aberdeen-music

HELP (crybaby screw up)

meiklejohn

So, I thought I would be an absolute hero and try and move the led on my dimebag darrel crybaby from on the heel, which I can't see, to the top left corner which is perfect...

So I did it today at work, had a rough idea on what I needed to do, led out, solder wire to the legs and solder into the new place?

Took it home to try it, not only does the led not work but the "wah" doesn't work either!

Think I've fooked up somewhere, needing someone to look at it and fix it, like Paul G? Can't mail him for some reason though.

I will pay you whatever you want to charge, if nobody can fix it can they recommend someone who can?

Please help!

Cheers fellas

Check you haven't accidentally snapped a wire while you had the pedal apart.  When I screw up modifications I double check my work and then treat the pedal as if I'm working on it for the first time. i.e. check the basics; do the input and output jacks connect to the right places, does the power supply still work, are all the earth wires connected etc.  You probably find something obvious!

Sounds like you've moved something other than the led when you did this one. Worth checking whether you pulled another wire loose or damaged any other connection when moving bits around. It's quite easy to crack a solder joint if you have to move stuff around a bit.

I could have a look for you, but not for a few weeks at least. I'm backed out the door with stuff to do just now, wish there was more time for tinkering with pedals. Let us know if it's still bust in a fortnight and I'll have a bash, no bother.

Hey thanks for the reply guys, took it back to work, resoldered everything and double checked everything was still in place but its still the same, led wont work, the boost switch led works fine but the on/off (the one I tried moving) doesn't....

Also still no wah, pedal is bypassing fine but when I click it on absolutely nothing happens, no pop, no nothing, no sign of any life...

Have I wrecked it? :-(

Is there anyone I can take it to in Aberdeen, on holiday next week so would be perfect

Cheers

Edited by meiklejohn

It may sound daft, but first double check a few of the painfully obvious but easily forgotten - check everything works bypassed so you know it is definitely the pedal at fault (not a patch cable or something), then check/replace the battery - I have done similar work, and gotten very worried over a now non-functioning pedal only to find I had forgotten to replace the battery.

Did you reverse the polarity of the LED when you moved it?

Have you shorted something with your moving/wiring - no new bit of wire is touching something it shouldn't be, a blob of solder bridging a connection or similar.

Also double check that when you were working on it you haven't damaged something else - a broken wire on a circuit board from moving it or something else knocked out of whack.

• 2 weeks later...

if something is fried, it should be a mater of just replacing any damaged parts. There could be a problem if a part is hard to get I suppose, but not much is hard to get these days. A short circuit isn't usually a problem to actually fix once you've found it either.

If these guys don't come through for you, I'd be happy to have a look. The more info you can get from them the better though. Give us a bell if you need a hand

• 3 months later...