aberdeen-music

RIP Johnny Ramone

Guest scott cs.

Guest scott cs.
Los Angeles, CA (September 15, 2004) -- Johnny Ramone, co-founder and lead guitarist of seminal 70s punk rock band The Ramones, died in his sleep this afternoon at 3:03 pm in his home in Los Angeles. Ramone had been fighting an ongoing five year battle with prostate cancer. At the time of his death, Ramone was surrounded by friends and family that included his wife Linda Cummings, Eddie and Jill McCormack, Rob and Sherrie Zombie, John Frusciante and Robert Carmine. Additional friends who gathered at the home included Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Lockwood, Pete Yorn, Vincent Gallo, Steve Jones, Talia Shire, Gia Coppola and Jackie Getty. Johnny Ramone, whose real name was Johnny Cummings, co-founded The Ramones in 1974 along with fellow bandmates Joey Ramone, DeeDee Ramone and Tommy Ramone, the only surviving member of the original band. The band, which gained critical acclaim and a huge following in New Yorks underground music scene at the time performing at clubs such as CBGBs, is widely credited for bringing the punk rock genre to the forefront. The Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Johnny Ramone is survived by his wife Linda Cummings and his mother Estelle Cummings. His body will be cremated during a private ceremony.

i thought he was winning against the cancer.

RIP Johnny.

That's pretty horrible news. Only Tommy left, drummers always seem to be the last survivors, actually I can't think of that many examples but I'll bet Ringo outlives McCartney.

Either way it's pretty awful. The Ramones - It's Alive was the first proper punk album I ever bought, I owe them major gratitude.

Strummer and 3 of the original Ramones all dead before 65, I bet Ian Watkins lives to be 120 or something (no justice).

R.I.P Johnny.

doesn't make it any better though kirk.

r.i.p Johnny

i know it doesnt. anyone who saw the no pints (and who sees my next band The Planeteers) will know that The Ramones were a MASSIVE influence on me. it's sad that Johnny has gone. Nearly all of my musical heros are dead...3 of the ramones, frank sinatra, johnny cash, george harrison, joe strummer and all in the last few years. tragic.

Guest killamangiro

'beat on the brat with a baseball bat oh yeah, one song, now i wanna snife some glue, now i wanna have something to do, another song, and NOT ONE GOD DAMN guitar solo maan couldnt believe it'

one chord,

bless his soul