aberdeen-music

Collections

fatboy

One of them is red. That can't be yours, surely

It is. Think I've worn it...once.

4th one up on the right, does that say Bumsnogger?

Yep. Sludge band from Nottingham that played Dr Drakes back in...2005 or something.

I'm procastinating at work so from Top-Bottom, L-R

Infest, Sufferinfuck, Iron Lung, Certain Death, Neanderthal, Hard Skin, Violent Minds, Maximum Rock'n'Roll, GWAR, Backstabbers Inc.

Korpse, Yacopsae, Starve, Crossed Out, Infest, Lobotomized, Adrenalin O.D., Neurosis, GGI Glasgow 2012 (I think this still counts as a band shirt, since it's a fest and is just a bunch of band logos)

Step On It, Anaeroba, Army of Flying Robots, Siege, Burning Skies, Capitalist Casualties, Alpinist, Vakunoht

Maggotworks, Divide, xSAXONx, Impaled Nazarene, Fighting Shit, Bumsnogger, War Crimes, Visceral Attack, Gatechien

There's more than in the picture, but they were in the wash.

Edited by Teabags

It is. Think I've worn it...once.

Yep. Sludge band from Nottingham that played Dr Drakes back in...2005 or something.

I'm procastinating at work so from Top-Bottom, L-R

Infest, Sufferinfuck, Iron Lung, Certain Death, Neanderthal, Hard Skin, Violent Minds, Maximum Rock'n'Roll, GWAR, Backstabbers Inc.

Korpse, Yacopsae, Starve, Crossed Out, Infest, Lobotomized, Adrenalin O.D., Neurosis, GGI Glasgow 2012 (I think this still counts as a band shirt, since it's a fest and is just a bunch of band logos)

Step On It, Anaeroba, Army of Flying Robots, Siege, Burning Skies, Capitalist Casualties, Alpinist, Vakunoht

Maggotworks, Divide, xSAXONx, Impaled Nazarene, Fighting Shit, Bumsnogger, War Crimes, Visceral Attack, Gatechien

There's more than in the picture, but they were in the wash.

you wash your clothes?

Books, I guess, are the only things I've really hoarded. But circumstances always compel me to sell/give away hunners of  them every few years. Right now I just have one bookcase and am presently looking to sell it off. One day I'm determined to have a room full of dusty hardcovers though.

I do have a couple of pretty awesome vintage watches I eventually got from my dad... too expensive to collect methinks, but I'd still like to add 1 more to pass on to any son I might manage to have...

I've got all my old gig tickets stashed away somewhere but haven't been to one for a few years now :( Will hopefully resume again soon...

I collect maps.

I have also started to collect whisky, especially single malt Scotch.

I hate having costly inclinations.

Started dabbling in whisky a bit recently and I'd also like to collect some when circumstances allow... I think I'd be drinking it too avidly to really establish much of a collection though. I also wouldn't mind acquiring some kind of historical memorabilia from modern Asia-Pacific region/eras, no idea what though.

My late brother did have a pretty impressive console collection. Nothing as old as Lucky's Ataris but he had everything from a few generations, something like - PS1, N64, Saturn; PS2, GameCube, Xbox; PS3, Wii, 360; as well as GameBoy Color, DS, PSP. He also had hundreds and hundreds of DVDs covering the walls of a couple of rooms.

Edited by scottyboy

I collect maps. From ordnance survey maps of areas of particular significance to me, to a small collection of antique maps and street plans. I also have a large interest in Word War II battle maps, and I was gifted a couple of Normandy maps which I love.

I think maps are beautiful to look at, and full of a wide range of interesting information, as well as acting as a great memento of a visit. When I was playing in bands and touring, several places really captured my imagination, and my map collection stemmed from that, as I would always endeavour to pick up maps of my favoured towns. I bought Mrs Eupraxia an antique map of Lille a while back, and it features a prominent star fort; it looks like Optimus Prime. It is similar to this, but zooming in more on the star fort itself.

I have also started to collect whisky, especially single malt Scotch.

I hate having costly inclinations.

My old flat would be visible on the modern-day equivalent of that Lille map. 

Cool collection bro. I don't collect them but I too like a good map. Particularly transport systems actually. I like seeing how areas of a city can vary depending on how they are connected to the system. (i.e. areas with subway stops are generally more prosperous). There's something really satisfying about the shape of a transit system and it being connected to both the geography and social spread of a city 

This thread has made me realize I don't collect things like I used to. I might have to change that. The only thing you could call a collection in my house is 'novelty kitchen things'. I have loads of pizza cutters, garlic presses, tin openers, salt and pepper shakers etc with various designs. Not novelty like having tits on them or anything, more things like that look like other things like :

Luchador-Bottle-Opener_24752-l.jpg

pizza-peddler-rolling-pizza-cutter-2.jpg

avocado-large.jpg

I used to collect DVDs but they are a) useless now and b) stuck in an attic at my parent's place. I have thousands. Tried to flog them before I left the country but it was too much work. 

I also used to collect La Fee Verte and absinthe related stuff. It's all in storage now too. Things like old posters I'd come across or abinsthe glasses/spoons. Anything to do with the drink really - ads, paraphanelia, etc. There's something fascinating about absinthe - how it got this stigma for turning people crazy, how noone really knows what it is exactly and also the post-impressionist/early art-deco Toulouse Lautrec styling of its advertising.

• Upvote 1

I totally nerd out over old maps and town plans and relate them to Google maps. It's really fascinating, especially when comparing maps and prospects of London from the 1600s to today - the street layout within the old city walls is still intact. I recently stood on the spot William Wallace was effectively eviscerated, which I was able to identify due to old maps and layouts of the Smithfield area.

My most treasured map is a D-Day battle map, showing the whole of Normandy, denoting where all the British and American airbourne drop zones were, the five landing beaches, Point du Hoc, and all of the key battles immediately following D-Day. These are not especially difficult to come by, but it's an interesting thing to look at and assimilate.

My favourite online map resources, for anyone interested:

http://maps.nls.uk/towns/

http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/mapmakers/braun_hogenberg.html#maps

The above Braun and Hogenberg collection is absolutely fucking awesome.

And the remarkable John Slezer: 

http://digital.nls.uk/slezer/find.html

I love old maps as well, got quite a few copies and some originals, my prized posession is a Blaeu original from 1645ish of Westmorland.

I generally collect nice artwork and have original, either paintings or sketches by Rodney Matthews, Geoff Taylor, Andrew Skilleter and Peter Firmin, as well as lots of comic artwork.

I used to have a huge Nightmare Before Christmas collection, but it really got out of hand and I had nowhere to display it all - I kept the most sentimental items (still a huge box full) and sold off all the rest.

Now it seems to be Moomins-related stuff that I collect, with my lovely friends and family picking me up little bits and pieces wherever they see it - I've got an ace bag and apron, cookie cutters etc...

Guest Giles Walker

That's a formidable collection, have you collected many genres?

80s Hip Hop, Disco Rap, Disco, Boogie, Post Punk, No Wave, Psych, Bubblegum, Ye Ye, 80s House, 80s Electro, the weirder end of reggae, funk, soul, bits of jazz. Lots of stuff that sounds quite disparate, but makes sense if you hear me djing with it. 

A lot of the things i collect are things that don't exist on vinyl and fall between the cracks of the defined genres.

Today i bought a weird bare bones percussion disco record by a well known ska band, an 80s electro record by a well known reggae production duo, a percussion record that falls somewhere between disco and hi nrg, a french batucada percussion record that was played on the 80s italo disco scene, a promo only 12" version of a post punk track that is slightly different from the album version, a french cover version of one of my favourite northern soul records and a solo record by a member of Manfred Mann that features Paul Mccartney on guitar. 

I also buy old rave, garage, 90s house, ebm, industrial and new records now and again, as and when i see them, i bought a lot of 60s 7"s last month. 

I mainly have a boner for anything late 70s/early 80s that would have been played on the downtown scene in New York.

Guest Giles Walker

Edit:

You asked if i have collected many genres, not if i collect many genres. Yeah, a lot of funk 7"s, soul 7"s, northern soul 7"s , jazz 7"s, disco 12s & 7s, post punk albums 7s & 12s, Indie 7"s, a bit of italo, some rave & early jungle, garage & early dubstep, 80s house, late 90s/early 00s deep house, most broken beat 12s, most classic hip hop 12"s 79-04, almost every cut and paste hip hop record made, most of the classic b boy records. the list goes on tbh. But yeah, i cover a few different bases. 

Guest Giles Walker

I'm just starting my record collection, it's still small, but I'll take a picture tonight.

I'm wanting to rebuy all my cds as vinyl. But I have a LOT of cds.

Why bother dude? You could spend that money exploring new and exciting music that maybe didn't come out on cd. There is a mountain of music that never made the switch from vinyl/cassette to cd/digital that will just be lost forever if people don't look for it. 

Are you going to buy a decent record player, needle, amp, speakers etc to play your new records? If you're just going to play your vinyl versions of cds on a substandard system, there is barely any point. 

Also, most modern vinyl sounds like shit anyway, so you would just be ploughing your money into yet another way to pointlessly damage the environment at no real benefit to your ears. 

I would think seriously about whether it is worth your time investing so much money into this pursuit. 

Also have you met record collectors? They're mostly a bunch of uptight dorks.

On the other hand though, it is nice to have lots of records...

• Upvote 5

Guest Giles Walker

A few choice pieces, and i am starting to collect most of them on 7" as well. There is a lot of UR stuff on vinyl to collect and a lot of it is what they used to refer to as "Storm Trooper techno"

Why bother dude? You could spend that money exploring new and exciting music that maybe didn't come out on cd. There is a mountain of music that never made the switch from vinyl/cassette to cd/digital that will just be lost forever if people don't look for it. 

Are you going to buy a decent record player, needle, amp, speakers etc to play your new records? If you're just going to play your vinyl versions of cds on a substandard system, there is barely any point. 

Also, most modern vinyl sounds like shit anyway, so you would just be ploughing your money into yet another way to pointlessly damage the environment at no real benefit to your ears. 

I would think seriously about whether it is worth your time investing so much money into this pursuit. 

Also have you met record collectors? They're mostly a bunch of uptight dorks.

On the other hand though, it is nice to have lots of records...

I'm currently using my grandparent's old record player. It seems pretty good quality. I could always upgrade. And to be honest, it is much more from a collection point of view that I want them on record instead of CD. I probably won't do it for all my cds, but at least for my favourite bands.