aberdeen-music

Local Bands CD sales figures

jester1470

Hmm was just thinking about this, and was wondering what kind of sales figues the bands on the Aberdeen scene actiually achieve, what's good for local band sales, is it 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 ?

There are a lot of bands who are deemed to be popular and meant to be the bigger bands on the scene, how many stuff is actually getting sold, I know the Fat Hippy runs are limited, so how manyof them make the shops, how many go on press/pr and review etc.

I was just interested, I understand a lot of bands might not want to share this info but i just thought it would beinteresting to know,

Cheers

Stuart

we (deadenstereo) probably sold 90 or so of our last split single with Stigma. Mostly at gigs, although rumours abound that one was bought in OneUP.

We had about 150 pressed up, and probably sent the rest away, lost them, broke them or gave them to chicks to try and get them to let us touch them in nice places.

But, we don't consider ourselves very succesful at selling cds.

Craig

These figures are all pretty good for non pro bands playing only in Aberdeen. The bands I deal with are mainly pro national bands playing something like 300 gigs a year each, so you can't make a sales comparison, but I think you're all doing damn fine.

WBL did no bad on the CD front. 'our first EP' only ever had about 20 or 30 made and most of them went, the second EP with the funky case was the best seller though. On the opening night at the L8 CD launch we sold about 80. I think OneUp sold about 50 or 60 of that one CD with another 200-odd sold at various gigs over the year after it was put out. Also sent away about 150 of them to various magazine, promotors, given to other bands, chicks, DJs, the usual. The last CD there only sold about 50 copies in that one week of touring with about 20 odd sold in OneUp. If anyone wants a copy and can't get it out of OneUp just gimme a shout, they're all in my boot....

ERADICATE - Punks still not dead (tape)

500 hand produced copies (we stopped at 500, maybe I'll find the tally count some day)

500 produced in poland and seemingly sold out

Plus eventually we let a fair few non-profit (and for profit) distro's do up their own runs of 20-30

So yeah loads of copies there

ERADICATE - Get Active (tape)

250 Hand produced copies

Plus eventually we let a fair few non-profit (and for profit) distro's do up their own runs of 20-30

Inept 303 - Rotting Away CD

Maybe only 50 copies in total :swearing: I made at least 100

Guest Neubeatz

Well there is a user of the website here that has sold many tens of thousands of CDs, Not quite the type of music that this site usually promotes though, and he keeps very quiet about it. He is primarily a clever and astute businessman, aswell as a musician,

Whether or not he chooses to reveal his superstardom to the rest of the users remains to be seen, and is his perogative.

Me. I'm sworn to secrecy, sort of like a masonic thing.....;) honour amongst thieves or something like that.

:up:

But what I can reveal is that cd sales are on the decline, and should not be the only measure of success, after all, some artists never make a penny from their music till they are dead.

Edit=;Oh, and then its other people that get the money....;)

Well there is a user of the website here that has sold many tens of thousands of CDs

Yeah, I heard that before but it just annoyed me. If the guy wants people to know about his CD sales he'd tell us, it might make for an interesting perspective, but if not I don't see the point in his friends saying "it's all a big secret". Bollocks to that.

Either tell us the whole story or don't tell us.

Guest Neubeatz
Yeah, I heard that before but it just annoyed me. If the guy wants people to know about his CD sales he'd tell us, it might make for an interesting perspective, but if not I don't see the point in his friends saying "it's all a big secret". Bollocks to that.

Either tell us the whole story or don't tell us.

Ok, he's not a "friend" of mine, more of an exploiter of generosity...! a "situationist"

Any one that uses the site can suss out who it is by process of elimination, the information is freely available online, you just have to look in the right place,

I am saying no more than that (its not the guy from S Club though..:) ), or Tommy Dene lol!!!:D

Guest Sundaram
Ok' date=' he's not a "friend" of mine, more of an exploiter of generosity...! a "situationist"

Any one that uses the site can suss out who it is by process of elimination, the information is freely available online, you just have to look in the right place,

I am saying no more than that (its not the guy from S Club though..:) ), or Tommy Dene lol!!!:D[/quote']

I asked you not to talk about me!!!

:moody:

Ok' date=' he's not a "friend" of mine, more of an exploiter of generosity...! a "situationist"

I am saying no more than that (its not the guy from S Club though..:) ), or Tommy Dene lol!!!:D[/quote']

I would imagine theres a few people in that posiiton, the guys from Pallas for example, and I'm pretty sure there's a few people from bihher bands who have settled up here.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Tam o' Shantie

we sold about 50 copies of our very first recording in school

100 of our first semi-serious recording

got 50 copies of 'eaten by sharks' duplicated at a pressing plant, sold them all in a week

made 100 tour demos for our first UK tour in 2003 and sold them all

and now we have sold about 250 copies of it's a disaster

all in all = roughly 550 cds shifted, keep buying 'em and we'll keep making em

Is it the guy that owns the studio in the central belt-can't recall his name? He's had a number one record in fucking China!!!! He's a friend of Andy Ross, once of radio clyde now running radio cha cha in china.