aberdeen-music

amp repair

Guest Young Adolesent

Guest Young Adolesent

My vox is dieing it sounds like a power issue or input. When i play my guitar through it. You can not hear it well this is a 100watt amp turned full and its still unclear and quiet. When i strum hard to get more volume it comes out distorted and basiclly shit. The first imput is completely dead and the others are going that way. Anyone in aberdeen know how to fix this? I know dennis marshall but if i take it to him it might just be cheaper getting a new amp so id prefer if someone up here could take a look at it. Its a vox q series gt100

Guest Young Adolesent

1. Im really not wanting to travel because id end up bieng cheaper with a new amp.

2. Ive tried alan morrison no awnser

3. Im preferably looking for someone on here eho knows a thing or two about amps first to diagnose the problem with that amp. There for the old thread is useless

Guest Young Adolesent

classaxe in the market it was something to do with the capacitor next to the power supply bieng replaced

Edited by Young Adolesent

Guest Young Adolesent

erm no they fix it in shop....i'm not sure because ill be down in Glasgow for a few day in October but hes not in Glasgow and i'm there for like 2 days for Christmas shopping plus i want the check out guitar guitars new acoustic shop  :dunce:  but im needing my amp fixed quikish really it might just need cleaned and the inputs replaced

Theres a few guys around here go down to see him with their amps so maybe they could take it for you. I will be down there maybe in october time so can easily drop it off for you if needed. He is going to be working on an amp of mine that could take a few months.

By the way am not saying classaxe are overcharging you. I don't know the circumstances but if that was just a straightforward cap replacement then Dennis would have that drained, stripped and replaced within 10 mins

Guest Young Adolesent

id rather i knew what i was dealing with first and trust me its an 80's vox it weighs a absolute ton so not that i dont trust you but id rather you never had the burden of carrying with you.

im not sure if it is over or undercharged because im not an amp person i could barely clean the pots haha. its a good shop though the sale rigt now is pretty good, plus its a bonus they do all repairs in shop while you wait on their sofa  :up:  the only thing is. i couldnt tell dennis whats wrong with it over the phone he would have to look at it instead of a buffoon like me telling him the ins and outs of the amp. 

You put contact cleaner in the input loon ;-)

Speaker connections. Make sure they are securely in and give them a clean. Its its distorting and sounding like shit you may have blown the speaker.

Don't open your amp and go in there if you don't know what your doing. Even when its off those filter caps hold lethal voltage and you don't even have to touch them to get a nasty jolt. Filter caps need to be drained to safely work in an amp.

Guest Young Adolesent

ok thank you, i really hope it isnt a blown speaker ill cry i just got this amp like 2 weeks ago. some how when it comes to being electrocuted turns out im really lucky the amount of times i should have been blown off my feet but im fine .  where do i get contact cleaner?

Just a quick mention, do not use contact cleaner on pots. It dries them out and fucks them. 

Im with Cabbage on this one. 

If you could do one little thing for me. Fire up the amp and when the volume starts to fade as you describe, give the amp a good hit with your hand. Its ghetto I know but its a revealing test. Does the volume shoot up? Report back with findings.

Edited by Preid

Guest Young Adolesent

Just a quick mention, do not use contact cleaner on pots. It dries them out and fucks them. 

Im with Cabbage on this one. 

If you could do one little thing for me. Fire up the amp and when the volume starts to fade as you describe, give the amp a good hit with your hand. Its ghetto I know but its a revealing test. Does the volume shoot up? Report back with findings.

ok i wont use it on pots. and the amp is very fragile tbh hitting it might make it worse

thanks thats a lot to take in, i believe it does have a headphones input but i only have earphones and i dont have an adapter and i cant borrow my neighbours one as hes on holiday i guess it calls for a visit to colour box :( i mainly suspect dirty parts mainly the inputs or it could be dodgy connectors in the inputs?

with the electrical side its a joke it just turns out ive made careless mistakes with my kit like pluggings things into things that cant handle that kind of power and could blow up and electrocute me, my only main problem with electrocution was with my vox vt40 which i had ages ago when i kept getting electrocuted by the plug

ive got an output but what do i do with that? also explain the bit about the line level. how do i connect to another amp, i did it with my old fender amp and my carlsbro but witht he vox its different  cant remember which part goes to what. ill go much about with dials and that and tell you what happens

You can get an adaptor jack for the different sized headphone jacks while your in Maplins picking up contact cleaner.  

If you're not sure on line level signals and the function of the other outputs I'd recommend you don't plug anything into it and seek further info on the amp.

Guest Young Adolesent

Ill just go to colour box and see if they sell either of the items.

The amp id prefer if someone local would have a look at as i know nothing on amps its something ive never had intrest in. Untill they break. Wish i never gave my mate my old h/h amp. I guess i have a thing for 80s amps

Guest Young Adolesent

Ok with toying around with it. It sounds like a broken speaker. All dials crackle reverb sounds balls when i plug my multi fx into it the onlything that soundz good is a tubescreamer with a big driver pedal. Ive got a spare 12" 8ohm speaker that could go in it from my carlsbro which is a brilliant speaker. But any speaker suggestions? And how much would someone charge to fit it in any ideas

Sorry to all enquiries but my computer sustem crashed last thursday so no posts or repies were actioned -we do not seem to have had any calls on our answering machine or mobile so apologies to all prospective customers -we offer a quick competitive turn round for all amps ,keyboards ,synths and associated equipment

Keyboard Services Scotland  01224 -744585 or 07702 996871

If you want to speak to us call early morning 8.30 am to 10 am or evening 8.30pm to 11 pm I am usually in then .