aberdeen-music

Netflix Recommendations

Lemonade

Bobby Fischer Against the World - I'm not really interested in chess and knew nothing about him but found this absolutely fascinating, great insight into the mind of the genius, which is never without madness...

Man on Wire - Pretty well known as this was huge when it came out, but I really like this, great bit of escapism..I actually can't believe its true

Exit Through The Gift Shop - Street art documentary by Banksy (aka Shepherd Fairey) on Mr Brainwash (aka Banksy) ... i'm sure theres more to this than meets the eye... end up feeling like Im watching Kaiser Sosais

Upside Down The Creation Records Story - Whenevr I think of Creation records I think of Oasis, so instantly switch off, and wasn't really aware of all the bands on this label (bit before my time) but this is really enjoyable, and some of the bands are pretty cool (except oasis and primal scream) Great story

Anton Corbijn : Inside Out - might be boring if you have no idea who he is, but if you know him then worth a look, not quite on the same wavelength as Bobby Fischer but some similarities....quite an isolated guy

End of the road : how money became worthless - worth a look but nothing particularly startling, although I did enjoy someone echoing my own setiments that capitalism is just a ponsi scheme....

Couple that looked interesting but I turned off half way through The Corporation (over 2 hours of the same thing) Sketches of Frank Gehry (might come back to this one, but if you've ever seen the simpsons with frank gehry, they absolutely nailed him and his inspiration!) Modify (about body modification, from body builders to fucked up people like that catman)

Nothing else really grabbing me, but the documentaries are far more interesting than any of the films they have.

Last film I watched on it was Gone Baby Gone. Ben Affleck film featuring his younger brother, Casey Affleck and Morgan Freeman. Pretty decent and gripping film.

Normally just get stuck into tv series though. Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a must and completely addicted to King of The Hill on US Netflix.

I watched a really good documentary the other night called Radio Bikini. It's about Bikini Atoll, the idyllic island in the Pacific that America decided it was going to use to test nuclear bombs. They punted all the indigenous people off the island, telling them it was only for a few months and it was for the good of mankind, then they dropped atomic bombs on it. That was in the 50s and the place is still radioactive and uninhabitable. They also declined to tell their own soldiers that radiation is, ya know, dangerous, and exposed thousands of unwitting soldiers to nuclear fall out. It's all made up of footage from the time, news reports, propaganda films etc. Insane footage of the bombs going off. Really crazy stuff.

• 2 months later...

This didn't really take off. I may combine it with the "Watch This" thread. 

Anyway, just in case anyone missed it, "You've Been Trumped" is now on UK Netflix.

Yeah, do this. There's definitely value in a recommendation thread. The TV series thread performs the same function I guess but documentaries, etc get missed.

Are you guys still having luck with the manual DNS settings to get US Netflix through Xbox? Mine stopped working completely, and can't get it back again. UK Netflix sucks. I don't want to watch Mock the bastard Week.

Mine is still working but it's acting the cunt (see my QQ from yesterday). I use this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBUbSrorV4

Or for in browser:

www.mediahint.com 

Are you guys still having luck with the manual DNS settings to get US Netflix through Xbox? Mine stopped working completely, and can't get it back again. UK Netflix sucks. I don't want to watch Mock the bastard Week.

Mine stopped a few weeks ago, I'm now using VPN Express on my Ipad and streaming to TV. It's less than ideal but it still works.

• 4 weeks later...

My Life as a Jerk - documentary on the Circle Jerks. Mostly talking heads (the band themselves for 90%) and live footage. Keith Morris is ooooooooooold now.

Thinky Pain - Marc Maron's stand up special. Much sharper than I thought after trying to watch his TV show and giving up after a couple of episodes. Very funny.

I am watching "The League" at the moment. It's quite funny if you fancy something light and stupid. I've also watched House of Cards, the first 2 seasons of Dexter, 3 seasons of Nurse Jackie. I would recommend all these things. I haven't watched normal telly since I got a Playstation.  

How do you go about setting up your xbox for the us netflix?

google, or youtube "xbox netflix us settings uk" or something to that effect. Follow the instructions to change your DNS settings in your network set up.

EDIT: You won't get new Breaking Bad though, if you're that way inclined.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee