fuzzpunx California X bring serious pop chops. I was big into their self titled record, but this is a colossal step forwards, IMO. The previous record was a rocker, but this is all about the hooks. Huge melodies, syrupy vocals and walls of low-tuned fuzzed guitars. Insert lazy Weezer comparison here. It's apt though. 10 thumbs up.

They're great. I judged their last record by the cover and thought I'd hate it, but I ended up loving it. Have only listened to this new one or two times but wasn't paying too much attention, so will go back to it on your recommendation.

a2350860570_2.jpg

Drug Church - Swell EP

Drug Church have honed a sound which I just can't pinpoint. The first album is 90's alt worship, without really sounding like anyone. This new short just has it all. It pinballs between Archers of Loaf, Quicksand and even stuff as goofy as The Wrangler Brutes, but it sounds like none of them. It's the vocalist from End of a Year/Self Defense Family, who are super good. They don't sound like them either. It's straight badass.

Eat it

MI0001777181.jpg

Wrangler Brutes - Zulu

Speaking of the Wrangler Brutes, here's the Wrangler Brutes. I was surprised to find Zulu on Spotify, assuming it had been long forgotten. The bits of Drug Church that reminded me of WB made me want to dig out this record.

Weird as hell hardcore punk, fronted by well-renowned fucking weirdo Sam McPheeters (formerly of Born Against - the best HC band of all time) who claims he hated this band from the beginning. Gave it a re-listen today for the first time in years. It's still totally wild. McPheeters' vocal delivery is possessed. Just batshit. It's just a mess. It often sounds like 4 guys playing 4 different songs, and it works. The band lasted barely a year, and their final two shows were played with improvised vocals from the guy from No Age, because McPheeters didn't turn up, and when asked about Zulu, he allegedly pretends it never even happened. A sign of a good record is when the brainchild behind it dismisses its absolute existence. HELL YEAH! It's fucking mint.

Xzibit - "At the Speed of Life"

I've never properly listened to this guy's stuff, as surely there was no way that the guy fronting "Pimp My Ride" could be responsible for quality music. Having heard a few of his mainstream crossover tracks from the early 00's, I was expecting Eminem features, half-baked Dr. Dre cast-off beats and not much else. What I got was a total smacker of an album. This is his debut album, and its seriously good. Xzibit never really gives you too much to think about lyrically: he just comes at you head-on with a gruff delivery that sounds great over the production. Lots of songs about how he's a great rapper and you're a fuckboy, interspersed with some surprising reflective moments. The production is brilliant though, and is far more East Coast in execution. Dusty boom-bap drums coupled with fresh loops and a sprinkling of West Coast bounce, but not too much. If you like gruff, no nonsense rappers flowing over classic production then you will definitely enjoy this. 8/10.

This is hella good.

Edited by Showbiz

Necromonkey - Nekroplex

6ed70ea022d8d2420ebc4de4bf48b816.jpg

I'm being dragged along to a Prog Rock concert next week. The band is called Magma - i'm assured they're a totally important prog band and I'll love it, however I know nothing about Prog, other than I quite like Genesis. I've been given a bunch of records to listen to in between, to brush up a little.

This one is fantastic. So so good. Took me by surprise so thought I'd share. Post-rock but with weirdy-willy elements I associate with Prog, huge dynamics, massive sounding type thing.