aberdeen-music

Dummy Magazine Essay: Meanwhile, in the UK's Dance underground...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

This ain't really a news post, just thought I would draw your attention to a really interesting and in-depth article on one of the largest UK music & culture publications out there. I know a lot of folks are maybe semi-interested on the musical goings-on of myself and the other folks involved with Tuff Wax but maybe aren't really aware of quite what we're about musically. 

This article does a really good job of covering & explaining the current status of a musical movement that has been evolving for the last few years in the UK's clubs. Hybrids of various styles, electronic and otherwise are married together and there is a large leaning towards experimentation and the freedom to work with as many or few differing influences at once within a track or a DJ set. There are a lot of great labels & artists named, the vast majority of whom we've looked up to for years and been influenced by in one way or another, as a group. 

I'm also really fucking proud that my music was mentioned, along with Zubuntu and Tuff Wax as a whole. The youngest member of our crew, Jamie (Zubuntu) is already making serious waves and creating some fantastic stuff at age 19. There is also a Soundcloud track of mine embedded into the article and immediately after tweeting the link and thanking the publication, dubstep pioneer & Radio 1 DJ Skream retweeted my post to 130k people. This sort of thing is just really overwhelming and encouraging, but I'm rambling a bit now so here's the article.

http://www.dummymag.com/features/2013/07/02/essay-meanwhile-in-the-uk-s-dance-underground/

Enjoy!

• Upvote 8

Guest Giles Walker

It is good to see, even better is that this article frames you guys not just as a bunch of dudes making music in Aberdeen, but as actual contributors to the burgeoning (post post-dubstep) uk scene as a whole. 

Instead of defining itself by what it isn't, it seems like people are starting to define it by what it is. Which can only be a good thing. 

Guest Tam o' Shantie

It is good to see, even better is that this article frames you guys not just as a bunch of dudes making music in Aberdeen, but as actual contributors to the burgeoning (post post-dubstep) uk scene as a whole. 

Instead of defining itself by what it isn't, it seems like people are starting to define it by what it is. Which can only be a good thing. 

Yeah it must be the first time I've seen myself and TW's agenda laid out in a manner that implies its worth alongside the bigger players. It definitely eschews the 'Hey, check this out, you won't believe this. Some hicks in Aberdeen are actually doing something not bad, considering it's not Glasgow or London!' tone of some articles but it's more than that isn't it. 

It means more from a UK publication as well, as some American blogs in the past have done the whole 'Hud Mo, Rustie, S-Type, Lockah? There must be something in the Whisky!' type stuff too. All in all i'm just mega hyped after this, plus it's just a GOOD read for those who are interested in learning. 

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Great positive mention! Loved that embedded track of yours, that's very much my cup of tea.

Cheers man! That EP has done really well so I'm happy

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I enjoyed the article, very good read.

You seem to be a decent amount of recognition lately, I hope it continues / increases.

Yeah half me is really happy about the mention, the other half is just really impressed with how much ground is covered. really good read