aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

Copied/pasted:

"By the way. See the lass in the picture. She is an absolute STANKMONSTER"

"Not kidding. Check the state of her puss. Rotten man. Seen tastier looking dog shites"

Really awful to see that, no need.

The guy plays bass in a band from Glasgow called Vasa. We've played with them before, they came across as nice people, so this is disappointing.

That's awful.

Any rage brought up by his comments is offset by the fact that he's perpetually making an arse of himself by being in a band called 'Vasa'

Now some fanny has written a response to them, going on about how everyone in Aberdeen is one big happy family who love to all help each other out. Which is about as much rubbish as anything they said. Having to write an article to attack a young band is absolutely pathetic, but i expected no less tbh. 

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about with regard to the "scene" stuff - I didn't find anything the band said offensive.  Some of it was BS, but don't we all talk bollocks sometimes?

What is a "scene" anyway?  The word seems so superficial to me, like a fad or a whim.  I wish it was a "community" to be honest and there are times when it feels that way too - in the way that The Moorings looks like a scary place from the outside but inside everyone who's there is by and large only interested in having a pleasant evening, or attending a Laika Come Home gig where it's plain to see that a lot of love and thought has gone into what's going on - charity donations, everything runs smooth (or appears to anyhow - and that doesn't happen by accident) and there's cake for goodness sake!  Other promoters/band nights are available BTW ;)  Not that I feel particularly part of the "scene" anyway - I'm an interested bystander who doesn't know enough of the shadowy cabal at the upper echelons to be a face/name (that's my fault and my choice - but it does make getting gigs a lot harder in my experience).

I have digressed and rambled.

The comments about the aesthetic qualities of the lass who conducted the interview/wrote the article, however - they were pretty awful.  As a child/teenager I had my aesthetic and social qualities, shall we say, called into question more times than I wish to remember.  We were just kids but to see adults still at it is disheartening.  Has nothing changed?  Has no-one grown up?  It still hurts, you know.  Sticks, stones, words, they're all the same, they just cut and bruise in different ways.  It's not "just the Internet" - words can hurt regardless of the delivery medium and it's high time people who cowardly trade in this kind of bottom of the barrel "humour" got that through their thick, multi-personalitied skulls.

• Upvote 6

They probably annoyed the wrong person at some point, who has now gone out of his/her way to make this out to be a much bigger thing than it actually is. 

It should be a community and from what i can gather it is, but in any community there are always separate groups of people who enjoy specific things, the people insulting these guys the most dont seem to have much interest in their genre of music anyway, so its an easy target to go after. We now have people pushing the likes of Ross Calder and them to never book them again, what does that say about our great scene spirit that we have in Aberdeen? Say one thing not everyone agree's with and we will do our best to make sure you never play here again. A really great way of showing how Aberdeen bands all pull together to help each other. They probably have come across quite a few cunts whilst gigging up here, we all have, which is probably what they have been talking about, they will have certainly come across unhelpful bands and people and will have certainly experienced crowds with no interest in watching them, again thats part of the course, only they have said it in an interview and dared to upset some people who have gone on the huge defensive over nothing.

Who cares if they think they are in the top 5 bands in Aberdeen, they are actually pretty good for that kinda noisey metal stuff i cant stand, but their recordings live up to anything else ive heard up here. 

I think it pretty much comes from the fact that what they said is only their experience. Not representative of the Aberdeen scene at all. And it's only their experience because, as they've shown, they're fannies who cause the in-fighting and "politics" they allude to themselves by "kicking the hornet's nest".

That has nothing to do with your previous point really. They never said their only experience of Aberdeen was bad, which you stated previously. Also the point about the hornets nest was about other bands songs not about politics in bands in aberdeen. Seriously, read the interview. 

From what i can gather this all really kicked off because of some guy called Liam, who happens to not get along with OOK. So they are right in a way, you have to be friends with the right people or your in trouble. Had someone like yourself said that Teabags it would have been ignored, because your liked, and the same people slagging them off would have probably backed you up, thats just the way it is at times. 

Edited by The Milner

That has nothing to do with your previous point really. They never said their only experience of Aberdeen was bad, which you stated previously. Also the point about the hornets nest was about other bands songs not about politics in bands in aberdeen. Seriously, read the interview. 

I never said it was their only experience of Aberdeen. I said it was only their experience of Aberdeen. As in, they're the only band that experience it, other bands don't. Seriously, read my post.

Edited by Teabags
  • Upvote 1