aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music Fantasy Football League 2013/14

Woodsinho

• 1 month later...

Ah pubes, seemingly I missed the cut off for week one. We're on the back foot already John, we've got a lot of ground to make up, so we just need to concentrate on our own job and keep getting points on the board. But there's a long way to go and I'm confident that the squad we've got here is good enough to get a few decent results and then hopefully we can put a bit of a run together. I think people will look at our league position and perhaps underestimate us, but this is never an easy place for other teams to come, and if we win our home games and we can nick a few points on the road I think we may surprise a few people come May.

I got to keep my points, even though I missed the cut-off. Yay me. I'm 6th.

Question - has anyone ever attempted setting up a team with just two killer strikers, 2 killer midfielders and then a bunch of nobodies that aren't even going to make the bench? I'm tempted to set up an alt. just to test it out. 

I got to keep my points, even though I missed the cut-off. Yay me. I'm 6th.

Question - has anyone ever attempted setting up a team with just two killer strikers, 2 killer midfielders and then a bunch of nobodies that aren't even going to make the bench? I'm tempted to set up an alt. just to test it out. 

With the new bonus points system, I think it'd be a dangerous game to rely on just 4 key players. The new bonus system has seen defenders receive a number of extra points already, and with the way many modern teams utilise attacking full-backs and maximise set-pieces, good decisions when selecting your defenders will reap huge rewards over the course of a season.

Should you create an alt and attempt your theory, though, I'd be interested in the results.

With the new bonus points system, I think it'd be a dangerous game to rely on just 4 key players. The new bonus system has seen defenders receive a number of extra points already, and with the way many modern teams utilise attacking full-backs and maximise set-pieces, good decisions when selecting your defenders will reap huge rewards over the course of a season.

Should you create an alt and attempt your theory, though, I'd be interested in the results.

I did. They're currently 2 weeks behind on points and languishing in last place. I found that if I bought the cheapest defenders and keepers I could actually get 3 decent midfielders as well as 2 great strikers. I think this is a better team than my actual team.

9630511928_c500c70b3e_o.png

Mata :picard:

I used my first wildcard already, this week in fact. Totally happy with my team now.

I have a good core of defenders that will get clean sheets, which is important (Terry, Ivanovic, Toure) two that will perhaps offer more going forward (Coleman, Whittaker), two 'keepers that will score points dependent on the match (Mignolet, McGregor), a mixture of midfielders that will play every week/are cheap/promising (Shelvey, Barkley, Brady) and two that will score goals (Nolan, Lampard) and RvP, Benteke and Sturridge upfront. Goals galore!

What is the new bonus system? Is it based on performance or something?

I'm not feeling confident at all about this week. I was heavy on the villa/chelsea players and I don't want to play my wildcard so i'm stuck with a bunch of no-pointers. Those who are playing are doing so against each other so i'm hoping for 6-5s with a lot of defenders scoring.

What is the new bonus system? Is it based on performance or something?

Essentially, yes, from what I understand. The new rules don't have very transparent parameters, but from what I gather, the top three performers on every team earn bonus points, and due to the high number of low scoring games so far, it has seen defenders earn bonus points for aggregated interceptions, tackles, clearances and the like. It doesn't seem like it's possible to get an itemised breakdown of a player's points for any one week, which I think would be useful; you could then make transfer selections based on statistics and how teams play. But I may just be missing something there.

How they choose the top three performers from each team is quite cloudy too, but I have admittedly only indulged in cursory reading so far. I'll need to swot up.

I'm happy with my team so far; I have only made two transfers and my strikers have been decent, aside from Dzeko this week - I could have creamed the league this week had I chosen my captain more judiciously; Dzeko was a poor choice. Sturridge, Coleman, and Zabaleta have been my star performers so far, and I expect Walcott and Mirallas to start point earning soon.

I fucking love fitba.

Edited by Eupraxia
  • Upvote 1

Captain Zabaleta did me proud this week as did throwing Yaya Toure into my midfield in place of the knacked Aaron Lennon. 66 points and I've bounced up to 3rd from 8th. Heck yes.

There's a thing in http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules that explains the bonus point system towards the bottom of the Scoring section within the Rules. Also - if you go to the statistics page you can see which players have the highest bonus point system overall scores which is a neat little feature.

• 2 weeks later...

For once im pretty happy with my team. I played my wildcard, replaced almost everyone and brought in some solid bets. Somehow I have RVP, giroud and soldado up front, hazard and walcott in midfield and even my low priced fodder is capable of getting points (marc wilson listed as a defender but playing in midfield for example.

• 2 weeks later...