aberdeen-music

CS Buchan, The Marionettes & The Deportees at Drummonds 31 August

Graham Knight

Cafe Drummonds had three attractions on the bill on Saturday night: CS Buchan, The Marionettes and The Deportees.

There is a world of difference in the three styles but the combination seemed to work well and drew a very large crowd.

Having watched CS Buchan's YouTube Videos I half expected a performance against a backprojection of seacapes.  This was not to be but the audience still responded well.

The Marionettes have a large local following and with lead singer Paddy playing guitar for most of the night - the four guitars and the ever present pile-driving drummer made for a big, big sound. The vocals could have been a bit higher in the mix for me but maybe, at my age, I just need a new hearing aid! 

I liked the part in The Marionettes show where Paddy laid down the guitar, grabbed some drumsticks and furiously banged away on the cymbals - bands sometimes forget to "Make a Show" - this was good entertainment.

It was The Deportees first show in about a year.  I like their "I Lost Her To The Sea" as it is one of the best recordings to come out of Aberdeen.  The crowd got even bigger when The Deportees went on so they must have quite a fan-base.

I was a little worried before The Deportees started that they might be missing a member as I noticed Aberdeen Music's multi-poster "Adam Easy Wishes" was constantly surrounded by young ladies clamouring for his attention. He eventually made it to the stage.

It was a good night and there was no admission charge.  Well done all and Drummonds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1