aberdeen-music

I don't know why I'm bothering, but...

I dont think anyone on here has ever dismissed what Tom has done as being "at dunce pish" but people were not overly excited about it, unless your really into that particular genre you were never going to be interested. I quite like a bit of dance music, but i couldnt listen to more than a minute of it without getting bored, and thats not a critique at all of his music, its just not my thing, it would seem many others on here felt the same.

I did ask him to explain "local bands of zero cultural significance" earlier in the thread, since he is gone (for now) i guess ill have to assume he ment that the music he makes is somehow more significant than the music others make in modern culture, which is probably the biggest load of shit ive read this year, even if the internet did shut down in hysteria last time he released something.

To be fair, I can kind of see why he was so annoyed. He does do a lot for music in aberdeen, or, as some people say, Aberdeen music. So when there's a website so dedicated to Aberdeen music it's named after it, and only a very small amount of people give a slight shit about what he was doing, you can see why he went out in such a blaze of fury.

To be fair, I can kind of see why he was so annoyed. He does do a lot for music in aberdeen, or, as some people say, Aberdeen music. So when there's a website so dedicated to Aberdeen music it's named after it, and only a very small amount of people give a slight shit about what he was doing, you can see why he went out in such a blaze of fury.

I disagree completely.

Does he? What is he doing for the music scene here?

He seemed a bit miffed that other people didn't recognise the importance of some of the websites who have started covering his work. But it's not really surprising that people aren't aware of resident advisor for example if they don't like the kind of music it covers. I generally liked his music, in particular the Please Loackah Don't Hurt Em EP. It's bloody ace.

He seemed a bit miffed that other people didn't recognise the importance of some of the websites who have started covering his work. But it's not really surprising that people aren't aware of resident advisor for example if they don't like the kind of music it covers. I generally liked his music, in particular the Please Loackah Don't Hurt Em EP. It's bloody ace.

I thought his music was fantastic, as was quite a lot of stuff on Tuff Wax. And through him I found Donky Pitch and found music I enjoy there too. Have everything he's made. I keep forgetting to buy physical stuff. I swear I'll do it this month and put a note in the paypal payment saying "pls come back to ab-mus".

I thought his music was fantastic, as was quite a lot of stuff on Tuff Wax. And through him I found Donky Pitch and found music I enjoy there too. Have everything he's made. I keep forgetting to buy physical stuff. I swear I'll do it this month and put a note in the paypal payment saying "pls come back to ab-mus".

I don't recall you posting much in his threads about his material? Maybe you should take heed of this video:

Not every thread he made. But I did post a few times in the main Tuff Wax thread. Also when Neil gave him in trouble for cross posting.

I've also posted in Black Lake thread, Needleman, Start Today, Grader. If more bands I liked came here I'd give more feedback. There's no point in me saying "I don't like this music". That isn't helping anyone. 

Also, there's a feedback thread that you've actually turned in to a backslapping affair by making fun of the alleged backslapping. Yeah, some of what he said was outlandish and arrogant, but by doing this, aren't you proving some of his points?

Repped now - PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THE FORUM.........

Look at this insider backslapping dick sucking nonsense!! I'm out!

xx

Its like we all know each other and just because of that we like giving each other feedback, i mean what a load of shite. 

That's the right decision. All this 90's rock is killing modern culture. The modern culture we KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Goddamn rock music.

Guitars have ruined music and music has ruined this forum.

xx

I don't come to a music forum to hear people discussing the g word. We should probably get back on topic before Neil burns down our homes.

Guest Giles Walker

I'm not sure anyone waded in and said "fits at dance music pish?..." though, it was more a case of the forum taking very little notice because of the way it was presented, kinda of with an air of "worship at the alter of PHAT-TOM simple guitar wielding dullards!!!". It's amazing how much someone who's musical background is chiefly a pop-punk-rock band can be so dismissive of guitar orientated music entirely.

I agree this forum is very "guitar" music heavy but I would kind of expect that as the norm on a generic "music" forum. That doesn't mean that the people on it are only interested in that of course, the breadth and depth of music appreciation on this site is quite impressive. If anything that's one area that the forum has improved upon in the past few years. I doubt that many of us were talking about pop or dance music full stop 10 years ago on here, I know I wasn't.

Without wanting to start any kind of argument, i would slightly disagree with your first point. Loads of posts, including the posts about the Pendulum event and even the posts about my event with James Blake suggest that a lot of the people on here simply do not understand dance music at all. 

And that is fine, but as someone who is very much into dance music it is annoying when you see people angrily throwing around their ignorant opinion about something that they even admit they have no interest in.

I was similarly annoyed when i was at a random party with some hardhouse/hardstyle loving guys and they responded to any guitar music being played on their karaoke machine with "Fit's this Simon and Dinkledonk pish? Get this shite aff and put on something bangin!" Especially as they repeated the line verbatim around 20 to 30 times during my short stay. 

For the record, i am not a pendulum fan. 

Edited by Giles Walker

Without wanting to start any kind of argument, i would slightly disagree with your first point. Loads of posts, including the posts about the Pendulum event and even the posts about my event with James Blake suggest that a lot of the people on here simply do not understand dance music at all. 

And that is fine, but as someone who is very much into dance music it is annoying when you see people angrily throwing around their ignorant opinion about something that they even admit they have no interest in.

I was similarly annoyed when i was at a random party with some hardhouse/hardstyle loving guys and they responded to any guitar music being played on their karaoke machine with "Fit's this Simon and Dinkledonk pish? Get this shite aff and put on something bangin!" Especially as they repeated the line verbatim around 20 to 30 times during my short stay. 

What posts/events were they?

I'm not sure I "understand" "dance" music. I enjoy listening to Disclosure and some stuff like that (from what little I know I guess that falls into "house" music more than dance, but as I said I'm no expert). However, It's not necessary to "understand" music to like and appreciate it.

For the record, I'm not a Pendulum fan either, they remind me how much I don't like the Prodigy.

Also, there's a feedback thread that you've actually turned in to a backslapping affair by making fun of the alleged backslapping. Yeah, some of what he said was outlandish and arrogant, but by doing this, aren't you proving some of his points?

I don't think so. People are just mocking his blatantly deliberate "everyone pay attention to me leaving the forum in a huff" exit. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure Tom was just taking the piss by trolling everybody, so people are reacting by also taking the piss.

I don't think so. People are just mocking his blatantly deliberate "everyone pay attention to me leaving the forum in a huff" exit. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure Tom was just taking the piss by trolling everybody, so people are reacting by also taking the piss.

I get that you guys are taking the piss, I've been on both ends of this sort of thing many times. But it just made me go "eh", after completely disagreeing with him accusing you all of backslapping, you then go on to backslap.

Note that after a brief piss take that thread went back to talking about the music.

Also, anyone that leaves a forum with a post that sounds like Jack Black in School of Rock deserves to get their "epic ass" handed to them. In the form of childish comments that they can't read....

• Upvote 1

To be fair in the James Blake thread, it wasnt so much someone not understanding dance music, as they were not understanding what you were promoting, you just got a bit stroppy with nef c if i remember right.

The thing is, Toms post earlier seemed to suggest he was writing off all guitar bands based in Aberdeen, which is exactly what your saying, for a forum of people in guitar bands, its annoying to be told you have "zero cultural significance" from someone who has no interest in the music, so both sides can be as bad as another. There certainly is not any kind of anti dance music stance on here, infact one of the most active feedback threads is the one of people making their own electro productions!