aberdeen-music

why do bands from Aberdeen fail ?

maud 'dib

Just to point out; I listened to a bit of the stream when I got home (it's up in full on Youtube to watch again) and the sound is really good but its never going to capture the feeling of being there as its straight out of the PA so you can't hear any ambient noise or the crowd etc.

The guys filming it did a seriously good job cutting it all together on the fly too, looks very slick.

Accidentally posi-repped Maud'lib. Not even gonna address that comment he made as I think it was maybe just a case of being a wee bit tipsy.

I think Aberdeen holds our own. It's all down to perspective. I'm really not that bothered if we put out a pro-touring band or anything, but the local scene here is pretty alright right now.

That stream was fucking ace. I dipped in and out throughout the day and it made up nicely for not being there in person. The sound coming from the desk - you take the rough with the smooth and the bands still sounded great. Dear John were great as were deportees and some of the acoustic stuff. Cant remember the names but they were good enough to warrant a rewatch. Also gonna set some time aside for turning 13 who I missed.

All in all a fantastic job by all involved.

One thing I feel must be said - and its not to be a daisy downer - the production company behind the video, please please dont do anymore of those 'drunk chat' videos. They are awful and filled with sexist bile. Youve shown youre better than that by supporting a great event. Use that as a springboard into worthwhile endeavours that dont cast a bad light on aberdeen. (If you dont know what im talking about, check the rest of their youtube channel)

• Upvote 3

Nefarious C makes a good point about perspective. Glasow for example produces some great music and local acts put on decent nights, but on the other side when one band makes it in  a certain style or genre it seems like everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

There are hunners of bands in Glasgow that are either Hollistercore shit or blatant rip-offs of Mogwai, Twilight Sad or Biffy Clyro. This can make putting on or playing gigs at the lowest levels a real slog cos if you're in an actual decent band, its difficult to get heard. It was even worse when bands would rip off bigger bands like AnCo or Circa Survive.

Another problem is that more and more venues are paying more and more extortionate fees to use their venues. Also promoters are taking more and more ticket shares. If you're creative and have the time, you can put on your own gigs in the decent venues, but then people take advantage of this and start to take the piss.

So you can either take on the whole process yourself and be a (incredibly poor) whipping boy for the whole scene or stick it out getting fucked over by greedy bastards.

yes this happened to me.....

What the fuck is this?

Hollistercore was a derisive term me and a friend made up to describe an overly fashion/image conscious trend within punk/hardcore music. Not that everyone needs to be a big sweaty beardy dude to play hardcore or whatever but bands that dress and play in  a way that seems cut out of amould in order to get on whatever label piss me the hell off.

I don't really want to talk shit about specific bands cos I could do with making some friends before I make any enemies but its basically this:

Edited by Orthodox Caveman

Really?

Is your idea of punk still mohawks and studded leather jackets?

I was taking the piss a little bit. It is probably true to an extent though but only because I have very little awareness of punk music other than the old classic bands and those of the pop punk boom from my last years at school.

But I stand by the idea that a band caring about their image isn't noteworthy enough to disgrace the world by coming up with such an awful term as Hollistercore.

Maybe I didn't make this too clear, I agree that there is nothing wrong with a band caring about it's image, but I guess there is a certain breed of band that takes itself waaaay to seriously in terms of how they come across and this is something that has annoyed me in my time as a musician and a promoter. In the past as well, I've not been immune to it myself.

As well, I don't think its the biggest problem ever and wasn't really what I intended to convey with my original post. Its just a dumb in joke, I guess.

Edited by Orthodox Caveman

Maybe I didn't make this too clear, I agree that there is nothing wrong with a band caring about it's image, but I guess there is a certain breed of band that takes itself waaaay to seriously in terms of how they come across and this is something that has annoyed me in my time as a musician and a promoter. In the past as well, I've not been immune to it myself.

This.