aberdeen-music

I don't know why I'm bothering, but...

The OTT Moderation thread that is now LOCKED - why was it locked?

It was genuine discussion about the way these boards are moderated and administered with some reasonable points that surely should have been addressed and or kept open for other users' input rather than closing it down?

Feel free to lock this one down too, but I think at a point in time where EVERYONE can acknowledge that the boards are certainly not what they used to be then open discussion about how 'we' as a 'community' can address this decline is a positive thing? Particularly when those who raise the concern or contribute to the discussion are either supporters paying their own hard-earned into keeping this website alive, or long-term users of ab-music.

Basically, I'm baffled.

• Upvote 5

If we can have this discussion civilly and like adults then I'm all for it, the other thread was already turning into a flame thread so I addressed the original point then closed it. But yeah, go on.

You finished your post by saying this: "If you're going to throw your toys out of the pram every time we delete some nonsense post, then stop posting nonsense, problem solved."

Not really adressing the original point as much as making a smart comment and then locking the thread so no one can answer back....

• Upvote 1

You finished your post by saying this: "If you're going to throw your toys out of the pram every time we delete some nonsense post, then stop posting nonsense, problem solved."

Not really adressing the original point as much as making a smart comment and then locking the thread so no one can answer back....

Exactly, there could be a fair discussion over when you think a thread should be closed if it veers off topic has or run its course etc. But that really just came across as I want the last word so I'm closing it. Which I thought might have been a joke at first. 

It wasn't about getting the last word, while there were some good points being made in the thread, almost the entire first page had become "you're a dick, no you're a dick", which is absolutely not what the forums are for. I answered EC's question about why his original post was deleted, and then I had the option of either closing the thread, or deleting all flamey posts and letting the discussion continue. Whichever I chose, somebody would have had a go about it. I might have been a little bit trigger happy granted, but I have to moderate it as I see fit and I stand by the decision to close the thread, on the grounds that the question was answered, and it was escalating into an argument.

It wasn't about getting the last word, while there were some good points being made in the thread, almost the entire first page had become "you're a dick, no you're a dick", which is absolutely not what the forums are for. I answered EC's question about why his original post was deleted, and then I had the option of either closing the thread, or deleting all flamey posts and letting the discussion continue. Whichever I chose, somebody would have had a go about it. I might have been a little bit trigger happy granted, but I have to moderate it as I see fit and I stand by the decision to close the thread, on the grounds that the question was answered, and it was escalating into an argument.

what about a "you're a dick, no min you're a dick, min" forum?

srysly.

I used to love starting a fight on here, nae so much now- can't be arsed. I think it's an age thing. like most of the regular posters on here this site have become old. nuff said. 

I only come here to update the sidca thread and look at gear for sale. that's about it. the chat is whack. If I wanted whack chat I'd turn off CSI and ask my wife about whether the Foo Fighters were betterer than the Jesus Lizard. 

how come that Gordon Duffy thread ran and ran- it was a bit shit-and likewise shutterspeed- thought that shoulda been closed early.

but aye,

carry on.

Edited by maud 'dib
  • Upvote 2

For once jake has a point, good threads are made by boring threads going to "shit" ive got to admit i found my thread doing well for entertainment but i did see admins point in closing it but. Sometimes i still wander why frosty jack closed 2 guitars for sale going cheap. I started it as my old one was a mess. Im not the only one to do this so why pick on me. Bully. I just think before closing a thread give us a chance to discuss why its bieng closed and to give our point why it should and shouldnt be closed, to be honest i know it would be hard but maybe neil should just stick to locking thread as no offence i find some of the staff get power happy

The whole point of moderators is so Neil doesn't have to deal with closing threads and deleting posts.

I do agree that getting more people onto the boards is something that needs looking into. I remember going to gigs where people were going round asking if people were interested in signing up to the site, would it be possible to try and do something like that again, try and get some fresh members in, let people know about the site, word of mouth only goes so far.

The halcyon days of this forum are long gone but there's a glimmer of life in her yet and i'll be dammed if i'm gonna let her give up on me. Don't you die on me!

The poop/wanking/you're a dick chat is fine but it has to be weighed out with actual aberdeen music discussion - the raison d'etre for this site. I'm assuming that's how new members will find the site - google a question relating to aberdeen music and they'd land here, see some of the posts and want to join in? Difficulty is, Aberdeen Music hasn't been that interesting for a while. Noone really has any enthusiasm/critique for what anyone posts on here when it comes to music. Maybe all the interesting stuff is happening elsewhere and doesn't get posted about here - I'm sure that's the case.

There used to be a healthy slew of bands/folks posting for feedback on new songs, discussions of local gigs and general back and forths about local and non-local music. Now it seems to be thinning out to just a few core members and the odd Gordon Duthie. I mean, the Tuff Wax stuff is good, I enjoy knowing how that label is getting on and all the press and stuff - I have very little to say about it though. 'Some tracks I quite like', that's about as far as I'd get. That said, I'd get laldied in if there was a good discussion going on about it rather than just the odd 'nice one'. I'm just using that as an example... point is, you need all kinds of opinions, feedback, comments to create an interesting forum that prompts people to bother replying.

Anyway, are forums really used that much now? Shouldn't we all just switch to a /r/aberdeenmusic board or something?

Taking my staff members hat off for a second I think the site has become stagnant and I agree with a lot of what's said. As I posted in the other thread it's not moderation that's the problem though. I think when we do use our mod powers it might just stick out more because there's less on the site.  The main problem is lack of new posters and long standing posters no longer using the site.  Then those that are around might not necessarily be very musically active anymore so there's not a big contribution to the local music discussion anymore.

Fuck knows how we fix that. As far as I know we just keep treading water as we have been for the last few years   :(.  Like Adam I think I just come here out of habit myself now mostly. There are still occasional good threads like the FX chat and some of the more technical ones on recording etc. but they don't happen often.

I still like the site and don't want to see it die. I'll probably still be sitting in front of it hitting refresh occasionally when the last poster leaves...

I don't post a lot these days as my musical activity is changing and I actually have work to do at work these days.  I don't really have the same level of live performance output I once did but now heading in a more music production direction.  Unfortunately this isn't the place to discuss the technical stuff having tried a couple of times to catch some interest.  Having said that I still read posts every day, even the mundane stuff, habit and also the off chance that something interesting pops up.  I have bought some of my best equipment from people off here and I have found musical friends that I have done great things with on here.  I think there is still benefit in Aberdeen Music.  Lets start posting interesting stuff again.

Sometimes i still wander why frosty jack closed 2 guitars for sale going cheap. I started it as my old one was a mess. Im not the only one to do this so why pick on me. Bully. I just think before closing a thread give us a chance to discuss why its bieng closed and to give our point why it should and shouldnt be closed, to be honest i know it would be hard but maybe neil should just stick to locking thread as no offence i find some of the staff get power happy

I'll answer this one before considering the other stuff...

As I explained to you by private message, you had two threads going advertising the same gear for sale. That just gets confusing, and it was reported as such by other users. So I closed one of them down. As you then indicated you'd rather keep the other one open, I reopened the one you wanted and closed the other one instead. You then replied on your thread saying

Thanks frosty jack! Other thread closed as it was too messy

So I'm a bit confused as to why you're now unhappy about it? I don't think 'tidying the forum, messaging you, then adjusting it as you requested' counts as being a 'power happy' bully does it?

Anyway. No biggie. Carry on...

who the hell reported me to be fair i could report a few others for doing the same i understand why the all my my stuff for sale was locked i stated 2 guitars for sale because it was new stuff for sale. and all my stuff for sale part 2 was messy. i could name one member who constantly makes new posts about the same stuff but i dont really give a crap. to be fair if a thread goes messy delete the comments not the thread. im not having a go i know you were just doing what asked by whom ever, i under stand why the second one was closed but its just a tad annoying great threads are closed for people posting shit but theres no need to close the entire thread (im refering too all my stuff for sale part 1, and the outdoor sex aberdeen) on the outdoor sex aberdeen thread yes me and milner had a keyboard fight. but thats the only lively thing on this forum now

As someone so eloquently said this afternoon:

^guys got a point, stop moaning and get on with it

edit guy= Frosty Jack

Edited by Young Adolesent, Today, 02:52 PM. & then colb, Today, 22:42

Guest Giles Walker

Someone should start the "why i am leaving aberdeen-music thread" and then we should all just move on to pastures new.

Just make a subreddit or something, the over moderation is commented on by everyone and the cause for quite a few people i know to leave this place. 

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yeah i dont know why i still log on to this site now. force of habit. has been more or less pointless for several years, last good laff i got was when i posted an article about my music and some 40 year old pub rock fan started a flame war with me  about how aberdonian musicians are talented hacks and how i should check out some cover bands in london if i wanted to be put in my place

• Upvote 2

Guest Young Adolesent

to be honest ive been close to leaving a few times not because its boring or over moderating but. because of people on the forum just being complete ignorant arse holes. if the likes of Neil and other weren't here to stop these arse holes a lot more would have left or there would have been fist to fist fight instead of the usual keyboard warriors.

p.s. i removed my comments as i realized i was being a stupid shit

• Downvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i'm not really fussed abotu the moderation, it's fine that folks give up their time to help look after this site and i appreciate that. maybe it's time for it to die forever tho. 

one point - how much of this site is now related to music? virtually none. whatever is discussed is almost certainly 90s rock

the rest is folk talking about guitars, most of whom have never and will never play a gig outside of aberdeen

I don't want, nor need, an argument. I'm trying to make you aware of how easy you (and how easy it is to) come across as such.

Telling me what to do does no favours. I've read enough in the past little while to form an opinion but I can easy let things slide. Being aggressive at someone pointing out the fact that you can very easily (and clearly, as shown in this conversation as a perfect example) come across as an angsty kid, makes it very, very easy to completely turn that opinion on it's head.

Of course, my opinion matters 0% to you and I can appreciate that, however, it does no-one any favours being mouthy because someone is calling you on your adverse approach. :up: