aberdeen-music

What are you currently listening to?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Did anyone happen to catch the name of the song/artist that concluded Steve Lamacq this evening? I realise it was a remix by one of Noel Gallagher's chummies, but the original's maybe worth a listen.

THE INTERNET tells me that this is the original you're after:

The Leon Russell version just has that pounding thing through it, it's not a remix of a Leon Russell straight cover.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

• 1 month later...

Related image

Chaos Moon - Eschaton Memoire

I haven't listened to anything new and unknown for a while, so this is great. Super heavy epic black metal. I'm mega picky about black metal, it's gotta be just right, and this is just right, as it's got all the riffs to cut up all the trem picks and blast beats.

Image result for astronoid air

Astronoid - Air

The most un-black metal sounding black metal. I can't decide if it's hideous or totally great. Someone in the Bandcamp comments called it 'Dream Thrash', and that's kind of apt, but it does have a lot of black going on, even if it is crazy melodic. I think I need to listen to it another 100 times to decide if it's incredible or horrible.

Also been on a bit of a "Darkwave" kick, whatever the hell that is. These are pretty cool:

megaD.jpg

Mega Drive - 198XAD

Image result for gost behemoth

GosT - Behemoth

Related image

Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley

Image result for vulta sigils

Vulta - Sigils

These all sound like they could have been made by the same person. Maybe they were. I don't really care. Synth pop that is trying to be heavy metal is alright with me.

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Like 1

Yeah, New Model is grand too. You got any more heavy synth stuff you'd recommend? I'm pretty late on the darkwave fad, and I've only really heard whatever Youtube lined up next, and even there it was quite hard to come across full albums rather than 3 hour long mixes.

The more I listen to Astronoid, the more undecided I am on it. It sounds like a Jesu/Dragonforce collaboration, which matches my original description of hideous and totally great.

Igorrr are/is mental. When it's good, it's so good. When it's not, it's just totally stupid. Unfortunately it's only good in quite small doses. The glitchy heavy stuff is awesome, but I'm out when the polka and the flutes come in.

It's like if Mike Patton and Buckethead had an argument about who could write the stupidest songs, and then compiled them together.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

a1683478768_16.jpg

Disasterpeace - Atebite and the Warrning Nations

I don't normally dig chiptune as it all seems a bit too gimmicky, but Disasterpeace is great, and since the majority of his musical output is actual video game soundtracks, it comes across as more authentic. This isn't a video game OST but it's presented as one.

It's basically math-rock, but with bitcrushed synths acting as the guitars. It's great.

His soundtracks for FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter are both awesome too.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, Soda Jerk said:

a1683478768_16.jpg

Disasterpeace - Atebite and the Warrning Nations

I don't normally dig chiptune as it all seems a bit too gimmicky, but Disasterpeace is great, and since the majority of his musical output is actual video game soundtracks, it comes across as more authentic. This isn't a video game OST but it's presented as one.

It's basically math-rock, but with bitcrushed synths acting as the guitars. It's great.

His soundtracks for FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter are both awesome too.

This is a tough listen. It's like regular music plotted in a midi program. I'd much rather listen to the original (that doesn't exist) but it has some good moments. Some of the more droney buzzing bits are nice. Don't think I could listen to many full albums of chiptune stuff.

2 hours ago, ca_gere said:

This is a tough listen. It's like regular music plotted in a midi program. I'd much rather listen to the original (that doesn't exist) but it has some good moments. Some of the more droney buzzing bits are nice. Don't think I could listen to many full albums of chiptune stuff.

I certainly can't either, usually. I've heard a lot of chiptune stuff and it just sounds either gimmicky or awful. I don't know why Disasterpeace is different for me, but it doesn't seem as forced as most stuff I've heard. His body of work is very varied, the HLD soundtrack is much more droney and less midi-band, with lots of piano going on too. Guys got chops.

6 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

I certainly can't either, usually. I've heard a lot of chiptune stuff and it just sounds either gimmicky or awful. I don't know why Disasterpeace is different for me, but it doesn't seem as forced as most stuff I've heard. His body of work is very varied, the HLD soundtrack is much more droney and less midi-band, with lots of piano going on too. Guys got chops.

Compositionally (is that a word?) it's pretty fantastic. I just wish there were more instruments.

This album on repeat for the last month. I've decided it's my favourite record ever - something i've never really thought about before to be honest, but yeah this is my favourite now after an extended reappraisal. I'm gonna have to get a copy that is better quality than what's on Spotify. This track is like the 6th best on it too.