aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

NFG_Resurrection.jpg

New Found Glory - Resurrection

I had expected this to be pish and for my "review" I could just say "...they should've stayed dead." but it's actually a pretty solid record. It's more punk rock than pop-punk, more into the A Day to Remember kind of vein, some chuggy guitars and beatdowns 'n' shit. I enjoyed it. Jordan's voice is also a little less nasal and whiny in this record too. They've been re-inventing themselves over the past few records going by the snippets I've heard - haven't listened to any in full since Catalyst and there's been about a half dozen records since then, so this could just be more of the same. I don't know. But I liked it.

4/5

xx

NFG_Resurrection.jpg

New Found Glory - Resurrection

I had expected this to be pish and for my "review" I could just say "...they should've stayed dead." but it's actually a pretty solid record. It's more punk rock than pop-punk, more into the A Day to Remember kind of vein, some chuggy guitars and beatdowns 'n' shit. I enjoyed it. Jordan's voice is also a little less nasal and whiny in this record too. They've been re-inventing themselves over the past few records going by the snippets I've heard - haven't listened to any in full since Catalyst and there's been about a half dozen records since then, so this could just be more of the same. I don't know. But I liked it.

4/5

xx

All their records are harder to listen to knowing that Steve Klein was probably abusing kids while he was coming up with some of the lyrics/riffs. Even though he was kicked out before this album it's still a little tainted.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #26 (day 28)

The Computers - This Is The Computers

This+Is+the+Computers.png

Not sure what to make of this. Starts out sounding like a fairly average rock / screamo band, but by the middle it sounds like a screamo band covering AC/DC and it all gets a bit ridiculous. Fun though.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #27 (day 29)

Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

The+Physical+World.png

Heard a lot about this band but never listened to them. Glad I did. This was fucking immense. A bit QOTSA / NIN. Top riffage.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #28 (day 29)

Presidents Of The USA - Kudos To You

Kudos+to+You+The+Presidents+Of+The+Unite

As much fun as it was revisiting a band I used to like when I was 16, there's nothing about this that would make me listen to it again. Catchy songs but with no substance. They Might Be Giants without the clever lyrics. Nah.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #29 (day 30)

Be Your Own Pet - Get Awkward

Get_Awkward.jpg

Exactly the sort of thing I'm into at the moment. Fast, fun, power pop with heavy guitars and electronic bits. A bit Fight Like Apes-y. Super lovable.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #30 (day 30)

InMe - Herald Moth

Herald+Moth+InMeHeraldMoth483525.jpg

I have the album prior to this one and I like it a lot, although it took me a while. I wasn't keen on this to start with, the songs are a bit more complex than on the previous, and some of the cock rock solos are a bit unneccesary, it grew on me as it went on though. Some superb songs.

30 albums in 30 days - DONE.

I now nominate your ma.

homepage_large.af13c43e.jpg

The Melvins - Hold It In

In recent years, 1/2 of the Melvins has been the two gents from BIG BUSINESS, turning the Melvins into a double drum assault. Big Business are busy doing their own thang, so this new album is Buzz and Dale, as usual, plus Jeff and Paul from the goddamn BUTTHOLE SURFERS. Cool, huh?! Buzz himself says he didn't write many of the songs on this, so this is the Buttholes, playing Melvins songs, sung mostly by Buzz. There's some super-poppy-pop thrown in here too, but it's mostly just loads and loads of riffs. Right bastard good. 5 outta 5.

#THIRTY

homepage_large.af13c43e.jpg

The Melvins - Hold it In

I've never listened to a Melvins record front to back before. Tried when I was in my teens and a die-hard Nirvana fan, but I just couldn't get through the pop side of things. As soon as there was a song with no riffs and NOIZE then I got bored and put Incesticide back on. After seeing Soda's review above, I decided to give this a spin, since I've been after a bit of a balance for getting though work, an all-out aural assault for 8 hours in the office can take a lot out of you. This record is exactly what I've been after. Some belting riffs and noise with some more laid back stuff in there too. Fantastic record, really fucking enjoyed it.

5/5

xx

The Melvins are a tough band to get into.They've done a lot of weird stuff. A lot of shitty stuff too, some of which they admit to being purposely shit, like the Prick LP, which is completely unlistenable.

The Houdini LP is a good place to start. Less weirdness. More rock. Certainly their seminal record.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

The Melvins are a tough band to get into.They've done a lot of weird stuff. A lot of shitty stuff too, some of which they admit to being purposely shit, like the Prick LP, which is completely unlistenable.

The Houdini LP is a good place to start. Less weirdness. More rock. Certainly their seminal record.

Yeah, Houdini is great, I like Stag as well.

Never seen them as poppy though, certainly not poppier than Nirvana :/

Time to catch up. It was a hip hop week.

7986-the-no-music.jpg

Themselves - The No Music

Hipster Hip Hop. Hipster Hop. Released by Anticon, where most Hipster Hop is born. It's glitchy and noisy, a little bit like Dalek, and the flow is quite unorthadox in a Busdriver sort of way. I liked it. 3 and a half outta 5.

sagefranci-304-304x304.jpg

Sage Francis - Copper Gone

More Hipster Hop. I think? Or is Sage a big deal now? His last album was a dud, IMO. I'm a big fan of A Healthy Distrust though. On first listen, I found this to be pretty engaging. Sage's flow and delivery is very distinct, but I'm certainly a fan. One of my favourites in terms of using quiet/loud dynamics. The record is a good mix of his more relaxed and ambrasive styles. Cool production from front to back. Very good record. 4 outta 5.

a4193702676_2.jpg

Sleep of Oldominion - Oregon Failure

Less hipster Hip Hop. Just the regular stuff. Rapping about being good at rapping, and what not. Sleep's delivery is great, but I tend to not be able to put up with a whole album, as there's usually a number of stinkers on there. This does have a few of those, but the standout tracks are standard Sleep. Not bad. 2 and a half outta 5.

2007_-_Honest_Racket.jpg

Sandpeople - Honest Racket

I don't know anything about these guys, or this record, other than it sounds poppin'. It's probably 2 or 3 tracks too long, but it's mostly solid material. Big, boomy production, and a mostly lazy and chilled flow. Lots of serious bass grooves. 3 outta 5.

220px-Local_604.jpg

Sweatshop Union - Local 604

Geeky white guys from Canaduh spit about being poor and everyone being a right wing bastard. Pretty cool, but a little forgettable upon first listen. I'll probably give their other records a spin at some point. 2 and a half outta 5.

Wu_Massacre-Album_Cover.jpg

Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon - Wu Massacre

I don't know if I listened to this when it came out. It's on my iPod, but I don't think I gave it a spin. It's snappy and brief. A couple of songs start to fade out unexpectedly. It doesn't outstay it's welcome at a mere 29 minutes, which is perfect for my attention span. It's the 3 best Wu guys anyway so, 4 outta 5

Necro_Die.png

Necro - Die!

Like Sleep of Oldominion, I wouldn't usually take in a Necro LP in full, but this is an enjoyable listen. His choice of samples is very good, and I dig the fast tempo of most of the tracks. He mostly raps about how he's going to kill you, in great detail. It's all a bit cartoony, but entertaining enough to be a good listen. He's a good rapper overall, despite not being a rapper to be taken overly seriously. 3 outta 5.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Decided to stop numbering these and just try to listen to "some new records" every "now and again or when I remember".

The_Offspring_-_Days_Go_By_album_cover.j

The Offspring - Days Go By.

Starts off really promisingly, some belting tunes that remind me on the old stuff. Then it reaches track 6 - Cruising California - not THAT offensive in context, it feels like another Pretty Fly type song, catchy hook and some really obnoxious and unnecessary vocal stuff thrown in. Then the next two are also equally pop-pish travesties, turning the record into an endurance test. There's a re-mastered Dirty Magic after that which brings back some credibility, but from then on the record feels kinda American-Idiot-era-Green-Day-ish. Not TERRIBLE, but not enjoyable either, really.

2/5

xx

Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze

I love Kurt Vile. I'm a big folky at heart so his stoner-folk music is stuff I could happily listen to all day, equally good for car journeys, sunny afternon meanderings and sitting about late at night doing not very much.This one isn't as good as his last one but still really decent 8/10

f40a1fae.jpg

Run the Jewels - "Run the Jewels 2"

This is audio cocaine. Same as the first record, but different. Two of the most skilled rappers in the game spitting hot venom over thumping production laced with El-P's trademark eccentricities. I just love it. This tag team has probably become my favourite thing in hip-hop, particularly after the slew of disappointing, farty releases that have come out of the Black Hippie camp this year. As MCs, they're almost perfectly complimentary. They're both hitting you with vicious shot: Mike's just straight-up Tyson smacking you in the face, while El-P's coming at you with surgically-precise blows from crazy angles that you can't even figure out, like a ginger Anderson Silva. I fucking love this thing. It gets all of the stars.