aberdeen-music

Best cover version ever!

Mr.Mike

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the residents-third reich and roll (2 track album each track being an extremely bizzare medleys of commercial 60's music played incorrectly and with weird rythms and sounds)

but others i deem great as of the momment

screaming monkey boner-tetris

wild bill shatner-common people+lucy in the sky with diamonds

captain beefheart-same old blues

johnny cash-the mercy seat

yeah they do ok' date=' there are much better wire songs to cover though

i haven't heard it in the sequence of the album but i imagine it would flow quite nicely into "emerge"[/quote']

haha the album thats still over a tenner in shops havent heard it i refuse to pay that much for electrotrash

when will music stores learn that the electronica section collects dust because they rarely have a cd priced 10 or less

Greg Machpherson's take on The Clash's "Bankrobber" is great. One chord, and one amazing voice...

Download it here http://www.g7welcomingcommittee.net/mp3/bankrobber.mp3

Dunno if anyone mentioned it, but Joe Cocker's take on The Beatles "Little help from my friends" is legendary.... Dag Nasty do an awesome cover of "Staring at the rude boy" (The Ruts) on their Field Day LP, which kills the Ruts..and thats hard to do! Minor Threat's take on 12XU became a legendary hardcore anthem...the punks of the 70s who thought the original was fast would shit their pants :D Although maybe not a cover per se, as a rework of a traditional classic, but Thin Lizzies take on Whisky in the Jar makes one of the most unlistenable songs ever slightly more listenable (fuck Metallica's cover). Neurosis cover of Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing is brutal as hell, while losing none of the original power/style.

Worst covers include Rob Zombie - Blitzkrieg Bop, Metallica - So What, Any fucking metal band covering old punk songs, like that Anarchy in the UK cover who ever that fucking was.....

Morrissey - No One Can Hold A Candle To You

Guns N' Roses - Sympathy For The Devil

Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die

Guns N' Roses - Down On The Farm

Velvet Revolver - It's So Easy (ho ho ho)

Manic Street Preachers - Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H*)

Faith No More - Midnight Cowboy

The Clash - Pressure Drop

A Perfect Circle - Lovesong

To whomever had the nerve to have said Dylan's version of 'All Along the Watchtower' "sucks", you've got a lot to learn. No one does Dylan better than Dylan. I respect personal opinion, but it seems to have been founded out of ignorance more than anything else.

Personally, I think that M. Ward's version of 'Let's Dance' by David Bowie is the best cover I've ever heard. I doubt Bowie himself realised that the song could sound so delicate and achingly beautiful. I would recommend downloading the song to hear for yourself.

No one does Dylan better than Dylan.

don't forget that dylan was so impressed by hendrixa arrangement of watchtower that he changed the version he played live himself to echo jimi's. there's no denying that dylan has some skills but i think in this case he realised that the interpretation was superior. there's no shame in that.

spoons

/x

There's definitely a case to be made for certain Dylan covers surpassing the originals. Songs like "The Mighty Quinn" and "This Wheel's On Fire" were quite rough and stripped back in their original form' date=' and they were crying out for re-interpretation. Elvis Presley's version of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" takes the song to a different level as well, and Dylan himself said it was his personal favourite cover of one of his songs.

Of course, songs with the "rinds, seeds and pulp left in", as Tom Waits described The Basement Tapes, can also be great fun to listen to. It all depends on where the mood takes you, I guess.[/quote']

And who could forget Brian Ferry doing "A Hard Rains A Gonna Fall"??

Considering all the obvious covers have been mentioned I will choose the following:

Pavement- The Killing Moon (Echo and The Bunnymen)

Cat Power- We Dance (Pavement)

Burning Sensations- Pablo Picasso (Modern Lovers)

Jesus and Mary Chain- Mushroom (Can)

Jeff Buckley- The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (The Smiths)

Led Zeppelin - I Can't Quit You Baby. Black Water Side, When The Levee Breaks, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Babe I'm Gonna Leave, I can't Quit You Babe, You Shook Me etc etc

Beatles - Money, Twist & Shout

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help Form My Friends

Black Crowes - Hard To Handle

Elbow - Independent Woman

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

David Bowie - It Ain't Easy

This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren

Jeff Buckey - Hallelujah, Liliac Wine

Run DMC - Walk This Way

Aretha Franklin - Respect

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower & Hey Joe

Soft Cell - Tainted Love