aberdeen-music

What are you currently listening to?

Ach, Mumford and Sons are one of those bands that just aren't on my radar personally but are essentially harmless. Just seem like posh boys scruffing it up a bit. There is no point moaning about people listening to them rather than 'real' folk music, it is a take on folk styled music designed to have mass appeal and a lot of folk who listen to them probably only ever buy what they can get in the Asda music section (which isn't always a bad thing, I have bought the latest Queens of the Stone Age, Goldfrapp and Black Sabbath albums there) and would find 'real' folk music unlistenable. Kind of like when I worked offshore with a guy who claimed to be into country music but was aghast when I played Johnny Cash 'Live at San Quentin'. His take on country music was fucking 'Crocodile Shoes'.

The best you can ever hope for is that people listen to them and then become interested in where that style of music originates....but the few Mumford songs I have heard, I cant say 'sad' was the first adjective that sprung to mind.

• Upvote 1

Isn't dissing M&S for not being "real folk" like saying that all ska punk is shit because it's not "real ska"...? M&S are folk/pop. Pop music, with a folk twist. Like pop/punk isn't REAL PUNXxX. And folk/punk is neither, but both.

Horses for courses. I like Mumford and Sons, personally. I think they're good at what they do, hook-laden pop music. The folky twist just makes them a little different from the majority of pop music that's on the go just now.

xx

Isn't dissing M&S for not being "real folk" like saying that all ska punk is shit because it's not "real ska"...? M&S are folk/pop. Pop music, with a folk twist. Like pop/punk isn't REAL PUNXxX. And folk/punk is neither, but both.

Horses for courses. I like Mumford and Sons, personally. I think they're good at what they do, hook-laden pop music. The folky twist just makes them a little different from the majority of pop music that's on the go just now.

xx

Bosstones are REAL SKA cos of Trombones!

Mumford and sons are a bit meh to me, but then Ewan McColl and Bert Jansch are a bit meh to me too. The whole folk thing really, buy some amps and stop wearing silly flat caps lads.

This month I have been listening to Listener, Min Diesel/Pinact, The Dead Meadows and Amon Amarth.  

Bosstones are REAL SKA cos of Trombones!

Mumford and sons are a bit meh to me, but then Ewan McColl and Bert Jansch are a bit meh to me too. The whole folk thing really, buy some amps and stop wearing silly flat caps lads.

This month I have been listening to Listener, Min Diesel/Pinact, The Dead Meadows and Amon Amarth.  

Listener are fucking boss, good choice!

I totally get why someone wouldn't see the appeal in M&S - subjective etc - but to say you don't like them because they don't fit their genre pigeonhole is an odd concept to me. It's the kind of think I said when I was 14...

xx

Listener are fucking boss, good choice!

I totally get why someone wouldn't see the appeal in M&S - subjective etc - but to say you don't like them because they don't fit their genre pigeonhole is an odd concept to me. It's the kind of think I said when I was 14...

xx

Most people like inoffensive music, in order to make money most bands have to rock inoffensively. Loads of good bands have deliberately chosen to be bland in order to get famous/make money.

There's nothing wrong with it - but it's not art. It's McDonalds. 

The one about the Lion is ok though - and the singer says fucked, which is totes punx and well dangerous!!

Well said. Music snobbery is the worst thing in the world, anyone is allowed to like anything. You dont have to try and be the best at liking music.

Im not a huge M&S fan, but they did play a cracking set at T and they do have a strange aura about them on stage, id definitely go watch them again if the chance came up. The first single they released is a blinder as well, still a top fav song of mine. 

So what if people want their music to be inoffensive? Is that how music is supposed to be judged by how offensive it is? What does offensive even mean when it comes to music? Music is not worth less or any less art just because you don't like it.  

I never said it was a good or bad thing. It's just how it is - Bruce Willis no longer says Yippee-Kay-Aye-Motherfucker in Die Hard, because PG films make more money. Snow Patrol stopped making lovely fuzzed up shoegazey songs that only a few people bought and started writing bland ballads because a lot of people bought Run and they finally made a living making music.

Anyone deliberately stifling their creative urges to make something formulaic that will sell is in marketing not art. Nothing to do with what I like or don't like.

There's a lot of great pop music out there written by people that genuinely love pop music and make great tunes, and I love a lot of it - but there's a lot of shite that gets made just because people will buy it.

Also offensive isn't necessarily the opposite of inoffensive.All I meant was that as a whole, people seem to prefer music that is familiar and doesn't challenge them to listen - which is why cover versions are more popular than new music in terms of sales.

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

I never said it was a good or bad thing. It's just how it is - Bruce Willis no longer says Yippee-Kay-Aye-Motherfucker in Die Hard, because PG films make more money. Snow Patrol stopped making lovely fuzzed up shoegazey songs that only a few people bought and started writing bland ballads because a lot of people bought Run and they finally made a living making music.

Anyone deliberately stifling their creative urges to make something formulaic that will sell is in marketing not art. Nothing to do with what I like or don't like.

There's a lot of great pop music out there written by people that genuinely love pop music and make great tunes, and I love a lot of it - but there's a lot of shite that gets made just because people will buy it.

Also offensive isn't necessarily the opposite of inoffensive.All I meant was that as a whole, people seem to prefer music that is familiar and doesn't challenge them to listen - which is why cover versions are more popular than new music in terms of sales.

OK I can see what you;re saying to an extent, but how do you judge whether someone is writing something because that's what they want to do or just because they want money. Who's to say Snow Patrol wouldn't have gone in that direction anyway whether or not they did find success. You say they wrote bland ballads because people bought run, but they wrote run in the first place which to me at least is a bland ballad. It just doesn't really seem worth the effort thinking about, people will like it or they wont, what it sounds like is a lot more important than why it was made.

And do you have any evidence that cover versions sell more than originals? 

So are Mumford and Suns deliberately being un-creative to make money? Or are they making music they want to, enjoy making, and are clearly comfortable making? 

I dont think their "art" is of any less value than that of Nirvana or Pink Floyd, its just a different form. 

Dunno - I wasn't specifically referring to them after the comment about the Lion song. I moved on to my opinion of bland music in general.

OK I can see what you;re saying to an extent, but how do you judge whether someone is writing something because that's what they want to do or just because they want money. Who's to say Snow Patrol wouldn't have gone in that direction anyway whether or not they did find success. You say they wrote bland ballads because people bought run, but they wrote run in the first place which to me at least is a bland ballad. It just doesn't really seem worth the effort thinking about, people will like it or they wont, what it sounds like is a lot more important than why it was made.

And do you have any evidence that cover versions sell more than originals? 

Again dunno - the third album had a few noisier tunes as well as Run - but they definitely went with the big selling single for the next few albums. Maybe that's the way they were headed, but given their body of work up to then - and the side projects they've been involved in it's a bit of a stretch.

I haven't looked any figures up for sales but I reckon that the amount of cover versions in the charts in the last few years - partly due to X-Factor type shows and partly to do with chart dance music recycling older tunes - must be pretty big money spinners.

Dunno - I wasn't specifically referring to them after the comment about the Lion song. I moved on to my opinion of bland music in general.

Again dunno - the third album had a few noisier tunes as well as Run - but they definitely went with the big selling single for the next few albums. Maybe that's the way they were headed, but given their body of work up to then - and the side projects they've been involved in it's a bit of a stretch.

I haven't looked any figures up for sales but I reckon that the amount of cover versions in the charts in the last few years - partly due to X-Factor type shows and partly to do with chart dance music recycling older tunes - must be pretty big money spinners.

Ah fair enough, sorry!! :)

In regards to Snow Patrol, its hard to say, did they write Run to make it big, or did they make it big because of Run? Was that the natural progression for the band, or a conscious effort to stay in the charts? There really is only one group who can answer, but id agree to an extent, that song changed their overall style, be it intentional or not. 

Back on the thread's main topic I've been listening to The Libertines a bit the last couple of days, first time in ages. The debut is a belter and the second one decent too. Also been listening to a lot of Girls Aloud (forgot how good Out of Control is) and The Field. Plus the new Sky Ferreira and Charlixcx singles are still being played numerous times a day.

Main present?

Are we really doing this to this thread? This is a good thread.

My gf gave me a few gifts. I'd probably say that was the main one from her. Got AM by Arctic Monkeys on vinyl from my sister. Only present so that is main present by default. Got cash money from the parents and relatives. Also defaults as a main presents.

Right now i"m listening to Eminem - Berzerk. 

for all i love mumford and i agree with most of your comments but i do think for they are different but i dont think they will last long. they will be like ben howard been on the go for ages made one song famousish and then everyone stops listening. hes one phenomenal guitarist though 

They've already gone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumford_%26_Sons#Hiatus:_2013-present

I'm still listening to 65daysofstatic.