aberdeen-music

What are you currently listening to?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More sunshine soundtracks from this morning's walk through the Somerset countryside:

Black Sabbath debut album.jpg

Opening track is pretty much all Doom ever written.

Image result for converge you fail me redux

I don't care for re-masters normally, but this is spot on. You Fail Me is probably my favourite of theirs, but it did sound a bit thin compared to the albums either side of it. So Ballou just Ballous the hell out of it, so it sounds more Ballou. Yuge.

61trLNvMLsL.jpg

Their last totally emo record, before they went all car-advert rock-band. The vocals sound terrible. So terrible that they're good. Banger. Why did they stop doing the dual-vocal thing? Their last 2 albums might as well be Foo Fighters records. They used to be so good.

Run-The-Jewels-RTJ21.jpg

Took me ages to 'get' RTJ. I didn't get why they were so hyped. Every time I played RTJ1 & 2, I thought "nah. this is weird, and everyone is stupid".

False. I was stupid. One day it just clicked, and I realised RTJ2 might be a Top 10 record of all time. It's just stupid good. STUPID GOOD.

I'd never listened to Justice before, as I often saw their name lumped in with commercial dance music, assuming it was just cookie-cutter nightclub dance pop.

The 1st album, Cross, is nasty as fuck. All chewed up, grimy bass, an auditory headache, but also so damn catchy. 

Also, loads of Har Mar.

He who is tired of Har Mar is tired of life. Definitely in the Top 5 of Greatest Human Beings.

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 1

On 6/24/2017 at 6:58 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I'd never listened to Justice before, as I often saw their name lumped in with commercial dance music, assuming it was just cookie-cutter nightclub dance pop.

The 1st album, Cross, is nasty as fuck. All chewed up, grimy bass, an auditory headache, but also so damn catchy.

Waters of Nazareth is fucking ridiculously dirty.

I went on a Nardwaur interview binge recently, which caused me to look up a lot of old school hip hop. 

BigL-Lifestylez.jpg

Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor And Dangerous

Had never listened to this before. A few absolute bangers. Hip Hop without any pretenses. All about being great at stuff such as making money and getting women, sprinkled with some sincere moments centered around the struggles of the hood.

big_pun_capital_thumb_250x250.jpeg

Big Pun - Capital Punishment 

Revisiting Big Pun. A few bloopers on this but when his verses are good, they're really good. A really cringe-worthy interlude involving 2 minutes of sex noises. Do you still get those?

I recently curated a playlist featuring songs Steve Albini has either recorded; engineered; performed in; or all three. Some of it is pretty; some of it gnarly; most of it is pretty gnarly. I aimed to have no more than one song by any given artist, but Silkworm are so eminently stellar, that I included two of their ditties. I shared this on Facebook, but I thought one or two of you on here may also dig it.

https://play.spotify.com/user/eupraxia80/playlist/0sZk0pzLMXuEhAraCJcfmD?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

• Upvote 2