aberdeen-music

GTA V

Chris

I wasn't going to buy GTA5, mostly due to the reasons others have mentioned in this thread (maps too large etc) but, given the reviews, i get the impression it's revolutionary. I will thus be buying it and no doubt throwing the next 6 months of my life away. Ho hum.

Where's the best place, price-wise, folks have got a copy from?

It's annoying that it's constantly bugging you to install the app, especially if you don't have an iphone or ipad!

First impressions:

The self righting cars feels wrong.

Overall feel of the game is very similar to IV, but guess it's mostly the same engine so to be expected.

Skipping between characters isn't as big a ballache as I thought it would be.

It's a fucking blast.

The strangers missions are good fun. So far I've had the mundane (tow truck) and the ridulous (smoking weed and shooting aliens).

Red Dead fans might see some familiar sights in the cinema.

This is all over my facebook atm. Bit moot since I don't have a console but I felt a bit like Neepheid. Loved 3 and thought Vice City was definitive but didn't care much for San Andreas. The characters seemed cringingly contrived and cheesy and the huge-living-breathing-world pretensions increasingly fatuous: in practice it seemed to involve aimlessly driving around increasingly but redundantly vast maps before finally crashing your vehicle off a cliff, and on the other engaging in mind-numbing minutiae like the aforementioned clothes, haircuts, gym sessions etc. Feel the same way about V's characters so far, and there seems to be a big emphasis on accumulating bling: buying cars, apartments, clothes, etc.

That said, like everyone else I was blown away by the city and sky-diving vistas, and the jet buzzing the skyscraper, and though must-play-this. But then I saw the videos of paratroopers and helicopters tearing up actual downtown Shanghai in BF4 and thought this is much better, without all the other crud.

*I skipped IV entirely and it may well have awesome, I dunno; it (or at least the protagonist) seemed to have the opposite problem of being really po-faced compared to Vice City/Tommy Vercetti's parody cool.

Quick question for those who are good at these things...

I've got a PS3 and XBOX. I prefer the controller and achievements on the 360, so I'd prefer to get it on that. However, I've got one of the first models and not sure if I've got 8gb free on the hard-drive. I could delete some of the retro games I've got installed but I'd prefer not to tbh.

I've got a Toshiba Story Teller external hard-drive with a USB connection. Could I just install it on there? If so, would it then just be a case of playing it with the disc in the console as long as I had the hard-drive connected to the console?

Also, are the graphics largely the same on both? If it's noticably better on the Playstation I'll probably get it on that, but if it's similar, and it's not too much hassle to install on the XBOX I'll get it for that I reckon.

Thanks

Also, are the graphics largely the same on both? If it's noticably better on the Playstation I'll probably get it on that, but if it's similar, and it's not too much hassle to install on the XBOX I'll get it for that I reckon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

TL;DR Graphics are marginally better on Playstation. Performance is marginally better on Xbox.

It's annoying that it's constantly bugging you to install the app, especially if you don't have an iphone or ipad!

First impressions:

The self righting cars feels wrong.

Overall feel of the game is very similar to IV, but guess it's mostly the same engine so to be expected.

Skipping between characters isn't as big a ballache as I thought it would be.

It's a fucking blast.

The strangers missions are good fun. So far I've had the mundane (tow truck) and the ridulous (smoking weed and shooting aliens).

Red Dead fans might see some familiar sights in the cinema.

Finally got it to work. Now I get notifications about when Chop needs water. Fuck sake. Fuck off dog just do tricks and leave me alone.

I cycled to the top of a mountain last night and had my first encounter with wildlife.  Looks like the shit your pants when a big cat jumps at you out of nowhere moments from Red Dead have been imported to GTA.

Anyone else noticed any scripting bugs when you jump between characters?  Couple of times the NPC that's been with the character I've switched to hasn't been where they're supposed to be so doors will open with no-one near them or my character will be talking to a wall.