aberdeen-music

D-Range

So lets sum it all up:

Its a fiver more expensive than Toms.

Its new with new equipment and a fancy new room.

Its got a decent enough PA.

Its further away, from somewhere.

Its closer to somewhere else.

It wont have a sexy looking Capt Tom dishing out freddo's.

You wont hear the band next door.

People in bands spend all of their extra money on fags, booze and popcorn.

Have i missed anything? 

You can't use your own guitar or bass heads. And it doesn't have the amazing fancy new bass stacks that Toms does.

I don't actually think 20 quid is that bad for a practice space in a central location in which there is only a single room. Sure Toms is cheaper but he has 4 rooms, 5 if you include the studio. So he can make like 75 quid an hour. At a tenner an hour the most D-Range are going to make in a day if they are open from 12 till ten say is a hundred pounds. That takes into account it's being used every hour btw!

• Upvote 1

I'd be wary of spending wads of cash on good gear if i was running a practice space, the cost of constantly repairing amps that your average punter will inevitably cunt up would drive me crackers.

i dont think the gear is that bad since its only for practicing. When we practice we just jam away on 15 watt amps but i jam away on my mates gibson sometimes. It depends what guitar your using through the amp if its cheap shit it will sound shit. Mate ill give you a phone on sunday i think our band has found a practice space. Yes toms is a lot better in a lot of areas but this is most convienant for our band

Above advice is drively shite.  Definitely don't ignore your market research.

However, I wouldn't be too disheartened by this site's feedback alone.  I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised by how many people will pay a bit extra for a premium space - not everyone has quite the commitment for a share in a lockup.  And for what it's worth, nobody gives a fuck about buying sweets at a rehearsal space.  That's what shops are for.

• Upvote 6

i dont think the gear is that bad since its only for practicing. When we practice we just jam away on 15 watt amps but i jam away on my mates gibson sometimes. It depends what guitar your using through the amp if its cheap shit it will sound shit. Mate ill give you a phone on sunday i think our band has found a practice space. Yes toms is a lot better in a lot of areas but this is most convienant for our band

What are you even talking about?

Edited by Alkaline

Im saying no point in buying more amps the practice room has decent spec ones. Maybe a cab or two if people are taking their heads with them. Maybe an acoustic amp too (hint hint) but no point in buying more amps theyre just going to get wrecked. In the future buy decent quality amps for the studio as that would be more beneficial and usefull and wont take as much if a beating. Some other guitars for hire too as i hate ibanez but dont go splashing your cash on fenders. I middle range squier would sound fine or maybe a standard epiphone.

Im saying no point in buying more amps the practice room has decent spec ones. Maybe a cab or two if people are taking their heads with them. Maybe an acoustic amp too (hint hint) but no point in buying more amps theyre just going to get wrecked. In the future buy decent quality amps for the studio as that would be more beneficial and usefull and wont take as much if a beating. Some other guitars for hire too as i hate ibanez but dont go splashing your cash on fenders. I middle range squier would sound fine or maybe a standard epiphone.

I'm pretty sure I said that and then you quoted me and gibbered on about something else...

Edited by Alkaline

I don't see that the negative comments in the thread were all that unhelpful. After said backlash, the OP strongly hinted he hadn't done enough research on his competitors, that he'd be amenable to making the price more competitive and then did so (until the end of the year). So pretty constructive IMO, in an admittedly tough love sort of way.

Fair points were made about Tom's having an advantage in terms of economy of scale, the insignificance of the price difference vis-a-vis the cost of a sandwich or a CostaBucks. But the fact remains (and at the risk of flogging a dead horse): there's an equally good service at a better price and helping out some plucky start-up isn't enough of a reason to switch (and what, give less business to Tom, whom everyone seems to like?).

If this new place can't compete with Tom's economy of scale, it needs to either: get more rooms so it can compete, keep the price competitive and make do with lower profit margins, or offer a better service (better gear for example, a nightmare though it might be) in order to justify a higher charge.

Edit: and yes, worth a punt during the initial period of a discount and brand new gear, surely.

Edited by scottyboy
  • Upvote 2