aberdeen-music

Neck Surgery (Don't look Soda Jerk)

Lemonade

On a guitar, not me.

One of my axes has been stored away for a few weeks. When I took it out today the the neck is all sorts of warped. Like, seriously off. I don't know if it's just temperature related or if it's had some sort of accident, but up by fret 12 they're like a centimetre off and it gets worse the further down you go. It seems way beyond a simple truss-rod tweak, but I thought I'd ask before I go hacking at it since I admittedly don't know much about guitar repair. Can I fix this with the truss rod or is it new neck time?

9480990504_ca344932fe_c.jpg

Yikes. Is that the lovely Jet King?

Have you travelled with your guitar by plane, by any chance? I've heard that can effect the tension of the neck/strings, and it is advised to slacken the strings when travelling by air with a guitar.

I would imagine a proper set up would sort it. Unless the neck is bent beyond repair, but that does seem a little drastic. I would advise taking the strings off until you do get it fixed, incase it continues to bend it. I have a Ltd Viper which had terrible neck tension, so the strings were just bending it like a banana which looked similar to the severity of your guitar there, but a set up sorted it. I don't know much about truss rod adjustments though.

Yikes. Is that the lovely Jet King?

Have you travelled with your guitar by plane, by any chance? I've heard that can effect the tension of the neck/strings, and it is advised to slacken the strings when travelling by air with a guitar.

I would imagine a proper set up would sort it. Unless the neck is bent beyond repair, but that does seem a little drastic. I would advise taking the strings off until you do get it fixed, incase it continues to bend it. I have a Ltd Viper which had terrible neck tension, so the strings were just bending it like a banana which looked similar to the severity of your guitar there, but a set up sorted it. I don't know much about truss rod adjustments though.

I haven't flown with it. Fuck knows what happened. I had it out jamming with it a few weeks ago and it was fine. Put it away, brought it back out today and it's completely wrecked. I've never had any neck or tension issues with it before. It seems so weird that it would just start all of a sudden and so drastically. That's why I think it may have taken a knock or something.

EDIT - In fact come to think of it, my flatmate knocked it over a few weeks ago, on a wooden floor. That's why I put it away. I bet that's broken something.

Well I found the problem. When adjusting the truss rod didn't seem to make any difference I realised that it's because the fucking neck is hanging off! I took the tension out of the strings and tightened the screws, but the thread is gone, they just slip and don't fully tighten. It must have taken a mighty whack on the neck and jolted loose. As soon as I tuned up, the neck went again. Mystery solved. Hopefully I can fix this with just some bigger screws and some filler....

9481260062_33fff17541_c.jpg

Hopefully! Getting a new neck for that would be pretty difficult. I remember looking into it, as I didn't quite like the neck on it, but the neck pocket is weird! I think you'd have to find someone willing to dismantle their own Jet King, or have one custom made, which might cost mad cheddar stacks, yo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strat-Electric-Guitar-Neck-Bolt-Upgrade-Repair-Kit-Thin-Body-DIY-Sustain-Project-/171045246235?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27d317551b

I used these bad boys to sort the neck on my bass after it received a body slam on to the lemon tree stage.  It broke in the same way, the neck screws just ripped the threads out.  I tried a repair first by filling the holes with strips if wood, gluing that in then redrilled the holes but it wasn't solid.  You could feel the neck more by a fraction of a mm if you moved the bass.  Maybe I never used solid enough wood as Neephied's pointed out matches are too soft. 

These have totally fixed the problem though and were reasonably easy to fix, even for me with my measure once and cut twice work methods.  Just follow the instructions to the letter and you can't go wrong.

Also also, just remembered I did also need new screws for the original repair as the ones closest to the neck had bent.  Worth checking all the screws are ok. 

Edited by Cabbage