aberdeen-music

music software

framheim

so what's best for what? i've got cooledit and it's great fun and seems fairly practical for recording as well but is there better ones to get that won't break the bank? should i invest in something like fruityloops as well? is there amazing programmes out there that aren't well known? post your opinions here.

Personally I can't stand Cool Edit (or adobe audition as its now known), just looks shit and takes too many clicks to get decent things done.....

For simplicity recording and features aplenty, Sony Vegas is worth checking out. Its a video editing bit of software, but is a very powerful multitrack program, I run it on my laptop for capturing audio before porting to cubase or nuendo....probably costs a few notes mind (kazaa! kazaa!!!)

VEGAS

vegas.gif

CUBASE

cubase.gif

cubase2.gif

Of course, I'd recommend a res of at least 1400x1280 to use these programs......sucks on my laptop ;(

is it worth getting cubase rather than cubasis? bearing in mind i have no idea what i'm doing and would just be mucking around for a while and not anywhere near pro level or anything like that.

what is reason? (sounds very philosophical that)

Yeah cubase is the shit as far as im concerned.

Reason is a programme like Fruity loops but more complicated and better i think anyway. Good for creating tracks on if you've got the time to dick about with it.

Guest Neubeatz

Hmmn

The midi on my Cubasevst32 didnt seem to work any more, and wouldnt take a midi in signal, so last night I tried Cubasis5, and it seemed to be crap, I tried a plugin called "Spacesynth" and straight away the damned thing locked up and crashed the machine,...pi55!!!

Reinstalling the old vst32 fixed the midi, but unless you have a decent soundcard you will get unuseable latency if you try anything live other than the GM sounds, or sound fonts if your system accomodates them

I have never got a decent result from cubase in years of use, I dont know if "SX" is more intuitive than these older win98 compatible versions that I have but, honestly the older ones are good for.....................................................................................................

Sony Acid is worth a blast,

On the topic, I have Vegas, never tried it though, does it run midi Keilan???

Heh nope, should have mentioned Vegas is strictly audio only....just not a midi man myself here....all I use cubase for is mixing audio (wav tracks).....even things that would be easier in MIDI (like drum triggers) I cut and paste in Cubase cos its just easier, no latency problems working with wav files....you're in full control.....

triggering.gif

Guest Neubeatz

Right,

I need the midi coz my guitar arm is fucked so its all keyboard for me..;)

Yes, I have a disc with SX, and Nuendo, but they both want 2k or XP, easy peasy, but not on a p450mhz,

pennies, pennies, more pennies....:)

i need a new monitor - trying to run T-Racks (a mastering plug in) on a 1024x768 screen is impossible. I've tried Fruityloops and to be honest it didn't do anything for me. weirdly i find it more difficult to use than cubase sx2 !!! i found reason very easy to use as well but i don't have a copy to use...the drum machine that's built in is worth the money ( ;) ) on it's own....

Hey Dave, as far as I'm aware Cubasis is pretty darned good for a budget sequencer, does a lot of the things Cubase does, but is only 50 or so. Obviously Cubase has a lot of extras, but it will cost you a few extra pounds.

Right now I'm using Reason and Ableton Live 3.0, Reason for the backing, and Live for recording audio. You can link the two up so they play in tandem, which kicks ass, especially for playing live with Popcorn Fiend. I'd recommend both of those, though I think combined they'd cost over 500, unless you can find, ermm, a cheaper way of acquiring them...

Guest davetherave

Theres too much choice when it comes to music software, but not much at the budget end. This package doesnt look bad for the price ? I've not used it, so I cant comment, but I'm sure theres a review on the web somewhere.

http://www.fasttrak.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=60

Personally I'm spoilt as I'm now using Digidesigns MBox with Pro Tools , an excellent package for 350. :up: Easier to use and a great selection of plugins, I almost stopped using my stompboxes and fx, but then I'd have nothing to do with my feet :laughing:

Cheers,

Dave

For makign loops and/or beat get Fruity Loops producer edition I thing its called.

Don't listen to people who say Reason is better, they are just using the programs as they are.

There are 100's of GREAT plug-ins for Fruity Loops and can support Plug-in's that can be imported from Cool Edit, N-Track, Sound Forge all the popular programs.

Reason has a very little amount of plug-ins and can't support most if any Vst plug-ins like better compressors and equalizers

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still a fan of Cool Edit / Adobe Audition - although I'm currently learning the ropes with Ableton Live with an eye to moving the live set up a notch. Fruity Loops is also a great package. Currently downloading Cubasis5 over a 56k modem (it's taking F*CKING AGES!) as I loved using it for that Midi course earlier this year.