aberdeen-music

Bands / artists you have been lucky enough to see live...

KSJ81

I know there are loads but my memory is awful and the best ones I can think of are Beastie Boys, LCD Soundsystem and Pulp. Still holding out for Guided By Voices. I'll be seeing Television play Marquee Moon in full in November, which I hope is going to be pretty special.

I saw Guided By Voices at Leeds Fest many years ago. I'm annoyed that I wasn't into them back then. They were pleasant enough, but I was only in that particular as I was waiting with my then-missus to watch some ghastly pop punk band. It might have been New Found Glory. What a depressing story.

That was the same Leeds Fest where I saw Weezer. I spent the entire White Stripes set barging my way right to the front. Maladroit had just come out, so it was just before they went full-tilt shit. A good mix of all 4 albums, loads from Pinkerton. YEAH!

Edited by Joda Serk

Although when I saw Blink it was post-reunion, still glad I can tick them off my list. Same with Taking Back Sunday. A band I grew up listening to all the time, finally saw them and it was the TAYF line up. Decent.

Still so many bands that I need to see but either hardly ever tour, or never come north of the border.

For me, some of the standouts have been:

Pixies

Vashti Bunyan

Sonic Youth

Aphex Twin

Teenage Fanclub

Bright Eyes

Rilo Kiley

Low

Shellac

Dirty Three

Grizzly Bear

St Vincent

Sharon Van Etten

On a slightly smaller scale, I'm delighted to have seen Stapleton and Aereogramme as many times as I did before they split up.

Edited by girl anachronism

Oh yeah, that reminds meI saw Iggy at TitP one year as well, that was cool. He invited loads of folk from the audience onto the stage that day too. Shiny purple trousers, nae tap.

Iggy pop is one of those people who makes everyone look and feel a bit shit isnt he? 60 and still jumping around like Bruce Lee, you can see 15 year olds in the crowd "wince" as if to say, "bit lively in't he?"....whislt he dry humps a marshall stack.

Iggy pop is one of those people who makes everyone look and feel a bit shit isnt he? 60 and still jumping around like Bruce Lee, you can see 15 year olds in the crowd "wince" as if to say, "bit lively in't he?"....whislt he dry humps a marshall stack.

Yeah, but he looks like a dehydrated scrotum.

I sadly can't think of a single legendary band I've seen at the top of their game. I saw At The Drive In at Coachella 2 years ago but I don't count that because they're past it and festival sets don't count anyway. I ticked off Amon Tobin from my list at coachella too. That was ok.

Seeing Nas in his hometown of Queens the other week was pretty special but, again I don't count that because it was in a stadium with pretty bad sound and he's a few years passed his prime. 

I tend to not go to big gigs. They're always overpriced and ultimately not worth going - to me there's something better about smaller venues, being closer to the music etc. Saw Radiohead at the AECC years ago (when Asian Dub Foundation supported) which I guess was them at their peak(ish). I wasn't really a fan then and didn't enjoy it - seemed to go on for ages.

I might use this thread as inspiration to get off my arse and go see the bands I like before they get shit.

I sadly can't think of a single legendary band I've seen at the top of their game. I saw At The Drive In at Coachella 2 years ago but I don't count that because they're past it and festival sets don't count anyway. I ticked off Amon Tobin from my list at coachella too. That was ok.

I'd say they do, so long as it's not a half arsed reunion, or some sort of gimmick. I've seen Weezer 3 times. The festival set was the best by miles. The other two times, they played loads of shite, looked bored as hell. The 3rd time I saw them, Rivers went and stood at the back next to the drum kit for a bit and Brian sang 4 or 5 songs instead.

Festival sets count as double. Band don't mess about at festivals. They bring it. Pure A-Game.

Id agree, festival sets are where its at for me, because most of the time the band has to play the good songs, the casual crowd are not interested in some rare b side from an EP twelve years ago that five people bought, so they tend to avoid them as much as possible. One of the best sets i have seen in recent years was Jimmy Eat World at T, they just blasted through hit after hit, nae bullshit. One of the worst i have seen was Blonde at Rockness a few years back, they were playing okish, then came out with the line "oh we're going to play some new stuff for you now" and half the crowd walked off to something else. 

I tend to not go to big gigs. They're always overpriced and ultimately not worth going - to me there's something better about smaller venues, being closer to the music etc. Saw Radiohead at the AECC years ago (when Asian Dub Foundation supported) which I guess was them at their peak(ish). I wasn't really a fan then and didn't enjoy it - seemed to go on for ages.

I was a bit disappointed by that show. Not quite sure what was off but it was no where near as good as the other Radiohead shows I've been too.

Asian Dub Foundation were fantastic though.

Id agree, festival sets are where its at for me, because most of the time the band has to play the good songs, the casual crowd are not interested in some rare b side from an EP twelve years ago that five people bought, so they tend to avoid them as much as possible. One of the best sets i have seen in recent years was Jimmy Eat World at T, they just blasted through hit after hit, nae bullshit. One of the worst i have seen was Blonde at Rockness a few years back, they were playing okish, then came out with the line "oh we're going to play some new stuff for you now" and half the crowd walked off to something else.

Seems like an argument for festival crowds being shite! :)

Fair enough.

Additions to my list.....

Billy Fury

Rolling Stones (mid 70s)

Love

Bob Cooney

Link Wray

Dylan

Only Ones

Richard & Linda Thompson

Kinks (70s)

Barney Kessell (sp?)

Les Paul

Ones that got away.....Nico at Univ. Union (didn't know she played til a few days after the gig).

Jeff Buckley...had the UK tour dates sticker on my copy of Grace, and considered traveling to see him, but decided I'd wait til he came up here :(

Fair enough.

Additions to my list.....

Billy Fury

Rolling Stones (mid 70s)

Love

Bob Cooney Court

Link Wray

Dylan

Only Ones

Richard & Linda Thompson

Kinks (70s)

Barney Kessell (sp?)

Les Paul

Ones that got away.....Nico at Univ. Union (didn't know she played til a few days after the gig).

Jeff Buckley...had the UK tour dates sticker on my copy of Grace, and considered traveling to see him, but decided I'd wait til he came up here :(

Used to live there