aberdeen-music

Audio Interface help/favour

meiklejohn

So here's ma problem...

I'm using Reaper, bought a Tascam us-144 mkii audio interface and a dell desktop with 8gb ram.

I bought this computer on the basis I was hearing crackling through my laptop with 4gb of ram as soon as I tried using amplitube but looks like I wasted cash buying this computer because its still doing it!

I'm thinking it must be my interface that's interfering somehow, so I was wondering if anyone's had this problem before?

Also was wondering if any generous star would let me try there interface before buying a new just incase that's not the problem, will only need it for a few hours, you can even sit with me and watch me so you know it's in good hands. If I broke it I would buy it but that won't happen.

Any help would be good, feel like everything's going wrong since I tried this DAW stuff. Miss my easy little 8 track.

Cheers fellas

Guest Young Adolesent

Im not an expert but i think ram omly affects the speed. Its most likely latency. Upgrade your soundcard on your laptop. Or what kinda speakers are you using?

Edited by Young Adolesent

Guest Young Adolesent

Im not sure you get it. A soundcard is device in your computer. By upgrading that it can handle more powerfull stuff like your interface. If i were you invest in a good upgrade of soundcard and a decebt set of speakers. Shame knights aint open anymore sure they would have dond you a great deal on a soundcard. But try graham knight on here he may be able to help you with the problem

p.s someone might be able to give you a better definition of a soundcard. I cant find my notes on it. Its been 6 weeks since i looked at them. Fair to say im pretty screwed in my exams

Edited by Young Adolesent

You should try taking the power out while recording/monitoring, I've seen this happen with certain laptop/interface combinations.  I guess the other thing, although fairly obvious, is that the gain could be too high and the input is clipping.  Are you sure that everything is set correctly on your tascam - line/mic level or instrument input?

Look into a firewire interface (although sadly these look to be on the way out). I had a year of grief with a USB interface and haven't looked back since going to firewire 5 years ago. I also think Reaper may be part of the problem, have you tried any other DAW's? Cubase is the way to go....Reaper to me looks like how Cubase looked 15 years ago, and more buggy!

Also, check your Windows power settings. Newer versions of windows seem to want to enforce power saving options on you, you always want this to be Max Performance mode. How many USB devices are you trying to use? If you try and use USB hard drives at the same time as a USB audio interface that would cause big issues. Other obvious things like trying another USB cable, different USB port etc?

Good thread here on some diganostic tools to get audio running for reaper. This looks like to much work to me!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30896

Just out of interest, what is your latency set at? I always needed at least 12ms with USB!