aberdeen-music

Breaking Bad final episodes (contains spoilers)

kirsten

Yeah at this point Walt is meant to be the villain, that's the whole concept of the show. I heard an interview with Vince Gilligan where he said he has no sympathy for Walt anymore, and it's taken them by surprise that viewers still root for him.

I was just about to mention that. Even the creator dislikes Walt. But I don't know, I still root for him. I want his plans to succeed.

Hmm, what about Lydia?  She scares the shit out of me...  no way she's just going to just complain her way to the end of the series.

Also, I think writing off Skyler as a bit of a stick in the mud is a bit unfair.  She's hardly sat weeping in the corner all the time.  Breaking Bad will hardly be remembered as a feminist masterpiece, but it is what it is I suppose.

Hmm, what about Lydia?  She scares the shit out of me...  no way she's just going to just complain her way to the end of the series.

Also, I think writing off Skyler as a bit of a stick in the mud is a bit unfair.  She's hardly sat weeping in the corner all the time.  Breaking Bad will hardly be remembered as a feminist masterpiece, but it is what it is I suppose.

I don't really agree with it entirely either, I posted it since it seemed relevant to the discussion about Skylar. Plus I found all the references to the holy trinity of television a bit silly.

Well that would be the AMC trinity I guess. The trinity named in the Guardian article is The Wire, The Sopranos and Mad Men. She suggests that Breaking Bad doesn't get a place because of its lack of strong female of the species characters.

Fwiw I think she makes the 3 right choices but they should be joined by Deadwood and Twin Peaks in whatever five holy things would be called.

Huh, that's quite disappointing that he invokes the people suffering at street level.  You don't really see a lot of meth heads on the programme... the only real damaged users I can remember are that family with the little kid way way back, and I think that was when Walt still had a bit of desperation to his situation.  Likewise, I thought the somewhat jolly blue meth and the often kinda jaunty music soundtracking Walt and Jesse cooking the stuff were devices to distract the viewer from the fact that it's really such a bad product.

The whole point of Skylar's character (and part of what makes the show so great) is that despite it being this crazy eventful show where people cook meth, kill people, blow things up, etc... it's still very much set in the real world. Sure some of the characters are over the top and there's an element of fantasy to it, but we're not supposed to believe this is some alternate universe where anything goes. Skylar acts like you could imagine a real-life middle class suburban wife acting as she gets caught up in this inconceivably weird situation. She's as much a 'bitch' as Walter is a 'crazy cunt'.

skylar hated walt doing what he did - took the kids/moved out etc, but as soon as he was "out" she agreed to a second honeymoon paid for with blood money.

that is why i hate her. 

Was reading some stuff online, some great theories.

The door that's on the floor as Walt walks in to the house, he looks at it and looks like he remembers something. So hopefully we get to see what goes down with that.

Also, a great thing about the hank/walt relationship. When it started Walt was the "weaker" man, and Hank was the big bad ass. When both were faced with extreme danger, that completely changed. Walt left behind a quiet, normal life involved chemistry (teaching) to get deeper in to the danger. Hank, after being hospitalised, left the dangerous work and went to something quiet, and pretty 'boring' (minerals). Nice connection there.

Also some great imagery when Lydia walks in to the carwash, Walt completely blanks her and acts normal, as if he has no idea what she's on about. This is the exact same tactic Gus would use when Walt went in to Los Pollos Hermanos all flustered.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING WHISPERING!!!

I was watching it in bed and had the volume turned all the way up, and still couldn't hear a word when Walt was lying on the bathroom floor. Had to take the laptop through to our living room where the speakers are, rewind to that bit, watch it then return to bed. Dammit Walt!

In other news: Oh Jesse... :(

I'd say it was just as good. The opening with the money and Jesse was cool. The scenes with Hank & Skylar and Marie & Skylar were done excellently. Todd's reappearance with Lydia was great too. 

The episode was always going to be about the family's reaction to Hank's discovery and I don't think they could have done it much better.

• Upvote 1