aberdeen-music

Bands / artists you have been lucky enough to see live...

KSJ81

Hmmm let's see,

David Devant and his Spirit Wife - when they had the full original line up, just after Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous was released

Mott the Hoople - Original line-up, last gigs they will ever do with the full original line up sadly, they were amazing

Queen and Paul Rodgers - Not everyone's cup of tea but I will always love Queen so even the chance to see a bastardised half of them was pretty cool.

Marillion with Fish - As Marillion are my favourite band and they split when i was 11/12, i was very happy to be at the only occasion since that Marillion have done a song with Fish, I had to travel half the length of the UK effectively just for one song but it was worth it for me.

Barenaked Ladies with Steve Page - Again another line up gone but was so pleased I saw them live

The Beautiful South - Another band that many people hate but i really like, loved seeing them live with full brass section etc, saw Paul Heaton solo a few years after that and he was incredibly poor.

Asia - One of the bands I grew up with but never thought I'd get to see the original line up of but was lucky enough to see twice before Steve Howe buggered off again

Dido - I don't care what anyone says one of the best pop singers/writers out there and loves seeing her live, great show with a brilliant band

Bruce Springsteen - Got into the Boss late so have loved seeing him twice on the last tour.

Meat Loaf - Back when he still had the voice after Bat 2 and his greatest hits, saw him after Bat 3 and he was terrible.

Magnum - Another band i grew up with via my brothers taste in music but ended up really liking, so was pleased to finally see them when they reformed,

Not many tbh, certainly a shorter list than the one of defunct bands and dead musicians I'll never see, and of rarely-touring bands I haven't gotten round to seeing. Not inspired by many of those listed in this thread though, Alan's amazing roster excepting.

I guess the Boredoms in Aberdeen was pretty special, and lucky. I'd never heard of them and didn't like what I'd sampled on the net; I pretty much went because IMP (?) kept raving on here about what a coup it was getting them to Aberdeen and that it would be criminal not to go. And it did turn out to be a pleasant, mind-blowing surprise.

The best gig I ever went to was Paul Gilbert at a small club in Leeds, and I was a few metres from the great man. This was when he first started doing instrumental albums, which he's since continued and so perhaps gets bigger crowds now. Probably not though. Neverthless I'm really glad I saw this one and that my only experience wasn't the second time I saw him: from a balcony in an all-seater concert hall gig supporting Satch, which wasn't nearly as inspiring.

And, uh, maybe Feeder... I was 16 at the time, and this was before the Coldplay-esque pretensions, so definitely the band's "peak".

Other musicians I'm very happy to have seen would include Steve Vai, Satch himself, Walter Trout and John Petrucci (maybe... don't care much for Dream Theater but the gig was worth it for Petrucci's improv sections; this was also a Portnoy line-up, but I can't claim to have cared). I wouldn't be shitting myself if I hadn't managed it yet though, touch wood.

In terms of "local" bands, this is about as exciting as I can manage: I've seen Avast!, Sick Trick when they supported A Wilhelm Scream and the Needles (heroes to Moderator Dave IIRC; I had no idea who they were but quite enjoyed it, and this couldn't have been long before they split up). The latter was, I think, supporting Mick Jones who might count; but Wiki informs me he's still playing with the same (pretty forgettable) band.
Edited by scottyboy

• 1 month later...

Ben Folds Five. I'm a massive fan but they'd split by the time I got into them. I've seen Ben on his own a few times but it really isn't the same as a lot of his solo stuff is hit or miss. They reunited for an album and tour last year and I saw them in a relatively small venue in the part of Poland I live in. Absolutely amazing gig, I've never seen a crowd so quite and utterly captivated as when he was doing the quiet stuff just him on the piano. You could have heard a pin drop.

New York Dolls at the Lemon Tree was pretty special too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh jeeeees!  I have seen so many awesome bands over the years it's untrue!  I think I've seen almost all the bands on my bucket list.  Off the top of my head:

Opeth

Alcest

Katatonia

Anathema

Genesis (with Phil Collins)

Yes

Joe Bonamassa

Nine Inch Nails

Mew

Deftones (with Chi Cheng)

Rush

Faith No More

Tool

Black Sun Aeon

Before the Dawn

Riverside

Oh jeeeees!  I have seen so many awesome bands over the years it's untrue!  I think I've seen almost all the bands on my bucket list.  Off the top of my head:

Opeth

Alcest

Katatonia

Anathema

Genesis (with Phil Collins)

Yes

Joe Bonamassa

Nine Inch Nails

Mew

Deftones (with Chi Cheng)

Rush

Faith No More