aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

I've got a lass like that on Facebook. Incredibly dull. She still posts bit strips...

She's also obsessed with horses.

Her highlight this week? Letting everyone know her Dad's cars broken down.

It's strangely addictive to follow though.

See? It's always people who love horses! Maybe horses are really into inane chat...

It is oddly addictive! I know I should delete her but she always survives my cuts somehow. I think in a masochistic way I like having trivial things to direct my rage towards. I already deleted the people who genuinely make me angry by posting casual racism or particularly right-wing statements but it's good to keep some who are just so boring it's infuriating/hilarious.

That's the question that always comes to mind with this sort of shit. Who are these posts for? It is that the writer genuinely believes that there's an appetite for details of their every move from the people on their feed? Or is it the converse, that they wish there was and hope that by sharing they can create that appetite? Horrible stuff.

• 2 months later...

This is just a tired internet meme by this point isn't it? It happens any time a modern and old classic artist are linked in any way. I've seen pages with loads of comments like that in the past couple of days, there might be a few genuine ones, but most just look like blatant trolling by people who probably can't believe how easy it is to wind up old people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I caved and finally deleted The Most Boring Person I Know. Immediate regret as I didn't do one final trawl of her page to post on here.

She has realised that we're no longer friends and sent me a friend request with a message saying "No idea why you disappeared from my friends list - I didn't unfriend you! Was thinking that I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while and then it said I had to add you! If you unfriended me, sorry for bothering you. I'm assuming it's some mad fault, though. XxxX"

Waaaah. Can people not leave this sort of stuff be?  

On the plus side, when I inevitably give in to the guilt and accept her request, I can post the last six months on here.

• Upvote 1

Surely hiding someone from your feed is the better option than deleting someone. You don't have to see their shite but still can if you ever want to for some reason and you avoid any awkward situations. 

Hiding my mum's posts was one of the best things I've done to improve my facebook experience.

She's basically a friend of some friends of mine and I've never had much time for her but haven't actually engaged in conversation with her for about five years. I deleted her because I know nothing about her and we aren't actually friends. I had her hidden for ages but she's friends with other people I know, so would see her replies to their stuff. It was during a clear out that she got canned.

I do think muting people is ace, though. I imagine lots of people have me muted too. The only thing is you miss out on big events in their life that you should probably know about. I just found out that someone I know and do like (but had hidden from my feed because she just posted selfies all the time) has been living in Thailand for the last six months. Doh!

Edited by kirsten

I've got about 90% of the people on my friends list unfollowed, that way when I log in to Facebook my news feed only has family, close friends, and people who I actually care about / am interested in rather than a bunch of selfieing roflocopter cunts I worked with like a week once. It drastically improves the Facebook experience. Highly recommended. It's unusual for me to unfriend entirely, I did bin a guy this week for posting a bunch of anti-Islam stuff, bye bye ex-boyfriend of a former flamate who I lived with for 6 months in 2008.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

I feel bad.

There's a guy who always posts selfies, regardless of the occasion. When it's sunny, when he's happy, when it rains, when there is a dog around. Just all the time. I put one up yesterday saying "look at the snow!" because everyone was taking pictures of the snow, but really it was just a picture of me. Just a wee laugh. Taking the piss.

Saw the guy today, and he's a really nice dude.

Should I feel like a bad person?

Signed,
Anxious in Aberdeenshire

I feel bad.

There's a guy who always posts selfies, regardless of the occasion. When it's sunny, when he's happy, when it rains, when there is a dog around. Just all the time. I put one up yesterday saying "look at the snow!" because everyone was taking pictures of the snow, but really it was just a picture of me. Just a wee laugh. Taking the piss.

Saw the guy today, and he's a really nice dude.

Should I feel like a bad person?

Signed,

Anxious in Aberdeenshire

I liked your "Hanging out with bae" picture with a bag of coriander. I lolled.

She has realised that we're no longer friends and sent me a friend request with a message saying "No idea why you disappeared from my friends list - I didn't unfriend you! Was thinking that I hadn't seen any posts from you for a while and then it said I had to add you! If you unfriended me, sorry for bothering you. I'm assuming it's some mad fault, though. XxxX"

Waaaah. Can people not leave this sort of stuff be?

On the plus side, when I inevitably give in to the guilt and accept her request, I can post the last six months on here.

I replied to her message. Potentially a massive faux-pas but felt like an arsehole for ignoring it. Really excited to see if she replies.