aberdeen-music

Bands / artists you have been lucky enough to see live...

KSJ81

The release of The Clash's Sound System box set yesterday got me to thinking about TITP 99 where I seen Joe and the Mescalero's on the main stage, although not quite as good as seeing The Clash (I was born in 1981 so was unlikely to see them before they split in  82), he battered out a good few Clash hits during his set. He looked terrible and couldn't remember the words to most of the songs but I still feel really lucky to have seen him live in the flesh - a proper legend who helped pull British music out of the terrible pub rock laden mid 70's of flares and ghastly side burns (IMHO).

There we go. I'm getting sentimental in my old age...

• Upvote 1

really happy i got to see The Locust this year. One of my favourite bands who have been on hiatus since whenever.

Also going to see The Toy Dolls before the end of the year which will probably be really funny/weird/cool.

I'm properly glad I went and saw Yourcodenameis:milo a few years back in Moshulu. They had a huge influence on my playing at the time and it was a stonking gig. I remember getting their second album a few years later only to find they'd broken up. Ignoto is still one of my favourite albums, proper good.

Seeing Slint's reunion show at ABC in Glasgow on a whim was probably the greatest decision I've ever made. I can't even remember why I was in Glasgow tbh, I was just wandering the streets looking for a pub late in the afternoon and somebody came up to me and offered me and the girl I was with 2 tickets for a band that sound like a sadder Mogwai. What a gig. It was loud as fuck.

Happy I got to see Grandaddy when I did since they broke up not long after. Seeing Arcade Fire when they were touring Funeral was incredible, no suburbs crap to deal with.

Felt pretty lucky the last time I saw Sonic Youth. Interference from that volcano in iceland meant that Mark Ibold didn't make it but the classic line up did. They ended up playing a set of entirely 80s material (except one from washing machine I think). Fantastic show.

Nadio OH of course since I saw here only performance of the last 5 years or something and she might never appear again.

• Upvote 1

As sad as it seems, i was delighted i got to see Blink 182 a few years back, been a huge band for me, and getting the chance to see them live was absolutely brilliant. Sames goes for Jimmy Eat World, another of my all time fav bands and i got to see them twice in a  year.

Also Aphex Twin. The only act in the world that almost made me shit myself, quite literally as well. 

In terms of super enormous bands:

Pixies

Neil Young

Sonic Youth

Bob Dylan

Bruce Springsteen

Smashing Pumpkins

I'm pretty lucky that I've managed to see quite a few of my favourite ever bands on more than one occasion, but I try not get too nostalgic as they're just bands. An excellent gig at Cellar 35 can be easily just as good as travelling to Glasgow/wherever to see one of your favourite touring bands. A lot of times, it's all about the moment, man.

• Upvote 1

I saw that same Joe Strummer set at T, dont recall much about it other than it being great to see him....

My combined top ones are Roky Erickson down in London a few years back and Tom Waits. Probably a once in a lifetime thing for both given rarity of tours in UK.

Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros and Fly Pan Am all on same bill at Lemon Tree was also great.

Also -

The Cramps

Mark Lanegan

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

Broadcast

Low

Clutch

Springsteen

AC/DC

Neil Young

The release of The Clash's Sound System box set yesterday got me to thinking about TITP 99 where I seen Joe and the Mescalero's on the main stage, although not quite as good as seeing The Clash (I was born in 1981 so was unlikely to see them before they split in  82), he battered out a good few Clash hits during his set. He looked terrible and couldn't remember the words to most of the songs but I still feel really lucky to have seen him live in the flesh - a proper legend who helped pull British music out of the terrible Prog rock laden mid 70's of flares and ghastly side burns (IMHO).

There we go. I'm getting sentimental in my old age...

Don't be too hard on the Pub Rock scene.  It gave Ian Dury, Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe a showcase...... along with the Clash and all the other punk bands.  Prog Rock was, by contrast, a travesty...........

I'm not too sure who to mention for this.  I think it's usually better to see an artist in their prime rather than years or decades later.  It was great to see Slint in 2007, but I'd rather have seen them in 1990 I guess.  A few that I did see 'in their prime' include Pavement, PJ Harvey, Sebadoh, Superchunk, Unsane, Pulp, Fugazi, Codeine, Loop, Inspiral Carpets, Stereolab, Babes in Toyland, Prolapse and the Delgados.  Two gigs that stand out, and were fairly contrasting, were seeing Huggy Bear and Bikini Kill on their legendary tour of 1993 and seeing Ivor Cutler in London in around 1997.  I was glad to see the former because it's become such an iconic event (and seemed quite important at the time too) and the latter was significant because I knew I probably wouldn't get another chance to see him.  There's been loads of recent stuff I've been lucky enough to see too - probably too much to mention.

My biggest regret is not seeing Spacemen 3 when I had the chance.  I got into them while they were still playing gigs but not long after they split up.  As the split was pretty hostile, and seems to remain so, I don't think I'll ever get the chance to see them.  With hindsight I'd have made more of an effort to see them while it was still possible.

• Upvote 2

Fairly close to the original line up of Iggy and the Stooges, a few times actually, this would include Iggy inviting the majority of Great Britain up onto the stage with them.

I saw Pantera too, a lot of folks round my way were proper jealous of that, i always thought they were pretty meh, until i saw them live and they literally blew the place apart. Pixies, 3 times.

Blind Melon ( who? ) yeh, they were pretty good......300 hundred years ago.

Someone mentioned Yourcodenameis:milo, one of the best live bands ive ever seen.

I saw Winnebago Deal years a few years back and it was fucking insanely good, partly because someone in the "pit" ( are they still called that? ) had a pink Nazi helmet........ (.huh huh....helmet ) ........on, with the spike in the middle and everything. Happy with that.

• Upvote 2

Oooft. Seen quite a few through years of slogging through festivals - a few of the "legends" include:

Rob Zombie

Marilyn Manson

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Green Day (finally saw them right as they released American Idiot, so they opened the set with American Idiot then it was 2 1/2 hours of their GOOD stuff, even threw in some of the weird shit from Insomniac too which I fucking LOVED)

Iggy & The Stooges

NOFX

Rancid

The Lurkers

Blink 182 (Huge influence growing up, but they sucked out loud live. I also saw them post-reform which meant the set was pretty cack if I'm honest. Most disappointing show I've ever been to, actually.)

Pixies

Smashing Pumpkins

UK Subs (I was lucky enough to land support slots when these guys played drummonds - fuck yeah!)

Sham 69 (These guys too)

Stiff Little Fingers (And these guys, in 'Shulu/Warehouse)

Alkaline Trio (one of my all-time favourite bands, seen them more times than I can remember - fucking amazing every time.)

Probably some more that I'm forgetting to be honest! So many years at Leeds Fest plus a few other scattered festivals, and my memory sucks at the best of times!

xx