aberdeen-music

on the lookoot for a bass cab

stu

To be fair, there isn't as much volume difference between hooking up an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab.  Double the watts does not equal double the perceived volume.  Cab sensitivity and configuration (number/size of drivers, porting) counts for a lot when it comes to the amount of air being kicked around.  I wouldn't discount a good 8 ohm cab solely on the basis of its impedance.  I gigged for years with a Hartke HA3500 into an 8 ohm Ashdown ABM 4x10 (so that's 230W instead of the 350W at 4 ohms).  Never wanted for volume.

To be fair, there isn't as much volume difference between hooking up an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab. Double the watts does not equal double the perceived volume. Cab sensitivity and configuration (number/size of drivers, porting) counts for a lot when it comes to the amount of air being kicked around. I wouldn't discount a good 8 ohm cab solely on the basis of its impedance. I gigged for years with a Hartke HA3500 into an 8 ohm Ashdown ABM 4x10 (so that's 230W instead of the 350W at 4 ohms). Never wanted for volume.

Maybe worth a look then. Head will be here Monday so could give it a blast? Got a deal on a new hartke head matt so went for that instead of a red sub or promethean. Comes with a 4 year warranty too.

What is the head?

Darn few put out 500w into 8ohms so Adam's cab should to it.

The HA1000 does, but the Kilo is a bit of a wimp, so is probably safe.

I have a Trace 800w 8ohm 410.

Its a hartke lh500 its 4ohms and is really designed for their hydrive cabs. Class A tube driven, solid state output capable of bi-amping. Hopefully Adams cab will work well enough. Interested in Grahams ash down too tho. What are you putting through your trace?

Anthing i want... it handles 800w.

The 500 won't smoke the Hartke XL cab and will sound amazing.

The XL range is Hartke's best stuff.

More efficient than the Ashdown.

Nice and light, too.

I'm really hoping it does, I'm open minded but me and ashdown don't tend to get on, amp wise. Weight is an issue to a degree and ive heard the xl's are fine and light. A sexy rig would be!

Anthing i want... it handles 800w.

The 500 won't smoke the Hartke XL cab and will sound amazing.

The XL range is Hartke's best stuff.

More efficient than the Ashdown.

Nice and light, too.

The Ashdown is a pretty efficient cab I'll have you know :)  Played Ampeg, Trace Elliot and Ashdown heads through it, used it live and in the studio and have had great results every time.  No worries if its not what you are looking for Stu, but it is a perfectly good cab.

Edited by Graham