aberdeen-music

decent amp wanted

Guest Young Adolesent

the first post clearly states the guy wants a keyboard amp , why are people trying to sell him guitar combos , he'll just blow the speakers oot :(

I don't understand how a keyboard would blow the speakers out of an amp unless it was being played very very loud. As long as you don't drive the amp too much (which is unlikely when it's a 100w he's after) it should be fine. A keyboard would have a higher output than a guitar though so you would need to adjust your volume and settings accordingly. Similar to when you switch between low and high output guitars.

Amps are well hardy. More so than people seem to think. I had a wee Marshall combo for years that has had every instrument imaginable ran through it and in fact Milner now uses it for playing his electric drum kit through.

Aye true that but also the cleaner sounding amp the better for that job eh?

Not necessarily. The guy from Deep purple ran his Hammond Organ through a distorted Marshall amp. But for straight up keyboards yeah a cleaner amp is probably best.

The amp I offered him is very clean though. It also has High and Low inputs which would be handy for having both a guitar and keyboard plugged in and not having to muck around too much when you swap what you are playing. 

I don't understand how a keyboard would blow the speakers out of an amp unless it was being played very very loud. As long as you don't drive the amp too much (which is unlikely when it's a 100w he's after) it should be fine. A keyboard would have a higher output than a guitar though so you would need to adjust your volume and settings accordingly. Similar to when you switch between low and high output guitars.

Amps are well hardy. More so than people seem to think. I had a wee Marshall combo for years that has had every instrument imaginable ran through it and in fact Milner now uses it for playing his electric drum kit through.

so why do people like Roland and Yamaha bother to make keyboard specific amps ?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_amplifier

:ding:

Yeah this. There is no reason you would blow an amp, unless your doing something wrong with it. 

We practised for years with one of my old bands putting the Roland piano through any guitar amp we could use, usually a shitty 15W thing that was pumped up full and we never blew the speakers. There is nothing a piano does that is that more tasking than a guitar.

As phil says i use shitty wee combo's for running my electric drums through with no issues at all. 

so why do people like Roland and Yamaha bother to make keyboard specific amps ?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_amplifier

Not because you blow a normal amp, but because they design amps to sound better with keyboards due to the different frequencies involved with a keyboard. 

Again, an electric piano, or keyboard, will not blow an amp, unless the amp is being misused. 

As mentioned its all to do with the frequency responces the amp is designed for.  A guitar amp is usually voiced to give a greater mid range responce where as a PA or keyboard amp is set for a more flat range responce to accuratly reproduce the signal of the input without adding its own "tone" to the sound. 

If you turn back the clock on amplifier development you'll find back in the early days generally an amp was just a generic amplifier and was used to amplify whatever you could plug into it.  Manufacturers developed the different amps as musicians found they wanted to improve their sounds in more specific directions as the more generic amps didn't cut it. 

From a manufacturing point of view if they can sell a Guitar, Bass, Keyboard and PA amp they can make more money than if they just sell an "amp".  80's Peaveys are a good example of a manufacturer making the most of this as they had a set of generic power amps that they would just stick a guitar/bass or keyboard pre amp infront of and then mount in the appropriately styled cab. 

the first post clearly states the guy wants a keyboard amp , why are people trying to sell him guitar combos , he'll just blow the speakers oot :(

It wasn't clearly stated really. It said it must be able to take a keyboard. Didn't state it was specifically for keyboard. Plenty of guitar amps are capable of handling a keyboard/synth/whatever.

Guest Young Adolesent

Thanks for advice and fatboy. He used to play in a MASSIVE bands in the 70s when he was a drummer until he got arthiritus in his hand now he sings. Plays harnonica. Guitar and keyboard

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...