aberdeen-music

A question for those living in Poland..

Do you see yourself staying abroad in the long term or do you plan on returning to Scotland after a certain amount of time?

I've lived in Barcelona for 5 years now and for most of that time I never really pictured myself moving back home and thought that if I did go back to Scotland it would probably be to Edinburgh or Glasgow. However I've just spent a few weeks back home as I usually do in August and for the first time it's really made me think about returning, not just to Scotland but to Aberdeen. It's taken me by surprise a wee bit and I'm interested to see whether the feeling wears off quickly or sticks around.

I'm only in Dublin so it's not exactly the other side of the world. I've been two years here, and I do really like it but I do see myself moving back eventually. I haven't been able to find a decent job here and I'm struggling financially, and Ireland is in a bad way with the economy and with austerity looming over everybody. Also I miss my family, and although Dublin isn't far it's still about 100 quid + for a flight (x 2 if my girlfriend is coming) + car hire, + spending money, which I can't really afford so I don't get back more than a couple times a year. I do get more homesick after I've just been home though, and I was just back last month, saw all the kids and that. I reckon I will come back in a couple more years, by then I'll be married and should have a bit more cash behind me, plus I'm getting to the stage in my life now where living in the heart of a big city is losing its appeal and I'd prefer to live somewhere smaller and quieter.

I've lived in Poland for 3 years now and before that in Poland for 4 years, with a year in Edinburgh in between. I haven't been home since I moved to New York and I do miss it. Was meant to take my gf to scotland/home this summer but our rent went up and we couldn't afford it. I like having 'home' as being somewhere to go back to every once and a while. I have no idea what I'd do for a job if I ever moved back and I don't think I'd want to settle in Scotland to be honest. I don't really know why - weather, better financial opportunities for me elsewhere, not sure.

Brooklyn is a genuinely ace-ic place to live, can't see myself moving for a good while although I wouldn't want to raise kids here (or at least the neighborhoods I can afford). Brooklyn kids are like the vietnam vets of kids. They are exposed to so much so young they look like they are all washed out at 15. It's probably the same in any big city where you grow up seeing trannies on the subway and the like - you'd get desensitized to everything. 

we're planning on doing a roadtrip across america at some point. Maybe by then I'll want to move, probably somewhere sunny like california. It'll definitely be in the US though. 

Guest Cool Thinker

I've lived in Poland for 3 years now and before that in Poland for 4 years, with a year in Edinburgh in between. I haven't been home since I moved to New York and I do miss it. Was meant to take my gf to scotland/home this summer but our rent went up and we couldn't afford it. I like having 'home' as being somewhere to go back to every once and a while. I have no idea what I'd do for a job if I ever moved back and I don't think I'd want to settle in Scotland to be honest. I don't really know why - weather, better financial opportunities for me elsewhere, not sure.

Brooklyn is a genuinely ace-ic place to live, can't see myself moving for a good while although I wouldn't want to raise kids here (or at least the neighborhoods I can afford). Brooklyn kids are like the vietnam vets of kids. They are exposed to so much so young they look like they are all washed out at 15. It's probably the same in any big city where you grow up seeing trannies on the subway and the like - you'd get desensitized to everything. 

we're planning on doing a roadtrip across america at some point. Maybe by then I'll want to move, probably somewhere sunny like california. It'll definitely be in the US though. 

How did you go about moving to New York if you don't mind me asking.

I have a US passport thanks to my Dad so the whole visa nightmare wasn't an issue. Secondy, I worked my ass off for a good while before leaving, stockpiled money and lived like a pauper knowing i'd need to either have a job by the time I moved or be ready to live off my savings for at least 6 months. Stayed with people I knew untill I found a job and built up enough credit to get a flat. that's pretty much it.

The whole visa thing puts people off moving to the states but it's not THAT hard to get one. I know loads of british folks who come over for an unpaid internship (for which you don't need a visa I think), then get offered a job and stay.

Guest Cool Thinker

I have a US passport thanks to my Dad so the whole visa nightmare wasn't an issue. Secondy, I worked my ass off for a good while before leaving, stockpiled money and lived like a pauper knowing i'd need to either have a job by the time I moved or be ready to live off my savings for at least 6 months. Stayed with people I knew untill I found a job and built up enough credit to get a flat. that's pretty much it.

The whole visa thing puts people off moving to the states but it's not THAT hard to get one. I know loads of british folks who come over for an unpaid internship (for which you don't need a visa I think), then get offered a job and stay.

Thank you for your reply :)

Also I miss my family, and although Dublin isn't far it's still about 100 quid + for a flight (x 2 if my girlfriend is coming) + car hire, + spending money, which I can't really afford so I don't get back more than a couple times a year. 

Yeah the cost of travelling back for visits is a problem for me. I do okay with money, salaries aren't high here but neither is the cost of living. When I'm back in Scotland I just seem to hemorrhage money.

It's also a real pain that I can't fly direct to Aberdeen from here.  I know compared to ca_gere who hasn't been back in years it's a minor complaint but it does make a difference; it kind of rules out going back just for a weekend.

I don't live abroad, but I'm not from Aberdeen. I moved here for something that didn't work out, but I stayed because I was a bit settled, had a job and all that. I'd like to move back to somewhere around Leeds or Manchester in the future. I don't know when. It's very difficult to set up elsewhere, getting a job and somewhere to live whilst living a few hundred miles away, so I'm here for now, but I don't intend it to be forever. I like Aberdeen, but I miss home.

Edited by Joda Serk

Do you see yourself staying abroad in the long term or do you plan on returning to Scotland after a certain amount of time?

I've lived in Barcelona for 5 years now and for most of that time I never really pictured myself moving back home and thought that if I did go back to Scotland it would probably be to Edinburgh or Glasgow. However I've just spent a few weeks back home as I usually do in August and for the first time it's really made me think about returning, not just to Scotland but to Aberdeen. It's taken me by surprise a wee bit and I'm interested to see whether the feeling wears off quickly or sticks around.

I think I'll definitely be staying in Melbourne for the medium term, but planning to return to home eventually. Really not sure when that will be, but I just can't imagine my long term future being anywhere but Aberdeen.

Melbourne's an amazing city (officially the most 'liveable' city in the world in 2013 again - The Economist) that is hard to tire of and I love my life here. I've got a decent job, nice apartment and a local buld. I still shudder handing over the equivalent of 6 quid just for a pint mind, but all is well here.

Of course I get home sick now and then, especially on the back of a freezing winter whilst it seems Scotland enjoyed a decent summer (or at least a few gorgeous days). But I was living with a mate from Scotland for a bit and have another really close mate from school living nearby which helps. Unlike many on here, it obviously isn't feasible to head home on a regular basis, it'd cost an arm and a leg and eat into a huge chunk of my annual leave that I'd prefer to use exploring this side on the world rather than a fortnight with my mates and family back home. But maybe that makes it easier as I'd really need to plan it well in advance so it's never even contemplated... though I have ring-fenced a 'Cup Final' fund so should the Dons make it I'll be ready to leave at the drop of a hat.

Edited by -matthEw-
  • Upvote 1

I've just moved back, not quite to Scotland but to the UK at least. I never intended to live in Poland forever but can't see myself returning to Scotland permanently, certainly not my "home" of Dundee.

I'd always had a vague plan of returning to study after a few years, but otherwise my reasons for returning are broadly similar to many of those above, exacerbated by the fact I was living in a third-world country. Money-wise I was quite comfortable given the cost of living, but it wouldn't go far on trips home or even to neighboring countries. In addition to being physical draining (indirect flights are 15+ hours Bangkok-London, before connections to Scotland/Saigon), the demands of even occasional trips home and numerous unpaid holidays meant it wasn't financially sustainable. Things like the terrible standard of healthcare, the difficulty of educating children and so on, while not being pressing issues currently, are reasons I wouldn't want to tie myself down to Poland long-term. And in the end I just didn't like Poland-Vietnam's (lack of) culture. I'm pretty bored in Dundee where I'm killing a few weeks, but it's pretty serene not on a daily basis being nearly mowed down by a sozzled, slack jawed peasant mounting the pavement or running a red light. 

After staying in San Diego for a week, I'd love to go back and stay there.  It's so chilled out, even the homeless people are friendly, and for a city, is amazingly quiet.

Plus, with the Gaslamp Quarter, there are heaps of bars and places to eat.

Edited by Scootray

Can't see myself going back to Scotland, to be honest. It's not just the miserable weather, but also many other things - for instance, I doubt they would recognise my professional development (and status) on an equal level there. I'm the Head of English (soon to be Head of Foreign Langauges next year when we start offering a 2nd foreign language) in a primary school here - I'm fully responsible for everything that happens with languages, as well as having responsibility for some other areas such as ICT strategy. I can't imagine I'd get offered something equal or better in Scotland - so that is a significant obstacle. I don't want to go back and teach English in a crappy language school, nor do I want to go back and enter the real teaching profession at the lowest pay level.

Then there's other things - for instance - I can drive to Croatia on holiday, there are so many interesting places to visit within a few hours drive (heck, Munich is only 7-8 hours away) - it just all weighs against living in Scotland for the long term. Even being able to go to Berlin in a couple of hours is great, and there are plenty of low cost flights from here - I managed to do a roundtrip to Stockholm for 1 euro to Stockholm flying and 39 euro by train back to Pozna?.

If I got offered a decent job in Scotland, I'd give it serious thought - but at this point, "decent job" would mean two things - going in at Assistant Head level or higher at a proper school, and having complete freedom to wear what I want at work. I can't imagine this happening in a million years - and I have no interest in wearing a shirt every day, let alone a tie or proper shoes. Poland is strangely laid back in this respect - there just isn't the same obsession with formality in clothes that the UK has.