aberdeen-music

Genres

ca_gere

I can understand all these sub-genres. Really, tis just how to describe it to someone who hasn't heard it before. Which is why I can sometimes be headr saying "they're like a psych-punk-metal band playing jazz" or some bullshit. It doesn't really matter, as long as it kind fo describes the sound.

Unless its powerviolence. Everyone should stay the fuck away from the term powerviolence unless they actually know what it fucking is, you cunts.

• Upvote 3

I don't really care about genres really, someone could describe Needleman as pyromaniac spaffcore and the most important part to take from that is that they've listened to us and they're trying to describe us to someone else in a way that might lead to another person listening to and becoming aware of my band.

Genres really are just a personal attempt at describing music so i've never had a problem with them.

• Upvote 1

Beating the dead horse regards "world music" possibly, but it struck me that we were still talking about Western-style pop music, just from different regions. My beef was also to do with the merging of diffuse musical styles as well as music from different regions. Maybe it's just not an exclusively Western tendency after all.

Decent opinion piece I found via wiki: http://www.davidbyrne.com/news/press/articles/I_hate_world_music_1999.php

I don't mind how many terms people use while trying to describe a band to someone. But if the band defines themselves as a genre with too many wanky terms then they're douchebags.

All of this...unless its powerviolence. Everyone should stay the fuck away from the term powerviolence unless they actually know what it fucking is, you cunts.

Is crabcore not just what I would call 'metal', but defined by the stance adopted while they play their guitars? I don't think that should count as a genre, how do I know they were standing like that while they were in the studio? I could be listening to goodposturecore and not know it.