aberdeen-music

Pre-Recorded audio used in a live setting

Stroopy121

Its not just Aberdeen Music tho, this is the age old argument between people in bands and people who make electronic music. Each side thinks they have the edge over the other for whatever reason, whereas the truth is both are equally as skilled as each other.

I would say it tends more towards the people in bands thinking they have some sort of upper hand, regardless of whether the music they make is turgid unoriginal pish or not....

Does it really matter?  Just get your head down and make your own music however you do it.  Some people will like it, some people won't.  Some people will consider you a musician, some people won't.  The music carries on regardless.

Am I a musician?  Am I an artist?  Am I tolerated as a mobile tool kit and convenient source of spare leads and batteries who can be relied upon in general to hit the right notes at the right times on a bass guitar?  It doesn't matter.  I am what I am, I play what I play and let people scurry around my output and pick holes in it, cry, laud, berate, try to classify it, rate it or put it in a box and tie a ribbon around it before putting it in a waste compactor and judge me as a consequence.  I'll sift through all that and take what's useful for me from it all but it won't get me down.

This is the trouble when one directs an opinion personally and takes a pop at something/someone that someone else is sure to hold dear.  It's bound to get up someone's nose.  I kept my criticism of the practice generic and look, no angry retorts by people who now feel compelled to defend their position.

• Upvote 3

I would say it tends more towards the people in bands thinking they have some sort of upper hand, regardless of whether the music they make is turgid unoriginal pish or not....

I would disagree, there just happens to be more people in bands so they come across louder. I've met quite a few people involved in electronic music who really look down their noses at people still stuck in the dark ages playing guitars or drums, each can be as bad as each other. 

I would disagree, there just happens to be more people in bands so they come across louder. I've met quite a few people involved in electronic music who really look down their noses at people still stuck in the dark ages playing guitars or drums, each can be as bad as each other.

I'm sure it does go both ways but I would say that this thread does not really represent that. To my mind a true Aberdeen music 'scene' would be supportive of all people trying to contribute, regardless of their chosen methods....but there seems to be an inherent need to try and define what is of value, justify a perceived holier than thou position in the 'scene' or what have you. That's my observation anyway and that hasn't altered over the past 10 years really.

Luckily of late some supportive and open minded heads have become more prevalent and are trying to do good things, long may it continue.....just sad that some feel the need to remove their presence from the most central online forum for local music....

I'm sure it does go both ways but I would say that this thread does not really represent that. To my mind a true Aberdeen music 'scene' would be supportive of all people trying to contribute, regardless of their chosen methods....but there seems to be an inherent need to try and define what is of value, justify a perceived holier than thou position in the 'scene' or what have you. That's my observation anyway and that hasn't altered over the past 10 years really.

Luckily of late some supportive and open minded heads have become more prevalent and are trying to do good things, long may it continue.....just sad that some feel the need to remove their presence from the most central online forum for local music....

Yeah but this thread is full of people in bands, and really, its only been 1 person really who has stated he thinks playing an instrument takes more skill. This board has always been more about bands than it has electronic music, but that doesnt mean anyone on here is ignorant to how important the electronic scene is. I pointed out before, but one of the most active feedback threads on here, is about electronic music. 

With the same token tho, people like Stripey,and most recently Tom have been on here looking down at people in bands because they feel what they do has more "cultural significance" whatever that means, so it clearly works both ways, even on here. 

• Upvote 1

There has been more than 1 and some have back tracked or been non-committal....you only really need to observe the distribution of 'likes' to see the true picture.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Tom to fucking Stripey...he was a different class, it went beyond just berating people for not being interested in electronica, he berated folk for not liking the 'correct' electronica, anything too populist...

There has been more than 1 and some have back tracked or been non-committal....you only really need to observe the distribution of 'likes' to see the true picture.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Tom to fucking Stripey...he was a different class, it went beyond just berating people for not being interested in electronica, he berated folk for not liking the 'correct' electronica, anything too populist...

Fuck me, you Scooter fans LOVE a moan - get a guitar and join the fuck in, or pack up your atari and fuck the fuck off.

• Upvote 1

The likes dont create a picture about anything really. People are not liking posts in this thread to show their dislike of electronic music. Or for their appreciation of guitar music over electronic music.

i wasnt really comparing Stripey and Tom, just mearly pointing out that snobbery towards guitar bands has been present on this very forum.There will always be people who dont like one or the other, and there will always be people who put across their dislike in a disrespectful manor, but dont tar the entire forum with the same brush. We dont all hate electronic music, we certainly dont all look down on it, and we definitely dont want to discourage those involved not to come here, i think i speak for 99% of the forums members when i say that.

One thing i have noticed tho is how protective the people in electronic music can be on these forums, which has in the past created an us vs them situation at times. Its almost like people come here to try and battle those in bands for some odd reason.

Edited by The Milner
  • Upvote 1

Who cares about being classified as a 'musician'? If you can use sounds, samples and whatever else to arrange a song, or a passage of music, then I don't think it matters if you took your instrument grades at school, and scored it all out on a piano, or whether you're pasting samples into a DAW and smashing them up with filters and time-stretching. There's tons of great music that is created outwith standard musical instruments. The 'noise' scene is pretty great if you can find the right stuff, and these are songs crafted from the manipulation of electronics, samples, FX pedals, and a whole load of other stuff.

How about DJs? You can't say that turntablism doesn't require any 'learning'. To be able to create linear percussive patterns, bass rhythms and whatever else purely from sampling on the fly is a skill in it's own right. Nobody just gets on a pair of decks and can immediately start scratching.

I don't really care how someone created a song. If it sounds good, then it sounds good.

• Upvote 4