aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Saw them live about 5 years ago and thought they were pretty good. Although, I've never been arsed to properly listen to them. I do realise, by the way, i am god knows many years behind with this!. I was expecting them to be a bit more bonkers, however, its nothing that out of the ordinary really, apart from Nick Cave, his lyrics are fucking ace ( i think )...were talking about someone that has managed to use the word "Dandelion" TWICE on the same record!. That's the best bit about it really, Nick Caves lyrics and vocal approach, pretty hilarious. 3/5. 

71bNrp0RHeL_SL1300__zps51483db8.jpg

There are so many reasons why this should be bad, so many!. It isn't. Taking into account that Buzzo and Crover could sing or shout over a breaking pane of glass and i would shit my pants, its still pretty tremendous. He / they dont tour anywhere near enough over here, he did a solo show in Bristol i think ( the centre of everywhere...) not much else. His banter, judging by youtube is cracking. Stories of Iggy Pop cancelling a show after 20 minutes because Weezer are there, Mike Patton shitting on the audience at a Mr Bungle gig and not being friends with Dave Grohl anymore, all good to listen too. This is good. 8/5. Houdini is 10/5. 

images1_zps21e47c59.jpg

Talvihorros ~ Music in Four Movements

818n%2BlYMahL._SL1200_.jpg

A great record. Really quite dark and moody, and very much ebbs and flows. The whole recording is super tense. 

5/5

Interpol ~ El Pintor

61nqsJSdi5L._SL1400_.jpg

Like Interpol? This sounds like Interpol, so you will probably like this. If you have a passing interest, avoid and just stick to the first two records. It does nothing new, but Interpol do Interpol well, so even when they are kind of phoning it in, they still sound a fucking million times better than musical abortions such as Editors.

3/5

Saw them live about 5 years ago and thought they were pretty good. Although, I've never been arsed to properly listen to them. I do realise, by the way, i am god knows many years behind with this!. I was expecting them to be a bit more bonkers, however, its nothing that out of the ordinary really, apart from Nick Cave, his lyrics are fucking ace ( i think )...were talking about someone that has managed to use the word "Dandelion" TWICE on the same record!. That's the best bit about it really, Nick Caves lyrics and vocal approach, pretty hilarious. 3/5. 

71bNrp0RHeL_SL1300__zps51483db8.jpg

Im a huge Nick Cave fan but never really took to this record, I found the second album much better. The remix version of that is great also.

• Upvote 1

Smog ~ Supper

220px-Supper_%28Smog_album_-_cover_art%2

Woozy indie-rock that very much suited my mood this morning. Bill Callahan's laconic vocals and the low in the mix glam rock guitars really work well, and some of the songs are very delicate and affecting. You get the impression that he's made the record without trying, and it's still a million times better than what most people can come up with.

4.5/5

#somethingsomething

gnaw_coverweb_original.jpg

Gnaw - This Face

The utterly unsettling Alan Dublin's utterly unsettling post-Khanate noise blast. A combination of guttural scum rock, pant-shitting noise, harrowing screeches and a total headache of glitches and drones. Uncompromisingly heavy. If I ever lose my grip on sanity and I just want to fuckin' kill everybody, this will be the soundtrack to it. 4 outta 5.

homepage_large.d2e2eefb.jpg

Team Sleep - s/t

Zach Hill and Chino Moreno play stuff that sounds like the less ROCK Deftones stuff, with more drum machines and synthesizers. I didn't listen to this when it came out. I heard it was a quiet record, and gave it a miss. 20 year old me didn't think that was very punx. It's pretty smart though. A dreamy soft rocker for when it's raining outside and your girlfriend is mad at you. 3 and a half outta 5.

homepage_large.ca20023d.jpg

Shigeto - No Better Time Than Now

Not the most engaging of records, but there's some wonderful melodies packed into this. Infectious triphop-ish electronica with sparse synths and luscious percussion. The occasional glitch, but overall a generally pleasant listen. 3 outta 5.

333.jpg

Alva Noto - Unitxt

Glitchy. Not all that musical, and a pretty difficult listen from start to end. Still, the better of the Alva Noto records since it does appear to be more of a collection of actual songs, compared to his other records which are mostly just sounds, noise and drone. Unitxt possesses some excellent percussive passages which sound pretty good, but a whole record of just this one particular sound is tough going. 2 outta 5.

One+Word+Extinguisher-300x300.jpg

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher

Mostly instrumental hip-hop beats, though some tracks have some cut up vocal samples, or actual rappers flowing over them. Smooth record. My only critique is that it's a little too long, but it's a solid record. 4 outta 5.

1351110899_CypressHill-BlackSunday111024

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday.

Drugs, guns and Black Sabbath samples. Careful with this one though guys. Explicit lyrics. 3 and a half outta 5.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

#somethingsomething

gnaw_coverweb_original.jpg

Gnaw - This Face

The utterly unsettling Alan Dublin's utterly unsettling post-Khanate noise blast. A combination of guttural scum rock, pant-shitting noise, harrowing screeches and a total headache of glitches and drones. Uncompromisingly heavy. If I ever lose my grip on sanity and I just want to fuckin' kill everybody, this will be the soundtrack to it. 4 outta 5.

Fucking hell, that was grueling. Awesome!

xx

Guided by Voices ~ Human Amusements at Hourly Rates

The_Best_Of_GbV.jpg

Like Guided by Voices? Want to hear 31 fresh cuts on a convenient plastic disk, or on your portable music player? Get this in your ear pipes. I like pop songs. I like lo-fi indie rock. I like short songs with hooks stuffed into them like a bulbous, throbbing sausage.

10/10

• Upvote 2

Guided by Voices ~ Human Amusements at Hourly Rates

The_Best_Of_GbV.jpg

Like Guided by Voices? Want to hear 31 fresh cuts on a convenient plastic disk, or on your portable music player? Get this in your ear pipes. I like pop songs. I like lo-fi indie rock. I like short songs with hooks stuffed into them like a bulbous, throbbing sausage.

10/10

Bulbous Throbbing Sausage - new band name. I call it. Dibs.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

The Twilight Sad ~ Nobody Wants to be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave

Nobody_Wants_To_Be_Here_And_Nobody_Wants

More jolly good doom, gloom, and excellent songs from the Twilight Sad funsters. One of the things I really like about them is that they are consistently developing their sound and "NWTBHANWTL" is no exception. I would say that the songs are perhap more tender than previous efforts and the keyboards and synths are less in your face.

9/10

The Horrors ~ Luminous

The_Horrors_-_Luminous%2C_album_front_co

I found that I actually liked The Horrors after their 3rd album "Skying", which in my mind was very much like early 80's Simple Minds. A much better direction that the noises they produced like "Sheena is a Parasite". On first listen "Luminous" is more of the same, but nothing stood out and made me gasp in pure wonderment.

7/10

Hookworms ~ The Hum

homepage_large.72507258.jpg

Fucking yaldy.

8/10

Inter Arma - The Cavern

homepage_large.b9159d06.jpg

This is glorious. A sprawling 45 minute single track epic that shifts effortlessly between doom laden pounding riffs and slightly less doom laden pounding riffs before exploding with bursts of intricate (but still pounding) mathy, proggy guitar and drum work. It's the best thing I've heard all year and a good accompaniment to last year's Sky Burial album which was among my favourite things from last year.

All out of Everything.

Edited by Woodsinho